cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, September 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - 2021 Fall Seller Update

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! 

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat. This week we’re joined by the eBay Seller Update team. They are here to address any questions you may have about the 2021 Fall Seller Update. 

If you need a refresher, you can read more about the Update here.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. We’ll review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT, at which point the thread will be closed from additional responses. After that time, the team will continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

**Please note that while off-topic questions will not be removed, they will be answered after the chat closes, to allow priority to remain on the topic for this week's chat. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Community Chat, September 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - 2021 Fall Seller Update

Changes to User Agreement.....Can we hope that in the next Update, ebay will actually provide a detailed, side by side type of format so we can actually SEE the changes without having to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what ebay could communicate with ease if you guys just made the tiniest effort?

-----

Edit: A response to your question can be found here

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

Stores---"Over the coming weeks, you’ll also see new features to improve how you engage buyers on your Store,.."

Can you provide a more definite timeline for these features? And will they be rolled out gradually, or will we all get them at basically the same time?  Obviously, if they were already live, it would be easier to ask any questions we might have about the features....

-----
Message 3 of 41
latest reply

PL Advanced---Again, can we get a definite time frame for this?

We'd be better able to ask questions if had already gone live...but I just checked and I see nothing so far. I also understand ebay will be providing an "Ad Academy"---can you provide any insights into that? Is that for PLA only, or also PL Standard?

-----

Edit: A response for your question can be found here

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

welcoming the team.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Changes to User Agreement.....Can we hope that in the next Update, ebay will actually provide a detailed, side by side type of format so we can actually SEE the changes without having to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what ebay could communicate with ease if you guys just made the tiniest effort?

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  thanks for your feedback. This is something that we noticed which was mentioned in this update and we are looking into making this more transparent in the future. 

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

PLA---Keyword bidding....would i be bidding on ONE keyword, or could it be a combination of specific keywords (ie, "phone" or "Pixel 4a Smart Phone") And would I be able to exclude specific keywords as well? 

-----

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

In connection with "Promoted Listings expansion and rebrand"....

After the launch of Google Adwords approx 20 years ago... we wasted a considerable amount of money on a program that never really produced results for us.  In addition, the lawsuits that were filed in connection with click-fraud left us with a loss of confidence as to whether the program would ever really work for an independent small business operating on eBay.

While we have some skepticism... we want to be open to evaluating the possibilities of a new and improved ad program.  I read the update but didn't see a reference to how trademarked keywords are being addressed as eBay launches their version of a keyword program.  Has the subject come up yet?  Many eBay listings are focused around specific (authentic) brands that that shoppers may be trying to find.  Just wondering if there is more information as to how the program might function in regard to trademarked keywords.

Thanks,

Dave

-----

Message 8 of 41
latest reply

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques in terms of providing a definite timeline of when these features will go live, I cannot provide that at this time. A part of our goal in this Seller Update and future ones, is to provide updates on features which will go live within approximately a few months after we announce the update. As of right now the plan for the stores feature expansion is to release this broadly for ebay.com so there shouldn't be too much of a delay. 

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

A couple things mentioned as "coming" at ebay Open Online did NOT appear in the Update, but that doesn't mean they couldn't appear sometime before the end of the year. So:

What is the status of video for store listings and store home pages? Before the end of the year, or no? (and what will happen to existing video links to YouTube videos when ebay begins hosting the videos?)

What is the status of the Social Media Referral FVF, which I believe was quoted as something like 2.54%? Before the end of the year? (Most especially, in time for Q4?)

-----

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@saturdaystoys wrote:

In connection with "Promoted Listings expansion and rebrand"....

After the launch of Google Adwords approx 20 years ago... we wasted a considerable amount of money on a program that never really produced results for us.  In addition, the lawsuits that were filed in connection with click-fraud left us with a loss of confidence as to whether the program would ever really work for an independent small business operating on eBay.

While we have some skepticism... we want to be open to evaluating the possibilities of a new and improved ad program.  I read the update but didn't see a reference to how trademarked keywords are being addressed as eBay launches their version of a keyword program.  Has the subject come up yet?  Many eBay listings are focused around specific (authentic) brands that that shoppers may be trying to find.  Just wondering if there is more information as to how the program might function in regard to trademarked keywords.

Thanks,

Dave

Very good question you have asked.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Thanks chelsea. Transparency is always good.

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

chelsea, you do see why I say it would be more useful to actually go live with this stuff, and THEN come to Weekly Chat, right?  So, I hope the team will return when this stuff actually goes live, and we have time to actually look at it.

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

This may be off topic, though I had a response in the update questions about it........  There is a problem with what categories show if one uses "ebay" categories (as opposed to making your own) as the choice in the store set up information.  If you look at one of my listings only 3 categories show up, versus the string of categories when you go to my store.

At the update, someone said they were investigating and would get back to me......As yet, I've not heard anything directly, nor did I see any update in the update.....  lol..........so is there any update? 

Sorry........not sure if anyone is here from the stores team........

-----

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques we don't have a more definite date outside of what we shared in Seller Update (starting in late September). There will be more seller education training available around the time you start to see PLA. In the meantime you can check out Seller School.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: