cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Community Chat, March 16 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Good after noon eBay team and thanks for doing this...

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Hello! Can we please have an update on the progress of corrections and updates to the Shipping form? This would include the new coding to account for (or at least warn about) surcharges applying to packages of dimensional-rate size, or greater than 22" in length.

Related to that, there is the long-standing coding error on the Shipping form where the seller's declared package length goes into the Height variable by mistake (dimensions.height) and vice-versa, meaning that any tests looking at the length of the package (dimensions.length) may be making their decisions based on its height instead. That will not end well.

I also have a question on the response from the Shipping team that velvet@ebay posted (here) after the Chat ended last week:

> If USPS confirms that the new $1.50 fee will be charged
> [...]
> 2. The fee would apply if dimensions are not provided,
> however label printing is not permitted if the seller
> doesn’t input dimensions—the fee would apply if the
> seller inputs incorrect dimensions

I don't believe that's entirely accurate. It appears that if the seller doesn't input dimensions (or a package weight), the system doesn't refuse printing, but shows a default value of 1 in such cases. I've seen screenshots of the Shipping form in other users' problem reports where we can see that the package weight was supposedly 1 ounce and the dimensions were 1"x1"x1", not something that a seller would realistically enter, but it does appear that with those defaults in place, label printing will be permitted anyway. (I also had an interesting conversation with a customer at our post office a few months back who could not understand why her supposed 1-ounce eBay package was being refused as overweight/underpaid at the counter, and had no recollection of being asked for package weight or dimensions when buying her label through eBay.)

So anyway, there is much to be done in a short period of time. Can you tell us when there might be something we could test? Thanks.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Good afternoon all
In the breakdown for eBay fees under Business & Industrial with a basic store,
There's Most Business & Industrial categories, except:
Heavy Equipment, Parts & Attachments > Heavy Equipment

There's a big difference in the FVF under heavy equipment.
How do you know what is considered heavy equipment?
I have a digital X-Ray that sells for $49,995 that must ship via freight.
If I list this under Business & Industrial under X-Rays, will I be charged
the 12% up to $2,500 and 2.35% for the remainder or will it fall under
the Heavy Equipment with FVF of 2.5% up to $15,000 and .5% for the remainder?

-----
Message 4 of 36
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

Hello! Can we please have an update on the progress of corrections and updates to the Shipping form? This would include the new coding to account for (or at least warn about) surcharges applying to packages of dimensional-rate size, or greater than 22" in length.

Related to that, there is the long-standing coding error on the Shipping form where the seller's declared package length goes into the Height variable by mistake (dimensions.height) and vice-versa, meaning that any tests looking at the length of the package (dimensions.length) may be making their decisions based on its height instead. That will not end well.

I also have a question on the response from the Shipping team that velvet@ebay posted (here) after the Chat ended last week:

> If USPS confirms that the new $1.50 fee will be charged
> [...]
> 2. The fee would apply if dimensions are not provided,
> however label printing is not permitted if the seller
> doesn’t input dimensions—the fee would apply if the
> seller inputs incorrect dimensions

I don't believe that's entirely accurate. It appears that if the seller doesn't input dimensions (or a package weight), the system doesn't refuse printing, but shows a default value of 1 in such cases. I've seen screenshots of the Shipping form in other users' problem reports where we can see that the package weight was supposedly 1 ounce and the dimensions were 1"x1"x1", not something that a seller would realistically enter, but it does appear that with those defaults in place, label printing will be permitted anyway. (I also had an interesting conversation with a customer at our post office a few months back who could not understand why her supposed 1-ounce eBay package was being refused as overweight/underpaid at the counter, and had no recollection of being asked for package weight or dimensions when buying her label through eBay.)

So anyway, there is much to be done in a short period of time. Can you tell us when there might be something we could test? Thanks.

Hey @a_c_green I don't have any updates on this but as soon as I do I'm happy to let you know. Thanks so much for your time! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay  - just wanted to confirm it looks like that issue with the fine print on the Quickbooks eBay offer got sorted out - thanks for getting it to the right place!

quickbooks3-15.jpg

I would still suggest adding a correction/clarification to the original announcement here in the community, just to acknowledge there had been an error and reassure sellers that they will get the full 12 month term if they sign up. 👍

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here. 

