cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's The Deal With The Focus on Luxury Watches?

I've seen a lot of online advertising from eBay for Rolex watches. Now there's a promo for selling fees on Luxury Watches.

The advertising I've seen has been almost exclusively about watches. It seems an odd niche to put so much emphasis on.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: What's The Deal With The Focus on Luxury Watches?

I've also noticed the ads for $1 million sneakers. I think they're trying to get the word out about their recent authentication programs.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

According to this report the Global Luxury Watch market was worth almost 7 Billion Dollars in 2018, that is for new watches, the resale market must be enormous given the amount of "inventory" out there.

https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/luxury-watch-market.

The online is still small so there is lots of growth potential, if eBay can become a leader at the top end it would have a positive impact on the entire watch category which I'm sure is substantial.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

As someone else noted, the resale market for luxury watches is huge, and ebay is a major player and intends to stay that way. Also, there's what I call the halo effect: people with the disposable income to buy---and even collect--- luxury watches are people who will buy other stuff as well. Same thing applies to the high end sneaker market...I believe ebay has said that, once they get a sneaker buyer onto the site, on average, that buyer is going to buy in at least ten other categories as well.

These two are the verticals ebay is really starting out with, to develop things like authentication, and more tailored seller policies. There will be more verticals added this coming year as ebay works on strengthening its position in these types of niche markets. (They've already made a big push into reconditioned items as well)

I'd love to know which markets are next on their list, but we'll just have to wait and see....

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

and ebay is a major player and intends to stay that way

I think the "authenication" service may encourage more sellers to offer those items here (buyers already have the MBG).  If I had a high dollar Rolex (or anything else for that matter) , ebay would  never be an option as a selling venue.   Now if and when they disallow subsequent chargebacks/payment disputes after the fact when such a service is utilized it may actually be of value.  

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

It's called stay out of their way.

Let them fight it out.

If the big bad 800 pound gorillas are beating their chest about the latest and greatest that is not an invitation.

It is a warning, the big bad ones are going to town KABOOM KABOOM if you get in the way they will stomp all over you and not even notice. 
That is what all the noise is about.

So find a nice quiet little niche far away from these clowns.

You'll have less problems this way.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Because sellers always loose SNAD cases even if the buyer sent back a cabbage instead of the Rolex and people were afraid to list them.

Ebay took a hit to their revenue stream and wanted it back.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Kind of weird to me!

they promise to verify authenticity in their sale promotion / verification, but I have read some sellers have already gotten burned by buyers.

Sneakers I can see, but watches? I guess if they are collectable, low production, or rare! We have clocks on our phones, computers, in our vehicles, and TV's.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

you have nothing for sale on here! New recent member!

stop the trolling!

everyone needs to ignore this one! ceyvov_0

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals 

you have nothing for sale on here! New recent member! stop the trolling! everyone needs to ignore this one! ceyvov_0

Please ignore me as well.  I have nothing for sale either.  

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

stop the trolling!

Posting ID.

If I had any sense, I'd use one too.  I believe you've been told about posting IDs a few times...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

stop the trolling!

Speaking of trolling, your post is off-topic.

It is also in violation of the community guidelines so let me give you a piece of advice:

You don't want to find out how that works.

You do NOT want to know who the Khoros people are, who used to go by the name of Lithium.

One of their office headquarters is in downtown Manhattan, not sure where the others are.

You do NOT want to trifle with them, so the less you know, the better.

Stop acting like you're the boss, stay ignorant and stay small, you'll be a lot happier.

But if you insist...

Go ahead and self-report your post for violating 4 and 6 here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/td-p/26164369

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

How do I stop eBay from sending me messages about this in my seller messages? Its basically an advertisement. No way to unsubscribe from these messages? It isn't relevant to me.

roesgers_engineering_0-1680034741353.png

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The spam messages are really absurd,and highly unnecessary. It makes zero sense to ever send these to anyone day in and day out ,when by every algorithm available,I have never shown any interest whatsoever in anything related to luxury watches. And it's obvious by tracking my everyday user data ,that I never will. It's not helpful and isn't making anyone any money by doing so. I actually despise the forced nature of it and it **bleep** me off to check my messages to make sure I'm keeping up on anything a customer needs because  I'm alerted of a new message,only to be tricked by ebay to have my time stolen ,daily ..... over and over again.....

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply