cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATTN Ebay Employee: eBay Standard International Program clarifications needed!!

I have some questions about this new program that I posted on various threads but no one has answered. Please provide clarified answers to these, would be much appreciated! 

1. Labels: Program not showing cost on ebay shipping calculator 

A week ago or so when I first found out about this program the shipping calculator did show the cost for the program so you could compare price to regular First Class International Parcel costs, last night tried to use the calculator to compare and the opting is not on the calculator now. 

2. Last week I called Ebay CS and had long discussion with rep about the program, but there was few things I forgot to ask about and seems the rep gave me completely false info about where the package goes. So can clarify these for me appreciate it: 

Billable Weight:
On the program help page down near the bottom in s,mall print, right above the facts section it states: 
"Billable weight is calculated as the greater of actual weight and dimensional weight. Actual weight is the weight of the fully packaged shipment in pounds (scale weight). Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 166; ((L*W*H/166)). When the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight; charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. Shipments whose billable weight exceeds the max allowable weight or dimensions rating limit will be returned to sender at sender’s expense (See oversized package detailed below)." 

The way this is worded suggests that ebay is going to use dimensional weight for ALL packages, but DIM is only for packages that exceed the 1,728 cubic in mark and shouldn't be charged dimensional weight. In example, I send a lot of packages that are dimension of 14"x14"x2" with average weight of 1 lbs 9 oz  (so the package would ship at 2 lbs as you suppose to round to nearest pound). DIM of that equals 507.65, far below the threshold to require dimension charge. SO to clarify is ebay billing ALL package going through the program at Dimensional weight or are they following the actual guidelines for packages that are excluded from DIM cost? 

3. Ebay Billing Method for the Program:

Billing is treated as FedEx is on ebay, so seller pays the cost of shipping, which the buyer is actually paying for but seller pays it upfront when printing a label, then is suppose to be reimbursed by ebay at end of the month invoice? Cause other wise sellers are being charged for shipping twice. And what is the cost to ship to the ebay center in the US, is the price included in the cost of the label or there additional charges to ship the package to the center? And does the buyer see the charges (if any) applied to them from the center prior to receiving their monthly invoice? 

4. Where the Ebay Center for the Program is and What they are doing with Package: 

This is just for clarification purpose:
Ebay CS Rep told me that packages will go to new facility specifically for this program in CA, yet other sellers on the boards have said that their packages are going to KY - same place packages are sent to for GSP... so where exactly is the packages for the new program going? The rep also told me when ask them that unlike the GSP this program they DO NOT open your package and repack the item, yet there seems to be A LOT of confusion about this as many sellers do not want their packages opened as Pitney Bowes has a huge track record of destroying merchandise when they open it + doing a HORRIBLE job repackaging merchandise. Aside, the center has all the information needed about the packages contents as the reference numbers allow ebay to see the listing of the item being shipped. I was told that this isn't suppose to happen under the standard international program, that the only thing the center is suppose to do is measure and weigh the packages for accuracy of postage cost. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: ATTN Ebay Employee: eBay Standard International Program clarifications needed!!

@nuclearomen wrote:

I have some questions about this new program that I posted on various threads but no one has answered. Please provide clarified answers to these, would be much appreciated! 

1. Labels: Program not showing cost on ebay shipping calculator 

A week ago or so when I first found out about this program the shipping calculator did show the cost for the program so you could compare price to regular First Class International Parcel costs, last night tried to use the calculator to compare and the opting is not on the calculator now. 

2. Last week I called Ebay CS and had long discussion with rep about the program, but there was few things I forgot to ask about and seems the rep gave me completely false info about where the package goes. So can clarify these for me appreciate it: 

Billable Weight:
On the program help page down near the bottom in s,mall print, right above the facts section it states: 
"Billable weight is calculated as the greater of actual weight and dimensional weight. Actual weight is the weight of the fully packaged shipment in pounds (scale weight). Dimensional weight is calculated by multiplying the length by width by height of each package in inches and dividing the total by 166; ((L*W*H/166)). When the dimensional weight exceeds the actual weight; charges may be assessed based on the dimensional weight. Shipments whose billable weight exceeds the max allowable weight or dimensions rating limit will be returned to sender at sender’s expense (See oversized package detailed below)." 

The way this is worded suggests that ebay is going to use dimensional weight for ALL packages, but DIM is only for packages that exceed the 1,728 cubic in mark and shouldn't be charged dimensional weight. In example, I send a lot of packages that are dimension of 14"x14"x2" with average weight of 1 lbs 9 oz  (so the package would ship at 2 lbs as you suppose to round to nearest pound). DIM of that equals 507.65, far below the threshold to require dimension charge. SO to clarify is ebay billing ALL package going through the program at Dimensional weight or are they following the actual guidelines for packages that are excluded from DIM cost? 

3. Ebay Billing Method for the Program:

Billing is treated as FedEx is on ebay, so seller pays the cost of shipping, which the buyer is actually paying for but seller pays it upfront when printing a label, then is suppose to be reimbursed by ebay at end of the month invoice? Cause other wise sellers are being charged for shipping twice. And what is the cost to ship to the ebay center in the US, is the price included in the cost of the label or there additional charges to ship the package to the center? And does the buyer see the charges (if any) applied to them from the center prior to receiving their monthly invoice? 

4. Where the Ebay Center for the Program is and What they are doing with Package: 

This is just for clarification purpose:
Ebay CS Rep told me that packages will go to new facility specifically for this program in CA, yet other sellers on the boards have said that their packages are going to KY - same place packages are sent to for GSP... so where exactly is the packages for the new program going? The rep also told me when ask them that unlike the GSP this program they DO NOT open your package and repack the item, yet there seems to be A LOT of confusion about this as many sellers do not want their packages opened as Pitney Bowes has a huge track record of destroying merchandise when they open it + doing a HORRIBLE job repackaging merchandise. Aside, the center has all the information needed about the packages contents as the reference numbers allow ebay to see the listing of the item being shipped. I was told that this isn't suppose to happen under the standard international program, that the only thing the center is suppose to do is measure and weigh the packages for accuracy of postage cost. 

@nuclearomen

Thanks for your questions. I will try to address them. 

Shipping Calculator: eBay international standard delivery is currently not available on the shipping calculator. We are working to get this added to the shipping calculator very soon. In the meantime, hopefully the rate card here will support.

Billable Weight: Our T&C's allow for eBay to charge based on the greater of Dimensional or Scale weight. However, right now eBay international standard delivery is only charging based on Scale weight. We will be evaluating if we need to adjust this over the next weeks and months. In the meantime, take confidence that if you enter accurate weights and dimensions into eBay labels, the quote provided on the printing pages will match the invoice charges. 

To your specific example, of a 14x14x2 shipment, weighing 1lb and 9oz...the charges would be based on 2lbs.

eBay Billing Method: eBay international standard delivery is invoiced to eBay seller accounts only for shipments that are actually sent. When printing a label on eBay, sellers are getting a quote for the service based on the weight/dimensions entered, as well as the buyer destination country. Once the package is shipped, it will reach our processing facilities, where the actual weight and dimensions are captured, and will appear on the seller invoice.  The quote provided on eBay labels is for end to end transport (from the seller in the US to the buyer internationally). The buyer will only see shipping charges based on how you set up your listing (flat or calculated).

Where is the eBay Center, and what are they doing: There are multiple consolidation centers around the US. eBay determines the best processing center to ship to domestically automatically. This is all handled by eBay labels, and the label provided will get your package to the right center. In those centers, there are allowances to open and inspect the package contents, which would most often occur when the package contents do not adhere to the terms and conditions or prohibited items policies outlined in eBay international standard delivery terms. 

Hope that helps!

~Nate

Message 2 of 2
latest reply