cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, October 20th @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Community Chat, October 20th @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@star.fighter wrote:

Hi Velvet -

Am i reading this correctly -- that we only have 3 days from the time a buyer receives a trading card for them to file a not-as-described?  If so, that doesn't give the buyer any time to work it out with the seller -- the buyer is then FORCED to file a SNAD.

Please clarify if i have that wrong.

Also, as part of that issue... if the damage might be done by the post office, then who is responsible for collecting the damage -- the buyer or the seller?  Can the seller determine that it is the buyer's responsibility?

Thank you!

Hello @star.fighter If the seller doesn't offer returns they have 3 days to open a claim, if the seller does offer returns then they have whatever the seller sets up as their timeframe. The buyer is always encouraged to reach out to the seller first when opening a SNAD, you can learn more here

If there is damage done with the shipper, then it would be up to the seller to work with the shipper to collect those costs. You may want to factor in the cost of insurance but it's up to you! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 31 of 73
latest reply

I don't think the big retail sellers have to follow the same policies unfortunately 🤔

Message 32 of 73
latest reply

@gwzcomps as of today, sales are up 1.0% - but over all down over 70% down last 2 months since ebay started making all these changes and implementing PLA's... and i agree, it's not sellers fault, way and far to many seller testimonies for it to be experienced by most sellers. And well, lol, there is NOTHING we can do to "fix" ebay's mess, everything sellers can/could do have been done and exhausted to death...it's ebay's issue. Sales on other platforms are decent, but here, dead, 2-3...maybe more days in a row then 1 maybe 2 sales and repeat cycle. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 33 of 73
latest reply

1st... it said a 'minimum' of 30 days, so that may be within the rules.

also... i have often wondered how some people get 14 day returns... i was told it was due to their type of seller account.  i will be interested to see the true reason here.  thanks for asking that question 🙂

Message 34 of 73
latest reply

@valuetrendz wrote:

My question has to do with item specifics.   It is my understanding that eventually, most item specifics if not all will require a value other than "NA", "Does Not Apply", etc.  With that in mind, what will happen to listings that do not have completed item specifics?   Is this the same for "required" vs "recommended" item specifics?  

I ask these questions as there are MANY items on ebay where it would be nearly impossible to track down correct item specifics on a particular item.   Any insight you can give on this would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Jon

Hi @valuetrendz! That's a great question and I hope you haven't been taking the time to fill in every item specific as it's not necessary. You do need to fill in those that are required, but the others are recommendations and if they don't apply or you don't want to fill them in, then you can leave them blank. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 35 of 73
latest reply

@spinach-eater wrote:

Why doesn't ebay have expert panels that can be consulted and listened to when major changes are being considered?  Never in the over 100 years of postcard collecting & selling has anyone ever classified postcards as Topographical and Non-Topographical.   Era's have long been established, yet changed on a whim by ebay.    Ebay needs to listen to experts in the collectible fields. 

Too make matters worse, there is no Filter for Era.  So regardless of whether its the new, unconventional military eras or the conventional previous era categories such as divided back, linen, chrome, no buyer can select a filter for this.

Message 36 of 73
latest reply

yes, i am one of those who proposed category managers years ago.  i am with you!!

p.s. - i likened it to the way there are product managers in retail.

Message 37 of 73
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

I don't think the big retail sellers have to follow the same policies unfortunately 🤔

@gwzcomps - obviously. 😉 My questions still stand though.

Message 38 of 73
latest reply

This months sales are only up 100% for me because I got some "commodity items" that are in demand right now.  Otherwise I would actually be down for the month 😿

Message 39 of 73
latest reply

When I first started 20 plus years ago there were always category managers  . However none of them had any idea about the category they managed when the glass and pottery cats were rolled up in 2004 the category manager didn't know the difference between pressed glass and hand blown.

Message 40 of 73
latest reply

If this has been covered, I apologize, but are the category changes complete and are we safe to start updating our required specifics now?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 41 of 73
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

velvet@ebay 

eBay & Samsung recently partnered on a promotion offering eBay gift cards with purchase of select Samsung certified refurbished phones.  However, those listings offered only 14 day returns instead of the 30 day returns required to meet the criteria to be a certified refurbished seller.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Certified-Refurbished-only-14-day-returns/m-p/32374632/hi... 

returns3.jpglisting1.jpg

Why were these listings allowed to violate this explicit policy for certified refurbished items?

Also, buyers were shown a banner that stated 30 day returns along with links to information about eBay's certified refurbished program that also states 30 day returns.

banner2.jpg

What is eBay going to do if these buyers try to return the phone after 14 days but within 30 days?

After the promotion ended, the listings were updated back to 30 days to be in compliance with the policy.

revision history.jpg

14 day returns aren't even supposed to be an option in the cell phone categories according to eBay's general policies on returns 

returnpolicy.jpg

How and why was Samsung allowed to violate these policies while partnering with eBay on this promotion?

Seems like a bit of conflict of interest to me.

Hey @valueaddedresource it looks like it could have been a cosmetic issue with how it was appearing on the listing. I'll make sure to get it reported but usually they offer returns at the 30 days. Thanks for brining this to our attention! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 42 of 73
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

This months sales are only up 100% for me because I got some "commodity items" that are in demand right now.  Otherwise I would actually be down for the month 😿

if you make 1 sale your stat will be "up" seeing it compares to previous month, means nothing when looking at sales over all, your sales could be 500% up and still actually lacking from previous months just because it's been pretty bad past two months.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 43 of 73
latest reply

We have been told that Ebay would NOT make changes that would impact sellers negatively during the Holiday season this year.  But clearly from the posts on this weeks chat and others, that seems to be a promise not kept.

From Category changes, item specific changes and changing the class of mail that can be used in certain categories.  The problems are BIG for some sellers at a time they should be concentrating on getting ready for the holidays.

Yet again we find ourselves in the same place as we do at the beginning of each Holiday Season.  Scrambling to work with the changes Ebay has just had to make now.  And the added problem this year of not being able to print shipping labels in certain categories.

It just leaves many of us just scratching our heads.  We could all [including Ebay] make more money if there just weren't these time consuming changes made at this time of the year.  We have pleading to have this practice stopped, yet it continues.  WHY?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 44 of 73
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

velvet@ebay 

eBay & Samsung recently partnered on a promotion offering eBay gift cards with purchase of select Samsung certified refurbished phones.  However, those listings offered only 14 day returns instead of the 30 day returns required to meet the criteria to be a certified refurbished seller.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Certified-Refurbished-only-14-day-returns/m-p/32374632/hi... 

returns3.jpglisting1.jpg

Why were these listings allowed to violate this explicit policy for certified refurbished items?

Also, buyers were shown a banner that stated 30 day returns along with links to information about eBay's certified refurbished program that also states 30 day returns.

banner2.jpg

What is eBay going to do if these buyers try to return the phone after 14 days but within 30 days?

After the promotion ended, the listings were updated back to 30 days to be in compliance with the policy.

revision history.jpg

14 day returns aren't even supposed to be an option in the cell phone categories according to eBay's general policies on returns 

returnpolicy.jpg

How and why was Samsung allowed to violate these policies while partnering with eBay on this promotion?

Seems like a bit of conflict of interest to me.

Hey @valueaddedresource it looks like it could have been a cosmetic issue with how it was appearing on the listing. I'll make sure to get it reported but usually they offer returns at the 30 days. Thanks for brining this to our attention! 

jasmen@ebay  nope, not just a cosmetic issue.  You all wrote it into the T&C too.

T&C.jpg

Also, the listing history shows that in fact the listing was started with a 14 day return period applied and that was only changed after the promo expired.

Definitely not a cosmetic issue.

Message 45 of 73
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: