cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time here! Excited!

I saw a YouTube video of a successful retired ebay seller, she said "joining ebay groups are helpful", so far it has been, I've been ease dropping (:

Anyways, I sell hand made unique crochet pieces. I say unique because I design them my self, I do not write patterns down (I suck at that). Anyways, I just got started and already made huge mistakes. First, I'm selling my hard work for cheep, and I do not have many things and already have a store -_-

Analyzing-fixing... Joining groups and ease dropping xoxo
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: First time here! Excited!

...... I didn't post in the right thread -_-
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@csandrainbows
@csandrainbows wrote:
...... I didn't post in the right thread -_-

You actually did post in the right group!

There are many sellers of OOAK ("One Of A Kind" or "Original One of A Kind) encompassing artists, craftspeople, hobbiests and other creative people selling the things that they have made by hand here on eBay. 

It's kind of a specialty niche that can take a lot of time and perserverence to make profitable. If you sell your wares at craft shows or in shops, eBay can be a great way to offer your things online.

Most people who are just getting started selling their own creations sell their things at a very low price just to get a following of loyal customers and to pay for their materials. As you gain skill, experience and customers you can begin to raise your prices to compensate you for your time as well.

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

"As you gain skill, experience and customers you can begin to raise your prices to compensate for your time as well."

Dead on!
Although I'm pretty good at what I do, I have been improving significantly. There's always something I could of done better. By improving the quality of my items, I then will feel comfortable raising my prices. Experience comes with time and with time skills improve, with high skills and quality, customer should soon follow!.....hopefully a hike in profits too!

Thanks slocode 111
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I think you will find that that are so many buyers daily that even though you will get repeat customers most sales are new customers.

I believe under pricing hurts a seller and the actual market for that item. By selling cheap you don't make the profit and other sellers may follow suit and then the market is ruined.

There is a big learning curve on eBay so have confidence in your product and sell it for what it is worth.

Just a humble opinion,.

Mike
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

MichaelM2392: AMEN!!! The 1st thing I do before listing an item is naturally, search eBay for like item. I select 'Lowest price' to see what the competition is selling it for. Its very unnerving when people offer an item wayyyy below its fair value. Screws we sellers up.

I leave items SIT, sometimes for 2-3 months, and they almost always eventually sell. Sometimes even the Buy It Now on my auctions get selected even though the item is on its 4th, 5th, etc week on being listed. All it takes is that ONE buyer. For every item there's a buyer. Sometimes it just takes them awhile to stumble across it;)

Lastly....I REFUSE to do another .99 starting price auction. I think they're lame, UNLESS it's an iPhone or something you know everyone is on eBay just to buy them. I've only com d out head ONE time by doing a .99 start item. What do you guys think about .99 auction starts? Thanks~
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@scorez_galore wrote:

Lastly....I REFUSE to do another .99 starting price auction. I think they're lame, UNLESS it's an iPhone or something you know everyone is on eBay just to buy them. I've only com d out head ONE time by doing a .99 start item. What do you guys think about .99 auction starts? Thanks~

$0.99 auctions can do VERY well on eBay ONLY IF YOU KNOW YOUR MARKET! Here is an example of a $0.99 auction, currently running here on eBay that will astound you!   $0.99 comic book auction   Check it out!

I have used 0.99 cent auctions in the past to reduce listing fees ONLY when I knew that what I was selling was rare and desirable to eBay collectors. It is a rush to see the bid price of an auction go up and up and up, day after day until it peaks out in the last 6 seconds as ambitious snipers try to win it.

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Yes I agree about such low pricing pulling value down.  I have been offerring items with low prices as I was desperate for money.  I made nothing on so many sales after busting my rear to pack excellent, send things quickly, etc....  Packaging materials aren't dropped off at my house by the eBay fairy too.  And what about getting some appreciation monetarily for the time it takes to do all that is required to make a sale. 

I have seen antique doll pricing drop lower than what I paid for dolls in the 90's.  This is happening throughout this category for all types of doll collecting.  So I am going to stick to my future pricing objectives which is to make some PROFIT!

Stressing over getting 5 star ratings is also feeling like I did in school.....kindegarten.  I would like to feel appreciative of myself and my selling endeavors and keep pricing fair to myself for a change.  I realize times are hard.  I am experiencing this in my household too!!

I've met really really great buyers and I do offer super low prices at times to keep the mood gracious and fun too.     There must be a way to make selling a wonderful rewarding choice for making a living.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I agree as well!
It's time consuming to create just one crochet item, then to take pictures, edit them and list! I too was (am) desperate for profit, but will list accordingly. Thankfully my items are not something that can be made in a factory with machines and that alone is a huge advantage in my market lane. I'm going to continue to create, list and wait patiently.... Since this auction conversation came up, I listed an item that took me 2 hours to make for 0.50 cents on Thursday, it sold today for $1.60!!! Last time i do that too. My items are definitely not as rear as that comic book ha!
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

It helps to know what your costs really are.

Obviously you know how much thread goes into your item, and what that cost, and you can work out the cost of your packing materials.

But are you putting a reasonable value on your time?

Here in Ontario Canada our minimum wage is 17 cents a minute.

If your $1.60 sale took you only 10 minutes to crochet, you were already out a dime, to say nothing of fees, packing materials, packing time, printer ink, listing time.

But you knew that.

Are you using the 50 Free Auctions? Did you know you can get another 50 Free by listing on eBaydotCA (the Canadian site). You can list in US dollars, but you will have to use Fixed Price Shipping. That should not be a problem with your smaller items.

Might I suggest that you put an approximate size in your titles and exact measurements in your description? Without these many will not even open your listing and more will not order without knowing if they can wear your product. I see you sometimes do this already.

Try to make this a chart rather than a chatty sentence.

Also take a look at your listing on a mobile device/ smartphone. Not all the listing shows up in some cases and you will want to choose what your customers see.

For example

Folklore Folclore Rainbow Crochet Crop Top With Fringe Two Piece Bikini

Might do better with CROCHET BIKINI Sz M handmade FRINGE RAINBOW CROP TOP 2 Pc B CUP

Titles don't need grammar (and I see you've already learned the 'common spelling error' trick). They do need keywords.

I think you are saying in your description that custom garments are possible. Try to be more direct about it. Details could be written on your ME page and you could Link to that.  Don't forget that larger sizes require more time and more materials. Also that custom items may not be resaleable if rejected. Allow for all that in pricing custom orders.

If you can find a model, picture her in a bodysuit with the one of a kind bikini over it. It looks weird but hygenic. I think pictures on a real body would be helpful.

And the Global Shipping Program.

I'm glad you are willing to ship internationally, but at your price point (under $50 US) this is a discouragement to your foreign customers.

If I were to buy one of your suits, I would not pay duty (NAFTA) but I would pay a 13% sales tax and about $5 to PitneyBowes who run the program.  Making a $37 CDN suit cost me $47CDN. 

For readers who sell goods that are not made in the USA( or other NAFTA country) there would be duty as well.

Canadians can only import $20 CDN before duty and sales tax kicks in. This is true in many European countries as well.

Instead I would suggest using First Class International which allows you to have Confirmed Delivery and carries up to four pounds of products.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I use 99 cent listings very sparingly it has to be an item that really holds it value for me to start there. If I find an item under priced enough I will buy it and flip right here on eBay for a profit. A good seller would have priced it at a fair value to them and a customer.

I agree with scorez_galore I list an item usually for what i want it to sell for, I do not expect my items to always sell in 7 days. Sure it's nice if they do sell in a week but sometimes it takes the right person to want it.

Ruining the market by giving things away will put you out of business, I use to sell an antique item consistently for 500 to 600 apiece but so many sellers have offered them for low prices that 350 is now tops. Cash flow is not profit and many sellers fall into that trap.

Take pride in what you sell and it will all work out.

Thanks
Mike
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Gasp!!!!!

The shame of a rookie! I'm going to write down all of your advice on a note pad and keep it around every time I post a listing. I'll get on all of that at once since I believe all my ebay selling ignorance is keeping me from my goals. I've been self educating my self on business but obviously everything on paper is worthless with out experience.

Thanks you all for your professional advice and tips, it's a huge confident booster and it is all greatly appreciated. 😊
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I wasn't trying to be rude and apoligize if it came across like that.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Oh no!!! *smiles*

Nothing that was stated came out rude, I actually just read the beginning of my last comment and I guess that may have come off as sarcastic. I felt humbled and feel as if these were some selling secrets I wasn't suppose to know (as weird as that sounds). I took all of these tips seriously and wrote it down as I said I was. It did really give me confidence (I know, cheese ball over here).

Your also dead on, I started on my winter crochet items and did some research on similar items. SOME of the crochet items that are made in the U.S are priced pretty fairly, items from Hong Kong on the other hand are too cheep for anyone in the U.S to even try to compete with, they are crazy cheep! If we tried to compete here in the U.S, then our market will belong to those huge manufacturers overseas. I'll stick to competing with U.S sellers. Quality and creativity makes a difference, I got this (that's my confidence speaking btw).
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Haha Its the price that comes with online writing. It could of definitely been construed as sarcasm! LOL

Anyway...now that we've cleared that up:p I wanted to pose a question here, if I may. I almost always begin/end my auctions on a Saturday or Sunday, running them for 7 days. Has anyone ever noticed or heard from the" experts" of eBay (which can be wrong. Ex: When I 1st started about a year ago-ish, plus...I recall reading to pre-pack our items before they ever even sell. COUGH Really? Terrible idea! I only know that now that I'm not to much of a Green Pea anymore. I'm glad I i ignored that advise.) if it REALLY makes a difference if we go from Mon to Mon, or Tues to Tues, etc.? Thanks~
Message 15 of 23
latest reply