cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHESS COLLECTORS INTERNATIONAL

having recently joined the CCI , which i am informed has some 400 members , it seems most interesting to me that a collectors group can amass 218 members in a few months . why can a most established organisation almost seem under threat with new collectors ? do new collectors feel the e bay group is sufficient ,and CCI membership ,not necessary ? has the internet taken the CCI by suprise ,and they have underestimated just how many collectors are out there ? could cost of membership be a factor ? could the chosen locations of conferences put off certain collectors ( no uk meetings ?? ) and also is the cost of attending such meetings a worry for any collectors ? could more links between our group and the CCI ,offer advantages to us both ,with possible increased membership, for the CCI ,and thus offer improvements ,if membership was suddenly greatly increased ? could existing members even consider leaving the CCI if our group continues to expand at such a rate ? it would be very interesting to see a flood of inputs from group members , which offer views positive , or negative . it might off the CCI an opportunity to adress ,study ,and benefit from this discussion. i have a number of ideas ,which might be worth considering ,but on this issue ,i am at present a lone voice , not a rich collector , and my views alone cannot possibly be enough . i have enjoyed the issues so far ,and have no desire to leave the CCI , and sincerly hope that this discussion will benefit , chess collectors international. chess collecting has changed forever , with the internet , e bay , and it seems to me at least that this discussion might conclude that change is necessary.
Message 1 of 426
latest reply
425 REPLIES 425

to lichess Thanks Floyd! I received your package of materials on CCI and related items. Very nice! I see you're quite the chess collector! How nice to receive all of that information, reading and viewing material!
Rick Knowlton
Message 31 of 426
latest reply

You are all most welcome to the CCI material I mailed to you. I enjoy sharing the information about chess collecting. Let me know if there is other printed material that you are interested in. And for anyone else, feel free to ask Lichess@aol.com Floyd
Message 32 of 426
latest reply

I got material from Floyd as well. Very nice! I thank him very much!
Message 33 of 426
latest reply

I am surprised that more members of this group have not inquired about more information about Chess Collectors International. Also, how many "members" have only signed in once and never returned? 332 "members" as of this posting, but how many have been here only once and never again? Anyway, for those who may be returning and for those who are just signing in, you can contact me at Lichess@aol.com if you want additional printed material about Chess Collectors International, its publications and its live meetings. Floyd, Long Island Chess Museum
Message 34 of 426
latest reply

lichess hi floyd the more i see you in action with advice on sets in our group ,plus your kind gesture in mailing me info on the regence knights heads issue , the more grateful i am in being a C C I member. i also am impressed with jim joannou our uk representative who was most helpful to me at the recent bonhams auction . yes being a C C I member is bearimg quality fruit for me at least. having thomas thomsen ,and gareth williams offer advice on a few of my sets ,was also very useful. if any group member is thinking of joining this important established group of collectors , my humble advice is ........join.... ,and remember you only gain from an organisation by giving as well as receiving , i am learning this important lesson as my contacts list grows. contact with fellow collectors is essential to collect well,and is far more rewarding.
Message 35 of 426
latest reply

Hello Floyd, I am also surprised that not more group members have ask information about Chess Collectors International. I encourage all group members to become also members of CCI. It will add an extra dimension that this group can not give. Maybe you can write an article about CCI for the next group newsletter? In October I will clean the group member list. I also want to know how many “real” members this group has. See also the group charter rule #6: Since we envision this as a dynamic & active Group, any Member who joins but who does not revisit the Group for an entire year are subject to removal.
Message 36 of 426
latest reply

Hi all, I have been a member of CCI for a few years, not quite from the beginning but not far short. I have always found the members knowledgeable and helpful, particularly those already mentioned. I do have an issue with the cost of the international meetings ,but that is a personal thing and would not affect everyone. I think that joining the CCI would be a good move for anyone collecting antique sets and those who can make it to some of the London auctions. Bearing in mind that Bloomsburys isn't the only seller by any means, and Christies sometimes have collections of sets in their sales,(however it's not easy to predict when they will be held) I would like to suggest cutting the non use period down to 3 months, as this resource is most useful on a (at least) weekly basis, and its no use to the rest of us to have a load of drones in the group. Regards Alan D.
Message 37 of 426
latest reply

to all. i agree with robert ,and alan here .the problem for regular contributors in our group is one of frustration. why should we offer so much to the many ,who give back next to nothing. C C I members pay for the previlage of joining that organisation ,whilst we pay nothing for roberts efforts, in improving our group each week. we now have a magazine , and free flowing valuable information ,which is a good thing too. also i am happy to see sellers in our group too ,as they can study our views and see the benefits of keeping us happy with improved listings ......................e g. alanis-neo. however even some big spending collectors in our group have not even expressed a single view on any topic. talk of taking free drinks at the party , and bringing nothing to the hosts . yes alan ,i think three months seems about right here.
Message 38 of 426
latest reply

Hi Guy, I agree in principle with what has been said, however i'm forever changing my mind and although there should be no compulsion to contribute, at least if those who only look in to get information occasionally have to reregister every time it might make them think. I'm very impressed with the strand on missdescribed sets on ebay, this should be a first port of call for every one before purchasing. I didn't "see" the rooks for bishops switch on 110101647982 bone"barleycorn" until I had another look ,having been alerted by the group. Now as to this cr*p set "1" It isn't barley corn (as there are no barleycorns on it ,and call me old fashioned but If I buy a "barleycorn" set I want to see some on it!! "2" It's a common as muck old English pattern set or plain bone set, or to be more accurate ,it's a collection of chess piece spares fit only for the spares box (and even then not very useful) "3" The vendor boasts that every thing he sells is perfect and as described, and consequently he can operate a no returns policy ,and all sales are final. Well I don't quite know where to begin with this bit of gibberish.First ,there are (in this country at least)actual laws pertaining to vendors and their items saying that if something is not as described and/or not fit for purpose then the purchasers money should be refunded. I'm lost for words at this stupid guy. I'll end now before I explode!! Alan D.
Message 39 of 426
latest reply

Hi Alan Don't explode. It is not worth it. We only can help collectors to avoid these sellers and these sets.
Message 40 of 426
latest reply

jvreij hi joost dont worry ,if alan does explode into little pieces ,well he can restore himself !!!!.
Message 41 of 426
latest reply

Hi Guy , I havent got the time to restore my own chess sets ,never mind putting myself back together. Regards Alan (BANG!!!)(too late)
Message 42 of 426
latest reply

maybe some superglue will help B-)
Message 43 of 426
latest reply

Robert, there is a very good article by Guy, about chess on ebay, in the latest issue of The Chess Collector in which he mentions you and this Group.You should be getting your copy in the mail within the next ten days. I think a more in depth article, more specifically about this group, should follow in either The Chess Collector or CCI-USA. Maybe Guy will write that one also. In return, I will try to write an article about Chess Collectors International for the next issue of the Newsletter for the Group. There more intercommunications we have, the more fun for all of us sharing this unique interest. Floyd
Message 44 of 426
latest reply

To ALL members of the group as well as members of CCI. Who will be in London for the Christies auction at the beginning of May? Can anyone set up a dinner meeting on the night before the auction for those who will be there in person? Floyd Lichess@aol.com
Message 45 of 426
latest reply