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - just wanted to confirm it looks like that issue with the fine print on the Quickbooks eBay offer got sorted out - thanks for getting it to the right place!

quickbooks3-15.jpg

I would still suggest adding a correction/clarification to the original announcement here in the community, just to acknowledge there had been an error and reassure sellers that they will get the full 12 month term if they sign up. 👍

Thank you for the suggestion @valueaddedresource, we'll get it passed on. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Speaking of corrections - the announcement for sending coupons to buyer groups still says "Open up new opportunities: Define category-specific buyer groups to use when your seasonal inventory has the most potential to sell."

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Store-subscribers-can-now-send-coded-coupons-to-buyer-gr...

However, there is no way to define category specific buyer groups.  It was in the initial rollout but didn't work properly and was later removed.

I've already seen confusion about this in multiple eBay selling groups on Facebook with people wondering how to define by category due to that announcement.

Please issue a correction on that as well, not just removing the statement, to clarify that feature is not currently available.

-----

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Speaking of corrections - the announcement for sending coupons to buyer groups still says "Open up new opportunities: Define category-specific buyer groups to use when your seasonal inventory has the most potential to sell."

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Store-subscribers-can-now-send-coded-coupons-to-buyer-gr...

However, there is no way to define category specific buyer groups.  It was in the initial rollout but didn't work properly and was later removed.

I've already seen confusion about this in multiple eBay selling groups on Facebook with people wondering how to define by category due to that announcement.

Please issue a correction on that as well, not just removing the statement, to clarify that feature is not currently available.

Hi @valueaddedresource 

We reported this to the proper team the day before yesterday and still have not heard back. I know Tyler will update the thread as soon as he hears back, thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@dentalsales4u wrote:
Good afternoon all
In the breakdown for eBay fees under Business & Industrial with a basic store,
There's Most Business & Industrial categories, except:
Heavy Equipment, Parts & Attachments > Heavy Equipment

There's a big difference in the FVF under heavy equipment.
How do you know what is considered heavy equipment?
I have a digital X-Ray that sells for $49,995 that must ship via freight.
If I list this under Business & Industrial under X-Rays, will I be charged
the 12% up to $2,500 and 2.35% for the remainder or will it fall under
the Heavy Equipment with FVF of 2.5% up to $15,000 and .5% for the remainder?

Hi @dentalsales4u -  You always have the neatest things for sale - dental tech is fascinating to me!

Final Value Fees are determined by the category the item is listed in. Judging based on the subcategories of Heavy Equipment I'm not certain that a digital X-Ray would be appropriate in that category and there's a chance that it could be removed for being miscategorized (or moved to the more appropriate category). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Hello eBay,

It has now been 12 weeks and I am still missing the photos from close to 1000 of my 4000 listings.  I have been told by the support team it is being worked on and it is an official eBay bug.  Now 12 weeks later I am starting to feel I will never get my photos back..   Can you give me any direction to help get this corrected?

Thank you,

John Norman

eBay Seller Maxoptical

-----

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

Good afternoon eBay Support Team!

Subject:  Label Size % not working

Is there any update on when the label sizing % will work on the label flow print function below?  Up until a few days ago I had the option to download the label in a pdf format and then use the pdf sizing feature which worked.  Now it appears I am stuck with this new label flow print version and the sizing function ... that doesn't function.  I don't print 100% size labels, I need them smaller and use 90% and smaller.

On another account here using a separate computer this has never worked right but label size on that account is not as critical (although I could save one short strip of tape per label if I could print them smaller).

Screenshot (3353).png

Anything you can do to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated ...

Mr. L

-----

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Don't forget the $15 surcharge on packages over 30", can't believe ebay is not trying to fight that or make some kind of deal. But then again I've written everyone, news channels, senators, government, USPS headquarters. No body cares about the little guy getting his income cut in half and may lose my business.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@maxoptical wrote:

Hello eBay,

It has now been 12 weeks and I am still missing the photos from close to 1000 of my 4000 listings.  I have been told by the support team it is being worked on and it is an official eBay bug.  Now 12 weeks later I am starting to feel I will never get my photos back..   Can you give me any direction to help get this corrected?

Thank you,

John Norman

eBay Seller Maxoptical

Hi @maxoptical - I'm sorry, but I don't have an update to provide you. I know that, historically, if photos drop from a listing it can be difficult to restore them (usually bordering on irrecoverable). If your listings have been without any photos for the last 3 months I wonder if it may be worth looking at retaking/reuploading them. 

As to a proper course of action - continuing to work with CS is your best route as they can review the listings involved, your account history and work with the tech team on your behalf. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Can you tell us a date when the recent Seller Check In Playback Video will be made available?

-----

Message 15 of 36
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: