cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Specific HUGE List and Free Shipping coming up as Default

doug@ebay

tyler@ebay

Good evening Gentlemen,

Just curious, who let the new guy mess around with the Advanced Listing Tool while nobody was watching?  (just kidding).  Starting today, with item number  332627277985 and 332627285934, two things that I am aware of occured.

1. Item specific list is huge:  the first pic below is for item 332627285934, the wooden tool carrier box.  The 2nd pic is for a Cast Iron skillet listing I created but will not take it live until late tomorrow.  Most of the item specifics now being supplied do not apply.  Its almost as though the programming is grabbing words from the title and bringing every item specifc up it can find.

2. I did not notice at first but Free Shipping is now checked as the default on the Listing form ... I ship virtually nothing with free shipping.  I noticed it creating some skillet listings then went back and checked the two item numbers mentioned above and sure enough, Free Shipping was being shown.

These are issues I noticed ... there may be more ... any info you can supply would be helpful.

Screenshot (1134).pngScreenshot (1135).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @mr_lincoln!

You mean that your cast iron skillet doesn't have a doll size of 12 inches!? Smiley Wink

Thanks for these examples. I've been working to get the right teams more data on what the 'suggested specifics' are doing and why they aren't always helpful. 

I've gotten these over to them and hopefully we see more relevant specifics in the future! As for right now, don't add any specifics that aren't applicable for your items. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Oops - forgot the second part of your question. That's an unusual thing that I haven't seen before. 

Were these relists or newly listed items? Trying to get a feel for if there could be listing corruption due to repeated relists/sell similars. If these are from-scratch listings will you let me know? 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @mr_lincoln!

You mean that your cast iron skillet doesn't have a doll size of 12 inches!? Smiley Wink

Thanks for these examples. I've been working to get the right teams more data on what the 'suggested specifics' are doing and why they aren't always helpful. 

I've gotten these over to them and hopefully we see more relevant specifics in the future! As for right now, don't add any specifics that aren't applicable for your items. Thanks!

LOL!  No, that particular skillet does not have the 12" Doll size!  Well, while the "suggested specifics" may not be completely helpful, they did provide a chuckle when I first saw them.  Have not experienced them since that day and I have created a number of new listings since then.  Thanks for responding ... sorry I missed the Chat today, was a bit busy.

Regards,
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay

tyler@ebay wrote:

Oops - forgot the second part of your question. That's an unusual thing that I haven't seen before. 

Were these relists or newly listed items? Trying to get a feel for if there could be listing corruption due to repeated relists/sell similars. If these are from-scratch listings will you let me know? 

They were both brand new listings, done for the first time.  I have also created other brand new listings since then.

Regards,
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

tyler@ebay

tyler@ebay wrote:

They were both brand new listings, done for the first time.  I have also created other brand new listings since then.

Thanks for that clarification - I'll have to do some digging on this. Give me a bit of time to see what I can figure out. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay  Another one ... and you know, this may have been happening more or all along since it started and I just ignored it and jumped down to the fields and filled them in manually ...

Title: HO Scale Revell T-7101 Union Pacific 2995 Train set from 1956 RARE

Item no: 332632372353

Screenshot (1139)-A.png

Oh Tyler, before I forget, I've been meaning to bring this up or send a message to the Catalog department ... the pull down list for country of origin needs to have Yugoslavia added.  A lot of HO Scale trains and other accessories were made there way back when ... but now we have to leave that field as either blank or Unknown as it will not accept a manually typed in country.  I prefer leaving it blank rather than Unknown because I actually DO know ...  

Regards,
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay   tyler,, same exact thing is happening to me, i've noticed it the last week or so.

Everytime I go to make new listings.  After typing in the title and then selecting category .   I then scroll down to fill in item specifics.  I'm getting 20 or more different suggested items specifics that don't even belong in the category i'm listing in.  Hope this makes sense.. if you need more screenshots let me know..

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

tyler@ebay  Another one ... and you know, this may have been happening more or all along since it started and I just ignored it and jumped down to the fields and filled them in manually ...

Title: HO Scale Revell T-7101 Union Pacific 2995 Train set from 1956 RARE

Item no: 332632372353

Screenshot (1139)-A.png

Oh Tyler, before I forget, I've been meaning to bring this up or send a message to the Catalog department ... the pull down list for country of origin needs to have Yugoslavia added.  A lot of HO Scale trains and other accessories were made there way back when ... but now we have to leave that field as either blank or Unknown as it will not accept a manually typed in country.  I prefer leaving it blank rather than Unknown because I actually DO know ...  

Thanks for the other example @mr_lincoln! As for the catalog issue, would you email them? You can reach them directly at sdsupport@ebay.com. That goes straight to the catalog/specifics team - just make sure you give them an item number example, the specfic you'd like changed and the categories you're suggesting it be added to.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@lasantino wrote:

tyler@ebay   tyler,, same exact thing is happening to me, i've noticed it the last week or so.

Everytime I go to make new listings.  After typing in the title and then selecting category .   I then scroll down to fill in item specifics.  I'm getting 20 or more different suggested items specifics that don't even belong in the category i'm listing in.  Hope this makes sense.. if you need more screenshots let me know..

Hi @lasantino - would you be willing to get me the category, the item and a screenshot of the specifics that were suggested? I can get them to the right people. 

I don't think this will be a quick fix, but the more data we can get them the sooner I think we'll see them get fine tuned. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@lasantino wrote:

Hi @lasantino - would you be willing to get me the category, the item and a screenshot of the specifics that were suggested? I can get them to the right people. 

I don't think this will be a quick fix, but the more data we can get them the sooner I think we'll see them get fine tuned. 

Tyler, this has been coming up sporadically for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  There are multiple posts with examples on the Selling board and the Product board.  I had one item last week in Dept 56 Snow Village Accessories, backed out and hit the "Sell one like this" again and the second time the huge lego list of specific recommendations was gone.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I'm curious if the large list is still there if you try to revise? 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

dunno, didn't try... hehehe.  I was just curious what would happen if I canceled the listing and tried again.  I'd been using "Sell a similar" item on several items in that category I didn't have templates for and that was the only one that popped up with the huge list of star wars lego item specifics (along with other strange unrelated specifics ie Blade Size, etc).

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay  ok, tyler. here you go. I was making a listing for women's shoes . 

after i filled in the title and specified condition and what store category. etc. i scrolled down,, and above specifics.. here is a screenshot of the ebays suggested item specifics. the first example is a

pair of womens sandals..item number 183198136797

the second picture is after doing the same process . for a pair of womens flats. item number 183174817848

Screen Shot 04-27-18 at 05.03 PM.JPGScreen Shot 04-27-18 at 12.23 PM.JPG

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@lasantino wrote:

tyler@ebay  ok, tyler. here you go. I was making a listing for women's shoes . 

after i filled in the title and specified condition and what store category. etc. i scrolled down,, and above specifics.. here is a screenshot of the ebays suggested item specifics. the first example is a

pair of womens sandals..item number 183198136797

the second picture is after doing the same process . for a pair of womens flats. item number 183174817848

Screen Shot 04-27-18 at 05.03 PM.JPGScreen Shot 04-27-18 at 12.23 PM.JPG

Thanks so much for this detail @lasantino! I've gotten it to the team involved in this project, and thanks to feedback from you and other Community and social media contacts this is being worked on to fine tune and get corrected. You should not be getting as many random suggestions. 

If you have any others will you grab a screenshot and tag me so I can get it to them? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 16
latest reply