cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are sellers not required to honor bids?

Hey guys!  I’ve bought about 100 cards in the last month. Most of them were within 5% of recent comps. However, two of them I won at a considerably lower price than recent comps. Both sellers cancelled the sale. One claims he lost the card. The other tells eBay I cancelled when I absolutely did not. Is this common practice?  Is it safe to say that if one lucks up on a “deal”, the “deal” won’t happen?  The experience I’ve had on eBay takes the fun out of the hunt.  To top it off, I can’t seem to find a place to leave these guys negative feedback. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

No that is not right. the sellers should have honored the sale. You should file a complaint with ebay here.

https://www.ebay.com/help/sr?query=seller+did+not+honor+sale&origin=1

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Too often this happens when an auction win price is to good to be true. EBay won't try to make the seller ship. Best bet is to report the seller and move on to another seller.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

No; it's NOT ok but there REALLY is nothing can be done.

Just like it's NOT ok to do 100mph on the freeway; it's only NOT ok when a cop pulls them over. 

So; either know and deal with the fact that will happen or just look at 'buy it now' listings (you can choose at top of page once you input a search)

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Compliant filed. I’m not holding my breath that eBay will do anything. Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@smacards wrote:

Compliant filed. I’m not holding my breath that eBay will do anything. Thanks!

They WON'T do anything for you and they will NOT tell you what they did 'against' the seller. 

Really a waste of time. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Yep! You’re right. I’m not losing sleep over it but I’m beginning to realize that auction prices are not a guarantee and the system favors the seller. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The system may allow the seller to do stuff like cancel on the front end but the buyer is definitely in the driver's seat on the back end of the deal after an item is in the buyer's hand.

Posting ID
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I agree with you and I’m really not investing any effort in trying to get the cards from these two bad actors. However the “buyer canceled” excuse seems like an easy fix. If the seller claims I canceled, I should get a notification on my end that I either agree to or disagree with.  Makes sense to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Oh!  I see what you’re saying, I think. The bad buyers will claim they didn’t receive or something is wrong with it to get a refund?  That’s not cool either. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply