cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usps mistakes

A package I sent out was never scanned by the post office.  The buyer left feedback then opened a claim for refund when they noticed tracking showed it was never sent. The post office said it is possible to be delivered without being scanned. My question is: am I  out  the product and should issue the refund or not?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Usps mistakes

Always stand in line and get the package scanned when dropping it off.   Of course it's possible for the package to still not get a delivery scan, but that is pretty rare.

Unfortunately without a delivery scan the buyer will win the refund request.  Do not try to fight it or ebay will force the refund and then you will not get your sellers fees back and you'll get a DEFECT.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, that is what I expected to hear but just making sure.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Totally agree... however, if it's not scanned at delivery .. you're still on the hook regardless of having a receipt or not.. been there... and it stinks.... My default is that I try to send all higher value packages via Fedex as they're almost always spot on.. 

In my 20 yrs on ebay... my biggest headaches have been USPS related: Forgetting to scan the package (pray for an honest buyer)... or delivering w/o a signature and not scanning it in as "delivered"...

IF.. however, you insure your USPS package and its never marked as "delivered".. I believe you can recoup funds... albeit after an extended timeframe and lots of paperwork later... 😞

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

question: did the buyer leave feedback on their purchase as if they actually received it before realizing that it wasn't scanned?  IF the feedback is represents that the buyer received it and their feedback contradicts their "not received" claim, I recommend calling ebay and discussing it with eBay as .. on rare occasion they will issue the buyer a courtesy refund and allow you to keep your funds... it is rare but .. worth a shot.. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

This is just an FYI to the group and to take your question a bit further.....

We recently decided to file a claim with the USPS office. Our customer contacted us because the item they ordered was broken by USPS upon delivery (they sent 3 pictures to verify this fact). The item was carefully packed, with a sufficient amount & different sizes of bubble wrap prior to us mailing it. Besides, obviously, this is NOT how we do business. Of course we issued a full refund to the customer immediately upon them contacting us. 

Fastforward to earlier this month. My son has spoken to USPS several times now. First (towards the end of January) they said check is in the mail. In February my son tried for the 2nd time. He called and after being transferred to several different people (and departments) they said the check was mailed in January but it went to our old address. He was then told to give it at least 2-3 weeks before contacting them again. He braved the waters one final time, but this time asked for a supervisor. The harsh supervisor told my son in a VERY stern voice, our customer would need to bring the broken item down to the PO so the Postmaster could confirm it was INFACT the item. My son did his best to explain this drawn out situation, and how this all started back in January and he was nearly 100% certain the customer no longer had it in there possession but it was in a landfill somewhere. He said if they can’t produce the broken item you will NOT BE RECEIVING any type of refund and hung up. This is the first I’ve heard of this...did I miss the memo?? Sorry for the long post but I wanted you all to know how long & drawn out it was. Thanks for reading! 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@sofiestreasures16   I do know that USPS and other carriers do sometimes request to see the item, especially if it's expensive.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@sofiestreasures16   I do know that USPS and other carriers do sometimes request to see the item, especially if it's expensive.  

We always add extra insurance on items over $100 for this reason. We have had to file claims with other carriers but never heard of them wanting to see the item prior to issuing a refund. We assumed USPS has had problems with folks scammers so now we, including our customers, will all be inconvenienced. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

I think USPS is doing a lot more inspecting then they used to do.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I thought submitting photo evidence was sufficient.  I also thought USPS uses a 3rd party insurance underwriter for added insurance claims, right?  unless the question was in regard to the $50 free for priority?  and By the way: you are awesome to answers so many questions.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@louis-gasm  

@louis-gasm wrote:

I thought submitting photo evidence was sufficient.  I also thought USPS uses a 3rd party insurance underwriter for added insurance claims, right?  unless the question was in regard to the $50 free for priority?  and By the way: you are awesome to answers so many questions.

There have been reports from other members that they are asking to see the items.  I am not sure of the price point on when this is required.    

You can buy extra insurance directly from USPS depending on where you buy the shipping label OR you can use shipcover when you buy the labels on ebay.   

It is starting to sound like shipcover would be easier to deal with in regards to providing proof of damage but I don't know how liberal they are with their payouts.  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply