cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING Misdescribed chess sets on ebay!

Use this thread to notify group members about misdescribed chess sets on ebay.
Message 1 of 498
latest reply
497 REPLIES 497

Re: WARNING Misdescribed chess sets on ebay!

Ty,

Your set is the spitting image of the one listed ! Being raised and living in the U.S. all of my life I am not familiar with all metric conversions but I do know the difference between thousandths of a meter and hundredths (millimeters and centimeters) and at 32 millimeters for the board that would make it right just a touch over 1-1/4" squared and the king would be just under 1/4" tall (listing measurements)...... maybe that is the difference between yours and his ?  LOL 

I would think that someone that had worked on restoring The Amber Room would be better qualified to create better shaped pieces than this set not to mention creating a flawless seam of a piece that had been repaired.

With centimeter measurements, the board would be right at 12-1/2" and the king would be close to 2-1/4".

I am sure that I am not the only one to have forgotten about or missed any discussion about using flourescent light on amber....could you refresh my memory and others ? You didn't mean black light use, did you ?

Thanks for the information,

Clay

Message 496 of 498
latest reply

Thanks Clay. I did mean black light... apparently amber should fluoresce blue under UV.. .I mixed up the words there. If anyone else has ideas how to test the internal bits for amber I'm all ears.

Message 497 of 498
latest reply

I contacted an expert at theambergallery.com She actually got back to me very quickly saying (what I thought) that the sets are obviously not real amber; anyone can see that. She said they might be amberoid, though, or pressed amber with or without plastic or artificial resin added and that I should find a local expert to look at my set to confirm that. Meanwhile I tested my set with a black light and it didn't flouresce at all, so, again, I don't think there's amber in it, and I do think this new listing of the same set belongs in this catagory.

Message 498 of 498
latest reply