cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 23 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Community Chat, February 23 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@mam98031 wrote:

Another seller wanted to pop in and ask this question but it appears they weren't able to make it, so I'll ask.

We get this concern from many posters regarding the upcoming full credit on Cancelations that are requested by the buyer.  

Going on historically how Ebay handles stuff like this, even though the Winter Update was silent on this, they mean Cancellations that the buyer actually requests during the first hour after the purchase via the formal method [for the lack of knowing what it is really caused].  If a buyer simply emails the seller at some later time asking for a cancelation that won't count.  Which unfortunately where most of mine come from.

But in a nutshell, what is the position of Ebay so we can better answer this questions?

Hey @mam98031 

The full credit refund only applies to a buyer initiated cancellation, which are currently only available within the first hour of purchase/payment. Seller initiated cancellations after that will still receive a full refund of any Final Value Fee, but the 30 cent transaction fee won't be included. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

Hi, I was under the impression that all sellers on the EBAY platform were supposed to have 1099's MAILED TO THEM. I have sold well above the OLD 1099 Threshold on this account and NEVER RECEIVED my 1099 in the mail? I am aware that I can download it but I WOULD LIKE MY PAPER COPY. What do I have to do specifically to get my 1099 mailed out to me ASAP. I believe the law states that it had to be out in the mail by the end of January correct? 

Hi @ekmadonna! We would encourage you to contact the Payments team for additional information regarding why you may not have received a paper copy. In the meantime, if you see that you have one in your Payments account, then you could print that off as a workaround to any missing paper statement.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 47 of 52
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay support team:

Subject: Template Editing and creating New Template failures

There have been numerous threads on this issue and some here today posted about photos not uploading but this issue with Templates not working for Editing or Creating new has gotten a lot of attention.  As a matter of fact, I seem to recall seeing Velvet post on one of those threads, so thanks for that ... but ... 

I and others can not Edit Templates or Create new Templates ...

My issues started in the last two weeks and my suspicion is that it was because of the lead up to the Item Specific rollout that happened yesterday ... I would like to know if that is potentially the case and certain functionality with Templates was blocked while the programmers updated the site for I.S.?  If so Sellers should have received notification of this rather then experiencing the failure and trying to figure out what's going on.

One member said they spoke to eBay and were told each account with these issues has to have their account fixed individually ... sorry but that one I have a little trouble with to be honest ... but if it's true then I stand corrected. 

Another member suggested it was being done intentionally to try and move more Sellers to the new Unified Listing Tool ... if that is that case then same as above, Sellers should be made aware of these changes before they simply start happening causing confusion and frustration.

I hope these issues are truly temporary and not permanent and would appreciate some reassurance in that area ...

Kind regards,

Mr. L

Hi @mr_lincoln - the template issues you describe are technical errors being worked on currently to resolve, not an intentional front to encourage anyone to move to a different form or adopt item specifics. Planned outages are communicated in advance.  

I hope that helps clarify!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 48 of 52
latest reply

Thanks for joining the chat this week. It's now closed from further replies but we will continue to work through and reply to questions that remain. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 49 of 52
latest reply

@pursesbrasplusmore wrote:

Can ebay add photos to ebay standard envelope categories?  I have vintage / antique photos I would like to list. 

@pursesbrasplusmore I'm more than happy to pass it along for sure! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

@robertc1964 wrote:

Thank you for the response, however this did not answer my question. I understand I have to choose what's best for me and whether or not to continue to pay for a store. I want/need to understand the eBay logic for charging a paying store subscriber for something they offer to free for non-paying store owner. The logic just doesn't make sense. It seems backwards to me and if I hadn't confirmed it was supposed to be this way, I would have assumed it was some kind of glitch. Please respond with the reason for this specific fee. I can do my own research about other fees and make my own decision about whether I want to continue to be a store scriber. Thank you.

A why question like this is difficult to answer @robertc1964. I can only let you know where to find fees for both non-store and store subscribers and from there, you can determine which will be best for your business going forward. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 51 of 52
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Item specifics in the Stamps category have been a miss from day one. Aside from using non-standard abbreviations and non-US English to define Item specifics that most collectors would ignore, the effect has been minimal. Most stamp collectors on the US site search by Scott Catalog number, but eBay thoughtlessly focused on "Grade", "Quality" and "Certification". Only a small percentage of stamps have graded certificates. Self-graded stamps are notoriously over graded destroying any incentive to search by grade. Stamp collectors dislike "best match" search enough that few collectors use it. After eBay informed me that the Color item specific for a red orange stamp should be changed to "orange" for "better visibility" I wondered if looking like an idiot would be worth the cost of "better visibility". I concluded that credibility is more important than visibility.

While I can see the benefit of using well designed item specifics to help eliminate some categories. For example, some United States stamps are split into used and unused categories. At one time eBay supported item condition values of "Used" and "Unused" but later removed them before they could be used instead of separate categories.

I do not understand why eBay believes that item specifics can be successfully applied to listings after the fact.  When I first learned that eBay would be defining item specifics, I started incorporating properties and attributes from the Scott catalog into listings as item specifics that could be used to build descriptions. That project eliminated about 80% of the repetitive data entry after a catalog was built. Each Scott catalog number implies a set of properties like denomination, year of issue, subject or topic, design, color, and technical details, important to collectors, like perforations, watermarks, and printing method. Attributes related to production or usage map into item specifics like grade (centering), quality (gum condition), format (single or multiple), or cancels.  Since most item specifics derive from the catalog, I started using it to build listings. It is unfortunate that eBay ignored the Scott catalog and attempted to invent new terminology borrowed from coins. I cannot change item specifics that define listings to match eBay's "required" values. It is relatively easy to populate the eBay required item specifics with existing values. Failure to match in search filters does not seem to matter, suggesting that some or most eBay item specifics are irrelevant. I continue to populate attribute or condition item specifics consistent with Scott catalog definitions without impact on sales. Buyers who attempt to use the eBay filters seem to get random results and stop using them. There are enough sellers of poorly described stamps or stamps with undescribed faults to satisfy buyers who happen to find them using eBay's best match or filters. Properly described faulty stamps can be more easily found by searching by price from low to high.

Hey @clarkphilatelics! Thanks for sharing your insights into the item specifics for Stamps. I've forwarded this on to the relevant team so they can take a closer look. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 52 of 52
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: