The Chess Collectors
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

Luke Honey.

Luke Honey 16 Jan (6 days ago) to me, guy.lyons Dear Guy My "holding page" is now live, while we finish the new website which should be ready very soon. In the meantime, collectors can sign up for for the newsletter: http://www.lukehoney.co.uk Very ...

Please introduce yourself

Welcome dear Chess Collector, Each new member should introduce himself here. In your post, describe a little of your background and how you found your way to chess collecting. Feel free to read everyone's posts and reply to a couple if you find them ...

my experience with acution wrecking BIN

Hi all, I just won 120954460935 ... ok, missing one knight which Alan said he could carve... and two bishops and a pawn, and his main concern was the coft of the ivory at that point... but I think still clearly worth many times more than $250, and th...

Item received, not as described !

I had a recent discussion with a fellow member of the group, Ty Kroll, and we exchanged some unpleasantness about what happens when an item arrives, as eBay describes it, "not as described" and what transpires afterward. Naturally eBay's rules must b...

User avatar by Adventurer
  • 2 replies
  • 0 helpful

Thistle Rose Chess Sets Comparison

It might be hard for anyone who knows much about the set to confuse a copy of the Wade/Beneagles Thistle Rose Chess Set with the real set of porcelain whiskey bottles, but I didn't know much about the set and seeing a listing selling the copy with li...

Firefox Glitch with eBay Groups

Today experienced the case that currenly Firefox does not allow me to enter eBay groups at all... I had to go via Internet Explorer. I hope this is only my computer glitch but not globally for all of us. But stiil I thought valuable to notify the oth...

User avatar by Thrill-Seeker
  • 4 replies
  • 0 helpful

Soapstone Chess Sets

An interesting soapstone chess set sold on eBay last week, the description of which threw up the question of where these sets were actually made. This is a link to a Picasa album that gives more information on these sets. If anyone can throw any ligh...

Moritz Retzsch Famous Print Devil's Chess

Item 390487617560 The Chess Players, or The Game of Life. Original 1855 publication of the famous print depicting a young man playing the Devil for his soul. It's pretty rare, take a look. -- Edited by bookster7 at 10/31/2012 9:26 AM PDT

Hello all and a question about Drueke No. 0

Hello all, never knew this group existed. I have collected sets for years now mostly as a fun hobby, and the other day I ran across one I am having trouble identifying. The box says it is a Drueke No. 0. It is complete with the instructions. I am try...

Group Management

Hello Everyone, It is some time since I logged into the group and was disappointed in the lack of activity/discussion in the period I was away. In most organisations there is a timescale where new/old "officials" are voted in /out. I would be interes...

• 11 replies
  • 0 helpful

Bishop (chess) history section in wikipedia?

Does someone want to edit the Bishop page in Wikipedia so the photo is less misleading and possibly more accurate? "The groove originates from the original form of the piece, an elephant with the groove representing the elephant's tusks (see photo in...

Ayres staunton chessmen !!!???

The only published reference of any real value to F H Ayres chessmen, was in issue V1 no 3 in the July 1997 issue of the chess collector magazine, by Gareth Williams. This publication is for CCI members only. Way back in the Autumn of 2007 I purchase...

• 10 replies
  • 0 helpful

SOVIET MOVIE "GRANDMASTER" 1972 V.KORCHNOI

Lately I was surprozed by the re-appearance of the Soviet movie "Grandmaster" of 1972 where one of the actors was Victor Kirchnoi. Film was prohibited by Soviet's in 1976 because Korchnoi escaped from USSR. Among other actors Soviet chess Grandmaster...

User avatar by Thrill-Seeker
  • 2 replies
  • 0 helpful