cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please explain the logic of this...

I'm both a seller and buyer on eBay for a ong time, but lately there have been a few odd things that come up tine to time.

The latest is when I put up something for sale using Buy It Now with a Best Offer option, eBay gives me in a couple of days the option of sending an offer to buyers.

My logic in thinking is why would I want to send an offer to a buyer when I have the Best Offer option up for them to make me an offer.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Please explain the logic of this...

Not sure if having an option available requires logic to justify it, or whether eBay has even considered whether the option should appear if the seller has "make an offer" already available.

In any case: some buyers are hesitant to make an offer. Perhaps such buyers have had bad experiences with previous offers that were rejected by sellers that did not want to receive any offers (where eBay added that option against the seller's wishes); perhaps such a buyer was blocked from making a purchase after an offer was considered "insulting".

A seller that accepts offers may still want the option to make an offer to a buyer. Perhaps a buyer, receiving such an offer, might consider that others might have received the same offer and might buy the item if the original buyer does not, and thus be prompted to act on the offer.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Please explain the logic of this...

Because it works?

Ebay is telling you that a buyer (or several) is watching your item or has it in their cart (I think). Sending them an offer gives them a little nudge to act. It's making it simple for them - which is an excellent way to do business. 

We send out over a hundred a week and the results are pretty good.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply