cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat

I am curious... why the closure of chat 2? And where is Kristjan? :( John, Vermont. -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 2:18 AM -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 6:04 AM
Message 1 of 1,410
latest reply
1,409 REPLIES 1,409

Re: Chat

I love that movie and love that song.

. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 1351 of 1,410
latest reply

Regarding posted messages # 1,344 - 1346 on this topic thread...

Our mutual friend, Glasgow Guy (The Chesspurr Puzzycat who has been acting more like his Lyon self) is just one step away from having his way with me in a devastating game of chess. He is thoroughly smushing (and thank God, not smooching ) me in the current, almost-ended (one move away from the end of our) game on an Internet website.

He is definitely (as an old TV cartoon character, Yogi Bear, tooted on the American airwaves years ago), "...Better than the average bear...!" He is a very worthwhile opponent ("in my humble opinion") and quite frankly, seems quite good at this old game of chess!..... perhaps even as ruthlessly interesting in how he plays this game - similar to the merciful? conquerors of the plains and plateaus of Eastern Asian...! Yes, one very good chess player!

Soon to be in a chess grave, John.

Message 1352 of 1,410
latest reply

Nearly everyone is good at something.

Message 1353 of 1,410
latest reply

John,

Imagine having a few beers, and playing blitz chess with this set !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300662347429?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

]:)

Message 1354 of 1,410
latest reply

HICcup.......

Argh.... my tummy ain't feelin' too well...!

Ohhhhh....... where's the john....?

Message 1355 of 1,410
latest reply

"The most beautiful sound I've ever heard..." (Sorry Clay, I don't know the one from Paint Your Wagon... this is the best I got.)

Message 1356 of 1,410
latest reply

Ah.... Ty.

Regardless of the color of your wagon, you do have good taste (IMHO) in songs, when it comes to theater / movies. "West Side Story" is one of my favorites. Good old Leonard Bernstein (rest in peace!) Hmmm.... I wonder - since this is a chess related group - if a set could be molded from metal or plastic, to create the two sides presented in that movie. Then it could be mass produced in the Far east - to the delight of some European Chess Collectors!

Ah, the mind does travel as far as where many sets are made, eh?

John.

Message 1357 of 1,410
latest reply

Hello all, "including, but not limited" to: Kristjan, Duncan, Keith, Mick, and Guy.

I have decided to post "Part 2" of my overall response that began on the (paraphrasing, as I cannot recall due to my occasionally short term memory problems.... '-) "illegal auction wrecking BIN" thread..." So, here goes.

In doing a search, both in the Chat Section and the Chess Discussion section, using the word "ethics", it appears that the overwhelming majority of topics referred to two subtopics: 1.) Ethics and Ivory.... and 2.) Ethics in Chess Dealings. But I do not think it has to stop right there - and in fact it did not. There were a few others digressing discussions surrounding the topic of ethics. Go and look for yourselves.

However, one of my own main opinions on the topic (which in at least one instance focused at least initially on CCI) was prompted by some excellent questions of Guy Chesspurr. Rather than reiterating that discussion, why don't all of you go and take a look at what I had to say. It can be found at:

Re: Ethical dealing in chess sets
Posted on: Mar 30, 2010 3:15 PM, by member:
knight_knight_zzz (120 ) View Listings

Now, as far as chess sets, it is completely understandable, I think, how one would want to focus on chess sets - since this IS a primarily a chess (sets) discussion group. However, to have the whole focus be essentially all about aspects surrounding only chess sets, (I think) misses a point of which I have repeatedly mentioned over these many years. That, as humans, we each have biases, faults, preferences, strengths, weaknesses, etc. etc. etc. (And our chess sets, which can't help but reflect our own humanity, have their own qualities and imperfections!)

If one is looking for 100% consistency in everything that each and every one of us does.... well, then.... one is going to be thoroughly disappointed in each and every one of us. "There ain't no such an animal", no matter how much arguing and convincing one tries to do with others - or in one's own life.

One might TRY to be consistent - and that could, in fact, be admirable. . But it is certainly a losing battle if one is looking to achieve perfection. We all do misdeeds, mistakes, neglectful and harmful things in our lives. There could be some debate as to how or if some folks display a greater degree of that than other folks. But we are fooling ourselves if we think that we ourselves are without fault. And frankly we come away not only appearing foolish, but we might even fertilize it with our own doings and sayings. (As an example, I myself often make a fool of myself in a number of my postings. I even seem to encourage it.) The unfortunate thing is that sometimes, more than one of you do it too, and you do not even realize it...! Some of you are blind even to yourselves!

One (of many) Internet websites, which defines ethics defines it terms of "moral principles" and of "rightness an wrongness". Other words which seem to associate with "ethics" are "cultural", religious, and medical.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethics

I would now like to do a little bit of not only listing, but an "honest" expansion of the things that could be involved with ethics... (we will not even get into the legality of some things.) We will stick with the "ethics" of things for this little discussion. I would like to have this "discussion" begin with a expanded list of questions:

1.) Is it ethical to abandon one's dreams and hopes and aspirations for one's self, and deny oneself at least some pleasures in life (such as chess and chess sets) and to try to "save the world from war, famine, and environmental "disasters"?

2.) Is it ethical to focus - either exclusively on - or for the overwhelming majority of their time and life - on just chess sets?

3.) Is it ethical to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on chess related sets and items.... while there are so many other problems of life and death and physical (and mental) health?

4.) Is it ethical for a number of us to just be spending so much time on various aspects of the chess world, when other (perhaps more) "important" things could be done - not only for and to others - but also to and for ourselves?

5.) is it ethical to send prohibited items in the mail cross the ocean?

6.) Is it ethical to allow a chess friend to bid (and win) an ebay item, when we ourselves really wanted that item?

7.) Is it ethical to buy (at an extremely low price) an extremely rare or economically valuable chess set from an unknowing seller?

8.) Is it ethical to give, as a gift, to a newly found chess friend, a set that the friend has longed for..... while at the same time, donating significantly less the truly needy, starving people in the world?

9.) Is it ethical to apparently not give any credit to another "researcher" for work he supplied to the chess research world?

10.) Is it ethical to knowingly sell (or to miss, despite a claim of American Experthood) a chess set with defects or replacement chess pieces?

11.) Is it ethical to not speak up, when one really should speak up?

12.) Is it ethical to monopolize conversations - in this or other Ebay forums? In CCI Circles? In Private Groups

13.) Is it ethical to lament too much?

14.) Is it ethical to never actively contribute to this group?

The issue of ethics and morals..... and what is right or wrong.... and what is proper and appropriate..... can be and is a sensitive one.

In the end, each of us must make those decisions - FOR OURSELVES. Of course, each of our decisions can and do affect others. "No man is an Island".

While I think it is relatively normal for people to judge others, (and I do it myself... and sometimes, I think or realize that I am wrong about some things, and sometimes I think I am right about some things - like this posted message "Part 2" right here!)

There is an old saying that, I believe, comes either from one of a higher authority..... OR perhaps from just a wise old man or men.... "Judge not lest ye be judged." There are some other sayings which a number of you may decide to "poo-poo" due to their supposed biblical origins. But those sayings do carry some validity, I think. Those other sayings mention things about casting a first stone.... and splinters, sawdust, and logs in eyes.

My interest here is to not try to take the joy away from chess collecting and discussion, but rather to try to place things in perspective.

John, Vermont

Message 1358 of 1,410
latest reply

I think it may be time, "y'all", to remind ourselves (including and perhaps primarily myelf) of the festivities of today, April 1.

And so, please allow me to quote from a newsletter Katherine Neville. (For those of you unfamiliar with her works of literary art, she is that fabulous author of - among several novels, "The Eight" and "The Fire - both of which have chess themes!)

So, without further ado, this is what Katherine has to say:

"Birth of the Fool The words in the Greek lexicon that interestingly follow on Aphrodite's footsteps are Aphroneusis= Playing the Fool, or Aphroneo=to act foolish or silly, or Aphrontis=to be heedless, free from care. The Wise Fool - whether in the Tarot deck or in world literature - is my favorite character, the one who is not afraid to step off the cliff into a new reality. He appears as Khizr the Green Man in the Qur'an, he delights (and fools) people, in teachings from the Sufis to the Southwestern Indians, with his freedom from scholarly rules, regulations, rigidity. He is the Coyote, the Trickster, Thoth and Hermes and Mercury, all rolled into one. He is everywhere and nowhere. His number is zero, the most important number in the world.

A quote from my heroine Verity Banks, in my book, A Calculated Risk, may sum up this viewpoint. Verity says:

"Some people think that rules are made to be broken. I have never thought so. For me, rules are like flagpoles in a slalom race: You observe their presence religiously, skirt around them as closely as possible, and never let them cut your speed."

HAPPY FOOL'S DAY, EVERYONE!

And when we feel ourselves sliding down, let's not be afraid to dig in our edges, pick up speed, go with the flow, and slalom down that mountain!"

Now, back to this Ver Mont Fool. Lest I sign off without another chess-related picture, I really feel the need to say, Kristjan, that I really like your current avatar!   

In The Anonymous Chess Collector, Kristjan has one great picture of a clown / fool. It can be found here:

http://anonymouschesscollector.blogspot.com/2007/02/two-bishops.html

And while I might not always agree with you, Kristjan, including your "interesting" comments on quote, "Chinese Crap", as mentioned in your website section, "About Collecting"...

http://anonymouschesscollector.blogspot.com/search/label/About%20collecting

.... WELL, I DO HAVE TO SAY THAT I DO APPRECIATE ALL THAT YOU, KRISTJAN,  HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE CHESS WORLD IN YOUR RELATIVELY BRIEF PERIOD OF TIME OF CHESS COLLECTING. (Seems like a brief 7 or so years? Ah.... just a baby at that... young whippersnapper!) 😉    

And finally and in addition, may I suggest to all of you who are fans of "fine art"(?), the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Chess-Game-Alain-Scordilis-Master-Artist-Lithograph-/200729396979?pt=Art...

John, The Vermont Fou. 😉

Message 1359 of 1,410
latest reply

John,

Your interesting posting deserves a reply, as the refrence to Kristjans views is an opinion, just like his own.

From my own view point, making public on a site or even here repeated negative views on any types of chess set, has its drawbacks.

One day most of us will have to part with our collections, when we either are alive, or dead .

It is pretty obvious that any collector who sees comments on his or her sets, which conflict with their own, may react when such a public critic, starts to sell off identical sets, at a later date.

The basic problem is that for the most part we collectors, will have varied tastes, and the price paid for our fare, is often not known.

These views of mine may to some make open discussion on what is collectable, not worth the effort as possible passionate opinion is voiced, just as repeated negativity does it to myself.

Yesterday I was browsing around a well known Glasgow Antique centre, and I met a friendly gentleman, and we discussed a 19th century Chinese Ivory set with damages priced at £ 450.00. During our exchanges he mentioned that he knew of a chess collector who lived outside the city, and his collection was close to two hundred sets.

I gave him my name, and requested that he asked this collector, to get in touch with myself. I also gave him a refrence to my public site..

If this person was to view identical sets to his own on my public Picasa albums, being expressed in a less favourable way, one wonders if any enthusiasm for a meeting up would be forthcoming.

There are sellers who sell chess sets, and also collect, and they may offer negavitity in private, to valued customers, but they certainly dont use their sites to be overly critical of any chessmen.

I have alot more time for this method of doing business, and respect for the people who do it this way.

Please note this view is my own, and I am not speaking for other parties.

Message 1360 of 1,410
latest reply

John,

Thank you for including that link to Kristjan's blog on 'Chinese Crap' etc.  Perhaps Kristjan came across a little 'strong' in his wording/definitions/descriptions but, overall, I found it very educational and informative, and actually see it as a form of public service.  I could have probably saved myself some money and avoided a few needless sets had I read it a few years ago.  I would at least have had a better knowledge of what I was looking at and either avoided such 'crappy' sets or would have at least not paid the prices I did.  There may have been some I would have still bought because I liked them - the only reason I buy any chess set whether valuable or not - but I definitely could have bargained more informatively or, if necessary, moved on and waited until I saw them at a more realistic price.

I fully agree there is no benefit in speaking negatively about any chess set simply because it may not meet our own particular standards, but there is a difference, I believe, in speaking negatively about chess sets and the sharing of honest information.  Crap is still crap, by any standard.  Perhaps the real gift is in being able to share such information in a diplomatic and kindly manner while still saving the collector from known pitfalls he will most certainly meet along the collecting path.  Kristjan's blog, I think, provides a service by helping to save a collector from such known pitfalls.  Like me, the collector may still buy one of those sets because he likes them - I have one of those Chinese 'crap' sets because I particularly like the little knights.  But I also have no false illusions about its value.  At least the would-be collector, having Kristjan's information in mind, can now be smart enough to buy such a set without needlessly paying an arm and a leg for it.

. . .

Message 1361 of 1,410
latest reply

John, I have to say, I think you just blew out one side of my brain with your in-depth discussion of illegal BINs and ethics.  TMI for my brain, I believe, since I am still trying to wrap my head around the basic question on BINs itself, much less how it fits into human nature as a whole.  But there is no denying, while I view myself as a very ethical person, your questions on ethics raised some interesting points.  However, I think I may just skip considering them all, one by one, in depth, before proceeding to bid on a chess set.  ]:) 🙂

. . .

Message 1362 of 1,410
latest reply

Guy... an interesting view of things.

Duncan..... regarding your posting # 1360 on this topic thread..... one needs to qualify, (as I think you attempted to do) on the meaning of "value".

I think you did imply, Duncan, that the "Chinese Crap" set did in fact have value to you, for the reason you indicated. "Value", (as I think you essentially tried to indicate), is not necessarily monetary value.

I myself received a quasi "Chinese Crap" chess set from my adult bi-racial (Chinese-American) daughter, when she visited (and studied Mandarin) in mainland China for several months as part of her college education several years ago. The set was supposedly / reportedly made of jade stone. While it was stone, you and I would know better that it was not likely "jade".) The supposed deceptive practice, which involves aspects of exaggeration and negotiating on prices, is part of the culture over there. She may have paid as much as, perhaps, $25. But and regardless, I find that set priceless...! To me, it is a treasure. And it holds a very special "valuable" place in my chess collection and heart.

Just doing a little bit of teasing, there, Kristjan...! 😉

I do have to remind you, Duncan, that my last couple of lines directed towards Kristjan in my last posting in this topic thread (Chat) were indeed positive and actually thankful to him.

(Quote: ".... WELL, I DO HAVE TO SAY THAT I DO APPRECIATE ALL THAT YOU, KRISTJAN, HAVE CONTRIBUTED TO THE CHESS WORLD IN YOUR RELATIVELY BRIEF PERIOD OF TIME OF CHESS COLLECTING...")

Of course, in my usual wiseguy (no relation to my alter-ego brother Guy - though sometimes folks might wonder about that....) I DID add that "(Seems like a brief 7 or so years? Ah.... just a baby at that... young whippersnapper!)"

I hope that you also take that as a compliment, Kristjan! I would probably trade all of my chess sets for your relative youth. It seems that you may have (at least) 15-30 years before you catch up to a number of us other chess collectors!

And with that, sweet dreams, Kristjan!

knight_knight_zzz!

John. Vermont.

Message 1363 of 1,410
latest reply

John, yes you may have hit what I was attempting to quantify right on the nose.  While all sets - everything, for that matter - have a certain value (or they probably would never have been made/marketed in the first place) and, as Guy argues, for that should probably not be spoken of negatively due to the value it may have to a particular holder (such as your priceless gift of a chess set from China, when it comes to the buying world, I am grateful for the information I find, like Kristjan's, that helps me establish the true monetary value.  For example, I have an oxbone set that I paid $100 for, and sacrificed to do so, only to find out it was a mishmash of several sets.  If I had known that, I probably would have never bought it in the first place, and definitely not paid what I did - nor endured the sacrifice it took to do so.  I only wish I had had a knowledgeable person that day to steer me the right way.  I may have been disappointed in learning the true value of the set, but how much better than my later disappointment and the fact that I could have saved my $100 for a better deserving set.

. . .

Message 1364 of 1,410
latest reply

Duncan,

Yes, I agree with you.

Now, I don't know if you or others are aware of what I am about to say.... and in case you and they are not, here goes a little "inside" information:

A few years ago, I read (what was then) a somewhat / slightly different version of the current opening introductory message in / for this Chess Collectors Group. I think (but am not 100% sure) that it was originally written by our original leader, Robert Van der.

When I first read it in its original form, I thought it was actually too harsh and somewhat paranoid in its warning about the chess collecting world as well as, perhaps, ebay sellers.

So, to try to be more tactful and balanced about it (yes.... me tactful and balanced...! 😉 ), I offered to reword it a tad. And Robert essentially accepted my wording! I think that the current wording reflects to some degree what you and I agree upon.

I think that there has to always be an underlying understanding of "buyer beware". But things are not always one way or one sided. Sometimes, unknowing sellers get "taken for a ride"...!

Why don't we.... or maybe we can all agree(?) that no one is 100% correct about things 100% of the time.... and that we all should be cautious about things.... and that each of us makes mistakes in our judgment about things.... including how we word things...

Why can't we just be "One Big Happy Family"?..... (Well, because that ain't what life is like. Right?) "Normal" family and healthy adult interaction can and does include disagreement about some things, as well as freedom of expression of thoughts and ideas....

Ok, I think I have said my own piece..... and speaking of which.... "peace be with all of you!" 😉

John, VT.      

-- Edited by knight_knight_zzz at 04/02/2012 4:16 AM PDT
Message 1365 of 1,410
latest reply