cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone recognize these chessmen?? Please.

Does anyone recognize these pieces?  I could not find anything. Maybe someone can point me in a direction since I am stumped. The  queen weighs 3 oz,  King is approx 141 mm tall,  base 1 & 3/4" or 43 mm.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Anyone recognize these chessmen?? Please.

Image?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Chess Pieces 2.jpg

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Chess Pieces 3.jpg

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Chess Pieces 1.jpg

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I may be off here, but it looks similar to exotic bone sets like these two:

http://www.regencychess.co.uk/kings-cross-carved-camel-bone-chess-pieces-p-96.html

or

http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-X2011.htm

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Modern versions like those are generally of camel bone, but the set in question (and the cae especially) looks older (probably post WWII, 1950's or such ) - the composition is difficilt to see from the the images.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for your input. Thought I posted a reply earlier but does not appear to have stuck. At any rate, prior to posting for help, my searches lead me to believe "India" and early 20th century. Speculation purely...and based on India being the only chess pieces I could locate that resembled the markings of the set in question. It also seems those pieces from India were the only type that resembled the same height as pieces in question, (king est 5 3/5"). I did locate on the internet cases just as this one, their time period being early 20th century. Seems the case I have is large, I have not spotted another in the 19" X 13" range. I will post when I find out anything more.

Thank you, Donna

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I agree that these are most likely from India and also probably camel bone. I would date them more into recent than earlier. My guess is something more along the 80's or 90's.

The most notable issue is the king's height. Just over 5-1/2" is abnormally tall for these sets. More often than not they remain in the 3-1/2 to 4" height range. The box dimmensions would barely support a pair of 5-1/2" tall kings so I suggest re-measuring.

Clay Neubert

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thank you. I re-measured the case and it is 19" x 13 1/2". As far as date it seems if produced in 80's, I would have been able to find one "some where" on the internet or atleast more cases like this one that I have only been able to find two. I believe the case dates the pieces much older and based on the other same cases I have found. I have to remember that this set came from an estate sale of a retired pilot, so possibilities of items origin even greater. The few items we bought there have been the hardest ones for me to arrive at a value, since what he seem to gravitate towards were things not as common and not a particular catagory. If you come up with anymore thoughts, please post.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

A relatively similar set has just appeared on eBay US

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-INDIAN-BONE-CHESS-SET-HAND-CARVED-PIERCED-31-p-FITTED-CASE-20th-C-...

I tend to agree with the seller - mid C20th.

From the 3rd image (of the base), it looks as if that set may be ivory - not bone. One can just about make out faint Schreger lines.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for alerting me to the listing, I did check it out and the set does look very similiar. After reading your message I had received an email back from Garrick Coleman who said "Your set is what you say it is Indian ivory mid 20th century." 

I just didnt realize Indian Ivory. I also didnt realize ebay doesnt allow selling. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Great eye!
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Many of the more modern Indian sets are camel bone - but pre-ban (and for a while afterwards) they used ivory quite a lot, as there would often be 'left-overs' from larger carvings. I did wonder about your set as, although I can't see any Schreger lines,  there is some discolouration that can be typical of ivory.

Of course, just because its ivory doesn't necessarily mean anything, or greatly affect the value - in English sets, it often does, as ivory was a more expensive and less frequently used material, 'reserved' for the better quality sets, but that is not always the case where it is relatively commonplace.

Indian (in the sense of coming from Indian elephants, not necesaarily where the piece was carved) ivory has a different 'look' to it than the African variety - not so attractive to my eye, in general, but others may think differently.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Have never seen before.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply