cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random scrunched text when copying and pasting HTML to selling form

I use SeaMonkey to compose the description part of my listing. It previews perfectly in Chrome, SeaMonkey or Safari. When I upload it to Ebay, however, in the selling form, random words run together. As an example, the words "the quick brown fox jumped over" may well be displayed as "thequick brown jumpedover". The HTML appears to be correct and I can't figure out why this is happening. It's also very time consuming to fix it.

I tried copying and pasting the text from SeaMonkey to BBEdit, then resaved, but I still have the problem. Is the problem with me or Ebay, and if it's with me, how come it previews perfectly in Chrome, etc. If it's with Ebay, any idea how to resolve it? For the record, I'm saving the text as Unicode 8.

So, has anyone else experienced this problem and has anyone else figured it out?

Many thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Can't explain it, but it's always been said to use Windows Notepad to compose as it has the least html to conflict with what ebay puts into descripton.........

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, DH. I used to use Dreamweaver and never had a problem. It’s only since I started using SeaMonkey that the problem started. I have to make the software switch since I own an old version of DW that’s 32-bit and Apple is shortly going to 64-bit only. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Use Notepad ++ that should help a lot!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

kaelykat, thanks for the suggestion. As long as I use Dreamweaver CS5 to compose my HTML, it will display perfectly. I like to switch between WYSIWYG and code when I create an ad, which Notepad (either Windows or Mac) doesn't give me. Do you know what character set everyone is using? I use Uni-code-8, and that's always worked in the past.

Why does Ebay make everything so difficult! ARGH!
Message 5 of 5
latest reply