cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 27 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: Community Chat, October 27 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@jamsionline wrote:

Is there any way for us to see what categories and item specifics our listings *used* to have versus where they have ended up after the change? I know there is that big mapping of all the old categories vs new but what about for all the item specifics? Are we just expected to spend the time going through each and every listing individually to ensure they are correct? We have thousands of listings and this will just kill us on time and wages. 

Hi @jamsionline - you're right that the only place to see the old categories is in that monster-sized document.

However, the item specific values should not have changed, but the container/label for the item specific may have. Meaning, if your (hypothetical) item specific was a Pattern: FairFax, we may call that 'style' now, but the value should remain FairFax. 

If you are seeing different behavior will you please let us know?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 91 of 97
latest reply

@pennpicker wrote:

Realize things change but what a shame. Back in the early days folks didn't have to know what they had for it to sell. People would list an item simply as a vase or a painting with a few pictures posted and the collectors and dealers would recognize the item's value and bid accordingly.  All it needed to sell for a good price was to be in the proper subcategory to reach any potential buyers.

Who are the item specifics really helping? Ask, as I find the vast majority to be rather incidental.

@pennpicker these changes are to improve search results not only within eBay, but with internet searches done by protentional buyers as well. We're trying to more closely align to how those search engines work, and how a vast majority of shoppers are looking for things, and that's using a more product-based/item specific type format. We know it's a change, a big one, but our end goal is to get as many buyers seeing your items as possible and this will help us to do just that. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 92 of 97
latest reply

@mightymouse wrote:

Yes I know that I can see that # but Dinnerware buyers also are looking for pattern. Some item specifics for dinnerware brands not have the pattern available and hasn't for years. As A seller I can not but a set from some one and say I can only use dinner plates because that is all Ebay will let me list (off the deep end)  so I but it all. Now Ebay will (not off the deep end) only let me list cups & saucers, plates, bowls, pitches, platters so now I lose all item specifics for the plates when I list a cup & saucer, and again when I list a bowl, etc. do you see the issue with this problem? You also have all the Category's listed as Item Specifics also, so if I chose dinner plate as category it ALSO WANTS item specifics as dinner plate

The item specifics will change per category @mightymouse, so you'll need to select the best fitting one. If you're selling a dinner set you would select that sub-category, a plate that sub-category. For example: Pottery & Glass > Cookware, Dinnerware & Serveware > Plates. The specifics would then vary as they are different item types. I looked at the plates sub-category and there is a pattern item specific available as well. 

velvetebay_0-1635371660182.png

Velvet,
eBay
Message 93 of 97
latest reply

Hi @a_c_green the Community team has asked me to jump into this post. This issue has been escalated and all of the parties on the Khoros and eBay side are working on resolving this. I'm as frustrated as you as I know it's been weeks since this issue was reported and we were going to release an update to fix the issue last week by first testing on the Australia and India Communities, but have run into an issue with site keys and the update has been posted here

I know the answer, we're working on it isn't an ideal answer you want to hear, but the wheels are in motion and I'm pushing hard to get this resolved asap.

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 94 of 97
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

What is the eBay definition of the Postcard item specific Circulated?  Do they actually mean Posted, or just passed around?

Why is eBay recommending a Postcard item specific Material be specified as Linen, when linen postcards are called that because they were manufactured from 1930-1956 with a higher rag content, giving their surface a linen-type appearance.  They are made of stiff paper (or cardboard), but NOT linen which is a cloth.

Why is a Thanksgiving postcard that contains a turkey by the woods receiving item specific recommendations of Country of Manufacture = Turkey and Material = Wood?

Why do I have 193 recommendations to Unit of Sale = Single Unit when ALL my listings are single unit.  I consider this something sellers would enter if the were selling a lot or collection, not for the standard sale of 1 postcard.

And the questions/errors/suggestions go on... and get more complex...  Whom do I ask about them other than Customer Support?

Hey @somanypostcards! I know some of these things have already been passed on, but it never hurts to continue to send examples like this to sdsupport@ebay.com. They're the team that can either clarify meanings or get things changed if they're inaccurate or don't make sense. Thanks! 

-----

Edit: Additional information can be found here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 95 of 97
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@somanypostcards wrote:

What is the eBay definition of the Postcard item specific Circulated?  Do they actually mean Posted, or just passed around?

Why is eBay recommending a Postcard item specific Material be specified as Linen, when linen postcards are called that because they were manufactured from 1930-1956 with a higher rag content, giving their surface a linen-type appearance.  They are made of stiff paper (or cardboard), but NOT linen which is a cloth.

Why is a Thanksgiving postcard that contains a turkey by the woods receiving item specific recommendations of Country of Manufacture = Turkey and Material = Wood?

Why do I have 193 recommendations to Unit of Sale = Single Unit when ALL my listings are single unit.  I consider this something sellers would enter if the were selling a lot or collection, not for the standard sale of 1 postcard.

And the questions/errors/suggestions go on... and get more complex...  Whom do I ask about them other than Customer Support?

Hey @somanypostcards! I know some of these things have already been passed on, but it never hurts to continue to send examples like this to sdsupport@ebay.com. They're the team that can either clarify meanings or get things changed if they're inaccurate or don't make sense. Thanks! 

I've heard back from the team I reached out to @somanypostcards and they provided me with the below info:

1. They were able to revert the item specific naming to Postage Condition and that should be live to site now.  

velvetebay_0-1635449009447.png

velvetebay_1-1635449032158.png

2. and 3.  They're doing their best to have information like this prefilled for you. If it's found that certain item specifics don't apply though, like the Turkey and linen scenarios, you can uncheck and check boxes/item specifics where necessary. 

4. The Unit of Sale item specific should only show below options live to site. They tried to replicate this issue and were not able to.

velvetebay_2-1635449331028.png

Velvet,
eBay
Message 96 of 97
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

On Monday the new ebay store features that were promised in the Fall Seller Update finally began rolling out. A few quick questions. The first one, please note, is not rhetorical, I'd really like an answer:

WHY was this rolled out without a concurrent announcement and a tutorial?

Sellers have been begging ebay to announce this sort of thing ,and to include tutorials, for a very long time. The lack of an announcement results in a lot of unnecessary seller anxiety, confusion and often as not misinformation starts to take on a life of its own....this is all self-inflicted damage, and could all be avoided (or, most of it) if ebay would learn to COMMUNICATE effectively. This is a long standing problem (over 20 years), and you guys NEED to do better.

There seem to be two things mentioned in the Fall Update that have not yet arrived: 1. a link in our About tab page for buyers to sign up for our newsletter and 2. it was my understanding that the Marketing Banner would include not just clickable links to categories and listing pages, but also to our Promotions and Sales pages (for example, a Markdown Manager Sales page) Is the absence of such a link going to be remedied soon? 

Any chance you can host the Stores team soon to discuss the changes? 

And, finally, a big thank you for the changes, better late than never....I believe they are a real improvement (although it will take some time for buyers and sellers to adjust to the changes), and I hope they are only the beginning. 

I understand your frustration with the lack of communication and tutorials about the changes made recently to the store. We're happy you're happy to see the changes though. At best I can pass this feedback on and you can use this help page about managing your store here. I will also pass on your request for a Stores guided chat. 

As for the seller update concerns, I've reached out for more info and will have to get back to you regarding:

1. Newsletter subscription link missing from the About section.

2. Marketing banner missing Promotion and Sales page links.

Thank you @my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I've heard back that both the Newsletter and Marketing banner links are still in the works, there's just been a delay. While you don't see them yet, please know that they're still going to happen.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 97 of 97
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: