cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time here! Excited!

I saw a YouTube video of a successful retired ebay seller, she said "joining ebay groups are helpful", so far it has been, I've been ease dropping (:

Anyways, I sell hand made unique crochet pieces. I say unique because I design them my self, I do not write patterns down (I suck at that). Anyways, I just got started and already made huge mistakes. First, I'm selling my hard work for cheep, and I do not have many things and already have a store -_-

Analyzing-fixing... Joining groups and ease dropping xoxo
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: First time here! Excited!

I think it's all a "carp" (mispelling intended**) shoot as far as when you start & end your auctions. I have a thoery & I'll share it with the caveat that your theory is probably just as good as mine.

I try to start my auctions at between 7 and 8 pm so they will end after people in San Francisco are home from work and while people in New York City are still awake. I run them for 7 days so I have all 7 days covered. (I've never sold anything to anyone in SF or NY ... go figure!)

The strategy you choose in every area of your listings (ie; when to start your listing, how many days to run them, whether to use auction, BIN, Best offer or some combination, what your start price will be and your photos & descriptions) will depend on what you are trying to sell and who you believe is going to be searching for items similar to yours as well as your own personal values, strengths, and limitations.

I probably design and start my listings in such a way that they would appeal to me as a buyer.

I don't think this will help anyone determine which day to start listings on but I hope it will keep some people from spending a lot of their time trying to figure it out when there are some more important things that can be done with your time such as learning to use a camera well and photo editing software & spell checking descriptions & cleaning your items prior to photographing them.

The best advice I've read this week is to "take photos as if there were no descriptions and to describe your items as if there were no photos".

If you're curious about some other theories about when to start your listing, try running an eBay "community search" for What is the best day to start a listing I think there are about 1000 messages that contain this phrase so you can use this "community" as a tool.

There are so many smart people asking & answering questions here that it would be foolish to ignore the knowledge of some of the best sellers & most generous people in the eBay stadium.

That's my theory and advice in a large nut shell, like coconut shell, on steroids.

**eBay robots would **bleep** out the word I intended to use!

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I spread my work load out for the week so that I am not spending all day packaging. I do not like to end auctions on Thursdays or Fridays.  This just because of taking Friday as a day off. I like ending auctions on Sunday thru Wednesday and see just  as many sales on those days as the weekend. I sell large items and tend to spend half to an hour packaging items so they arrive safely. One rule I have for myself is use quality packaging, I use all new 99 percent of the time, it gives the customer confidence in you as a seller, brings repeat customers, and I have almost zero damage. I once bought an item and it was shipped in a cereal box! That just really turned me off as a buyer.

Pre packing I will do if I have a bid and the time. I do this full time so I allocate my mornings for packaging and the afternoons to listing. If I don't have a bid I don't pre package.

I guess the main thing is to find what works for you. There isn't a week that goes buy that I don't say " I won't do that again" 

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I use Fixed Price and sell internationally, so my sales can arrive at any time.

DH, who has tens of thousands of items in his Store (cross- listed with items in his B&M shop) does the same. An employee handles those sales.

I just check the email account I have attached to my eBay accounts (all of them, I have seven), each morning to see what sold overnight. That gives me 24 hours to get it in the mailbox.The eBay guy at the shop does the same.

I leave feedback just before sending, giving the buyer information about the shipping. ("Thank you for your prompt payment. Sent Canada Post Air 21/8/14  CX123345556778 )

Most of my sales seem to close on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, with Monday almost as often. Most of my buyers pay immediately. I rarely need to invoice.

I should mention that I sell mostly books, dress patterns, postage lots, postcards and stamps. So my clientele tends to be readers. YMMV.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Hey, right on! You rock;) I have your same theory about starting them once I think folks are home from work on the West Coast and still up on the East. It seems to work, as I've honest to God, sold to SF and to NY both, along with in most States in between.

And yes...I adhere to the Sell/Describe the item w photos, as if you couldn't use even 1 word to describe it! Thanks you guys! All the best to you!
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

You are very interesting! That's A LOT of accounts! So, in your opinion, do you think sellers need separate accounts for each Category they sell under? Sorry! I'm not always the fastest hamster on the wheel;) Still learning, even at 54 yrs of age;) Bless you!!!
Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Awesome. Thank you! Great suggestion to pack 1st part of day, then create listings:) I'm thinking it may not much matter which day I start & end on, as log as (like Mr. EBay says: "Always run items through a weekend.) they hit Sat & Sun somehow.

Mr. Ebays suggestion on pre packing is for g he birds. What if you have to do a specific measurement for a potential buyer, that wasn't covered in your item derails? What if you end up doing a combined s shipping? What if you get asked a question from someone, but you just don't remember if it stretches a lot or not, etc.
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@scorez_galore wrote:
Awesome. Thank you! Great suggestion to pack 1st part of day, then create listings:) I'm thinking it may not much matter which day I start & end on, as log as (like Mr. EBay says: "Always run items through a weekend.) they hit Sat & Sun somehow.

Mr. Ebays suggestion on pre packing is for g he birds. What if you have to do a specific measurement for a potential buyer, that wasn't covered in your item derails? What if you end up doing a combined s shipping? What if you get asked a question from someone, but you just don't remember if it stretches a lot or not, etc.

I agree, I've had to open too many "pre-packaged" items to answer buyer questions after a sale. I always "pre-package" after an item has been paid for & just before I take it to the post office.

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Amen. Sorry for all my lame typos. Hyper sensitive touch screen. Btwn text predictor & auto correct, I should be writing flawlessly. LOL
Message 23 of 23
latest reply