cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a SCAM? If so, how???

My mom, who DOES NOT have an ebay account, has received 10 different pieces of mail over the last week that were all in ebay mail envelopes and from different senders.  All had postage of 60cents and the same font print on the sender and receiver address but different return addresses from various states.  Most of them had single cheap to worthless sports cards in them (all less than $3 worth).  Some had nothing in them at all.  A few had item numbers written on different types of paper in the envelopes.  No contact information in any of them for my mom to call and ask questions as a phishing type of scam or anything.  Just multiple pieces of mail all from ebay, all same font, most had individual cheap sports cards in them and some with nothing in the envelope at all.  I figure it has to be some type of scam but for the life of me I can't figure out what since there is no way for my mom to call anyone to fall for any sort of scam.  And she doesn't even have an ebay account.  So what am I missing???  Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Is this a SCAM? If so, how???

Did they all have her name, or just her address?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

They all had her name and address.  And even though she doesn't even have an ebay account.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I got nothing.

At first I though maybe someone was trying to build up their sales numbers before selling a big ticket fake item. But then I saw they were from different addresses.

Are any of the senders actual sellers on ebay? If so, you could contact them and give a heads up.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

How about the scam mentioned before where a buyer in her zip code makes a purchase from an eBay seller.  Seller sends worthless item to a different address in same zip.  Buyer opens INR case.  eBay sees tracking proving delivery to someone in that zip.  Buyer is out of luck unless he can track this down and prove it was not delivered to him, which, from what I have read here, is a somewhat complicated operation.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

This was my thought also...the envelopes would have to contain tracking for this to be the case.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If these have legit item numbers then you could look them up on the Search option and see who's eBay ID and location comes up?  Maybe it will provide some additional clues where these came from.  If the item numbers are not legit, then I guess do a Google search and look up the addresses.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It may be a "brushing scam" where people use your mom's address, send her stuff using her info, and then write glowing feedback about themselves. You may want to reach out to eBay about it. Keep the packaging. The labels may have numbers on them they may need. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply