cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, December 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Community Chat, December 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

I have tried comments like

"same # 20 of 25 sold over 400 times on eBay"

"common counterfeit seen on eBay, Etsy, Mercari"

"Violates copyrights and Trademarks of the Upper Deck Co."

"same item that has been removed and acknowledged by eBay as fake.

Those do not seem to help any better.  Where is the break down.

It would nice to be able to state "on eBay's known counterfeit list" and eBay actually create such a list.

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

Ummm, Tyler, just a thought, but if the items are still listed, and being listed, and sold, one might almost think that nothing is being done.  I know, I know, 'don't shoot the messenger', but as they continue, how would one even imagine that any action is being taken?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 17 of 57
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@wooden_flower wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I have a question on usps ground shipping.  I can add parcel select to a listing as a flat rate choice, but not calculated.

A number of sellers have reported that they do not have parcel select as an option when they ship, even though that is the service that was on the listing.

Is eBay no longer offering parcel select?

thanks!

Sue

Hi @wooden_flower!

Yes, USPS Parcel Select is being phased out as an option for sellers using eBay Labels. This was due to it not being widely utilized, and having a higher rate of poor buyer experiences (more common INRs, etc). 

The phase out is a slow one, but eventually it will no longer be an option to use with eBay Labels. Thanks!

Thank you Tyler.  Any chance of getting a general announcement?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

eBay continues to turn a blind eye to the counterfeit products being sold on the site.  As a buyer I can't confidently buy the items I need for my business.  I am guessing it is not the goal of eBay for me to seek out other places to buy the items I want.  Why is it that eBay refuses to take accountability for the counterfeits being sold on their site.  It is unfair to make it the burden of the buyer to figure out what is or isn't fake.  Filing reports as a user doesn't accomplish anything.

@gwzcomps As you are aware, we do not allow the sale of counterfeit items. If you have concerns about an item, the correct steps are to report it through the report item form so that we can take appropriate. We aren't  be able to share why or why not an item was or was not removed from the site.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

Selling counterfeits in the US is illegal and Ebay doesn't care.

Maybe start reporting all the fakes to the police, the FBI, Social Media, and newspapers. If nothing else, the bad publicity may hurt them.

Message 20 of 57
latest reply

Really wanted eBay to acknowledge that they do this.  Yes, in this case it is possible that eBay is aiding the sale of counterfeit goods.  We apologize.   I want to see these for some items  - just not the ones for counterfeit goods.    I would not get these for counterfeit goods if there were not listings for counterfeit goods.

Message 21 of 57
latest reply

Same canned response that says Staff and Ebay could care less, and continually proves the same.

Message 22 of 57
latest reply

Hi,

I mentioned in last week’s chat about the instant views that my items receive as soon as they are listed.

Here are 2 items that were listed this morning and received views the moment that they were listed: #124477725389  received 2 instant views, and, #124477596739 received 1 instant view.  Here is item #114547408396 that received 463 instant views and was listed on November 29.   These “instant views” happen every day on both of my selling accounts.  Thank you for looking into this.  cookie

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 23 of 57
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Tyler, why the canned reply when nothing happens to counterfeit sellers as Ebay does not want to lose their sales or commission.

W5 in Canada had a whole show on this and Ebay denied, did nothing, and still does nothing.

eBay has NO experts to say counterfeit or not: they do not know or care.

Worse on older items, its opinion only: not fact on such claims.

One would have to hire a hundred to a thousand people to do this.

At least the have the VERO system on some things.

And to get the point across: Who am I?? No one but a user name on a board. What is my opinion worth?

Not much if the reader does not see any value in it.

Same goes for user names on ebay reporting counterfeit items..

Message 24 of 57
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

Several things I have reported but with no follow up or answers or explanations.

1.  I continue to see "

• PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
  • BELLINGHAM, WA 98229

On items AFTER They are accepted by the post office.  This is not shown on the USPS site, but only on ebay.

2.  I have several items in my sold/shipped history with faulty ship dates, showing that I shipped 2-3 days after I actually shipped and after the first scan "picked up by USPS"  

3.  I have no idea what to do with multi variation listings when they ask for SIZE as a required item specific when it is actually a Variation of the listing.  For example, an item has a choice between four sizes and item specifics is saying to input size as a "required soon" IS.  

4. It could be my local sort center/hub but many of my packages are sitting for over a week with no updates.    I have read the update announcement, but I wanted to point out that it appears that some hubs are the problem and there is no way to know when/which packages are going to take so long to get delivered.

5 When I called customer support yesterday regarding shipping issues, I was told that Service Metrics do not affect us.  The CSR insisted that only defects matter.         She said they are not like late shipments.      I suggested she research further.  

Hi @golfingaddict - replies below:

1. This has been reported but we do not have an update on it. From other member's reports we've seen the pre-shipments remove themselves after it scans as delivered. Have you seen that too?

2. I'll reach out for more detail on this, as I'm not familiar with the situation and will need some examples to ensure it's been reported. 

3. We've requested additional information on this but have not yet heard back. 

4. This is useful information! I'm certain our shipping team is already aware, but I'll make sure to share your experience too. 

5. Thanks for letting me know - I'll have this interaction reviewed for appropriate coaching.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 25 of 57
latest reply

@pburn I agree! We really appreciate all the work @theshoppingmom2 has done and continues to do. 😁

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 26 of 57
latest reply

Or, even the FTC.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 27 of 57
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

eBay continues to turn a blind eye to the counterfeit products being sold on the site.  As a buyer I can't confidently buy the items I need for my business.  I am guessing it is not the goal of eBay for me to seek out other places to buy the items I want.  Why is it that eBay refuses to take accountability for the counterfeits being sold on their site.  It is unfair to make it the burden of the buyer to figure out what is or isn't fake.  Filing reports as a user doesn't accomplish anything.

@gwzcomps As you are aware, we do not allow the sale of counterfeit items. If you have concerns about an item, the correct steps are to report it through the report item form so that we can take appropriate. We aren't  be able to share why or why not an item was or was not removed from the site.

Ah yes I am familiar with eBay's subjective "we do as we see fit and not as the policies specify" policy.  It is against policy to sell counterfeits, but I guess that is the buyer's problem.

Message 28 of 57
latest reply

I do see actions taken for the items I report - they close and sell.  They ship.  The buyer is scammed.  The seller commits a crime of selling counterfeit goods, and commits mail fraud if shipped USPS.

I would say that is the most typical action that is taken.

I just reported to you that in just a few examples 62 listings that were reported closed in the past week (Dec 1 st to Dec 8 th)?     How many will close again by next Wednesday?

Message 29 of 57
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Tyler, why the canned reply when nothing happens to counterfeit sellers as Ebay does not want to lose their sales or commission.

W5 in Canada had a whole show on this and Ebay denied, did nothing, and still does nothing.

eBay has NO experts to say counterfeit or not: they do not know or care.

Worse on older items, its opinion only: not fact on such claims.

One would have to hire a hundred to a thousand people to do this.

At least the have the VERO system on some things.

And to get the point across: Who am I?? No one but a user name on a board. What is my opinion worth?

Not much if the reader does not see any value in it.

Same goes for user names on ebay reporting counterfeit items..

Then don't used a canned response which is an outright lie.

Change it to we know counterfeits are sold but we don't care as we have no staff, no knowledge, we make money and it is a buyer beware site.

Message 30 of 57
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: