MATERIAL Metal chess sets

This thread is for metal chess sets.
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

offhand_remark
Enthusiast
http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Antique-Solid-Brass-Chess-Set-low-reserve_W0QQitemZ130080653398QQihZ003QQc... didn't this set just sell on ebay last week?...with the same description and pictures?
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

offhabd-remark yes it did , however the seller was different and it did quite well. item number 300077513418 seller bakerracing132 auction was private , winning bid $719.00/ mabye its not quite as rare as being suggested , also its very common for a seller to watch auctions , copy the description , and list a set he has ,but was unsure what it was. my guess is the item and auction are genuine ,and he will be hoping for his $700.00 or even more ,with the aid of shill bidding . i may be wrong and it could sell for $50.00 who knows.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I rather like the set although I will not bid on it. It is not easy do make difference between white and black pieces at the first glance.
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

offhand_remark
Enthusiast
seller told me he was the winner of the previous auction...he wone tw auctions...would keep one and sell the other. he is re-selling this one.
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

offhand_remark
Enthusiast
just a warning to anyone looking at 330087459911 ... I talked to the seller and these are 2 different sets of pieces...look at the bishops. also, the grey pieces are painted and weigh 8 lbs. while the other half weighs 5 lbs. Geesh, what's it take to find a decent set of brass pieces around here?
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Suggestion to ALL who might be interested in seeing some discussion about a couple of metal chess sets (bronze): Look under the "restoration" thread (04/20/07 - 04/25/07 and possibly later/upcoming...) John, Vermont
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Good Sunday Morning, all! I see that a relatively modern bronze figural chess set, unique and made with the "lost wax method" (see restoration thread postings 36 and 37 April 2007 for previous discussion of the set) recently sold on ebay for about $450 as Ebay item # 360005281022, "Jungle Carnage Amazing Bronze Chess Set". (A little side comment here... Gevork6, apparently, another long "lost" entity, was the winning bidder, and another "favorite" friend Pat12201985, who still is accumulating fantastic official feedback despite the apparently questionable description of come of his chess sets, of Poughkeepsie, NY was the seller. Not easy to imagine that with a town name of "Poughkeepsie", there could be such as a great feedback... But I digress, as usual, and I might now be subject to criticism myself for such questionably unkind statements, eh?) ANYWAY, I have a few comments about this particular chess set. 1.) I have one of these sets (different colors) and am very pleased with it. (But each one of us has our own taste, right? Some folks might not like this one, but I do...) Floyd of Lichess introduced me to a similar set, with different colors, at his oustanding home museum a couple/few years ago. (Thanks again, Floyd!) 2.) Despite the somewhat confusing coloration on these sets (they can come in a relatively wide range of colors), the detail and quality of the design and casting is outstanding. And the weight of each of the chess pieces is impressive. 3.) These sets seem to be fairly difficult to come by. And I do not think there are many out there. It is possible that these are now "made to order". I have seen only a couple on ebay in the many years I have been surfing ebay. 4.) To me, the going (realized) price on the set just "won" (interesting term there, eh?) was on the high side. Directly from the artist in Mexico, the asking price was quite a bit less. Maybe the current market value, given the relative rareness of this set, does indeed reflect the current realistic value. Then again, it seems that all things change with time... Sometimes, values go up and sometimes values go down. As the saying goes, "Beauty... (and value?) ... is in the eye of the beholder". 5.) So, in my own humble opinion, I would recommend that if anyone likes such a finely cast, heavy, metal chess set of original design (the relatively recent plastic or composite materials of a similar design are a poor copy of this set), then go for it in the future! Have a great day, y'all! John, in a January Thaw-like "State", 😉 Vermont.
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
Dear alan, 110212671828 is a "vintage" Italfama set - the box is the same as in ANRI sets, presumably 60ies to 70ies. Present issue from this maker is much "gaudier" - what do You think? Interesting - or just corny upmarket trash, interior decoration? Salve Nicholas
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

To ALL. If you are so inclined (or have finally gotten up from your position of incline today), 😉 take a look at ebay item # 250220698330. I am usually not a complainer of poor pictures. Not only am I myself a relatively poor picture taker... but most of the time, I leave the comments about poor pictures to others on these threads. However, I must take exception to the overall pics taken of the pieces in item # 250220698330. They are not certainly not the worst pictures ever posted, but they leave much to be desired - especially with respect to looking at each piece and seeing if all the pieces are there. The box, if it is indeed original to the set, seems to have enough cubbies to accommodate 32 pieces. But all of the pieces are not shown! What a shame! This might be one nice set; animals made of metal - looks (maybe?) better than usual? Potential winning bid might be a steal(?) Any comments? Serious John, Vermont.
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

To all who might be interested in metal chess sets. See 320481709319. Price not bad (and seller has "9" of these for sale.) Chess pieces not large, but the detail seems pretty good? Seems new on the market? Seller also has other themes in the same alleged "pewter" material. John, VT.
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Oops There might be an error in the number somewhere . 😉
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Guy, Nope. Number is correct. (It might be you who are in error!) :O John. 😉
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Ah, Guy....! I just did a little (very little 😉 ) "research" into the matter. I looked slightly further into the apparent difficulty that you (and now, I assume, non-USA ebayers) might have in not having access to that particular ebay item of 320481709319. It appears that the item description says delivers to US only. So, should I assume that is why it does not show up for you? (Kinda weird, though, that it would not allow you to even see the item, wouldn't you say?) Please... maybe a USA ebay viewer here can confirm his/her ability to see the item? AND maybe at least one other European / British ebayer could try looking up the number? What results do folks get? Thanks. John, VT.
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

What a gentleman you are " Sir John " . I see the research stuff is catching on a little . 😉
Message 15 of 24
latest reply