cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a Fisherman's Help

I'm looking to ID the type of fish that is mounted here.  Also, is there a special name for this unusual (to me at least) mounting style?  Thanks for your help.

FISH HEAD (3).JPGFISH HEAD (1).JPG

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Need a Fisherman's Help

Carp's head in a tourist place along the Danube in Bulgaria. carp (2).JPG

Message 16 of 55
latest reply

*carp* have to be some of the nastiest fish out there

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 17 of 55
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

I would be tempted to install a doorbell inside the mouth and triple the price.

Message 18 of 55
latest reply

Carp don't have teeth like that.

Message 19 of 55
latest reply

That is a very dried out large mouth bass, other than "ugly" I don't know what to call that type of mount.

Northern pike have a much more streamlined head with big razor sharp teeth.

Message 20 of 55
latest reply

Dang, that is one ugly azz fish, but hey, this is ebay, you can sell anything here.

I was thinking Pike, but I don't think they are that ugly.

My fish comes on a bun, and it is square, with tarter sauce.

Message 21 of 55
latest reply

I'm almost certain that it's a Walleye.

Message 22 of 55
latest reply

it's a Lingcod.

Message 23 of 55
latest reply

Hang some green slime out of its mouth and scare the kiddies with it on Halloween.  Then throw it away. 

Or put it on the top of your trash heap with its head facing up, and scare the bejeebers out of your sanitation workers.

Just a few thoughts...

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 24 of 55
latest reply

How long before that dam fish head stops appearing in my left column?

Walleye have rounded humps above their eyes - dam fine tasting fish, too.  

Whatever that is, it's been de-toothed.  Carp have teeth, pike have nasty teeth (and skinnier heads).

My grandmother used to take me to someone's carp-stocked pond - do you believe we actually paid to catch those things - we'd take our lawn chairs and rods and bread - carp will hit on anything - and it was so much fun.  The big ones put up good fights.  Of course we threw them back.

Been fishin' since I was a wee one ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 25 of 55
latest reply

Well that is a wierd mount,it actually isn't a mount so much as a freeze dried or dehydrated fish head, really hard to tell exactly what it is since it is so dried out...

That is not even a skin mount, which used to be very poplular, where the skin was cured,then placed on a foam shape  of the fish,and then painted...

But most taxidermists have gone to reproduction mounts,which is a mold of the real fish, then  cast in resin and fiberglass, then painted, this by the way allows anglers to  get a fish mount without killing the fish,as the taxidermy shop will have many molds of different size fish ,all you have to do is tell them the length and girth of the fish you want...Some still prefer a skin mount,as oppsed to a fiberglass mount, saying it is more realistic looking, but the fiberglass mount 20 years down the road will look 10 times better than even a  very good skin mount...I know way too much information,and I still haven't said what kind of fish I think it might be...

What I do know is that one from Europe is NOT a carp...carp do NOT have teeth per say,they have a very rubbery mouth,and lips...  Walleye do have visible teeth,and  Northern pike,and pickerel,even bigger nastier teeth, Muskie also have some serious teeth... Bass both smallmouth,and large mouth have teeth,but it is like a snook, they are very small fine teeth,and look and feel much like a very fine grade of sandpaper...

So after my long winded  dissertation what is it? I really have no idea ,and beleive it or not, I do know FISH!   So to sum it up, if I had to guess and it would only be a guess because of it's condition I would say it's a dehydrated FISH HEAD! Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 55
latest reply

Okay my real guess is SMALLMOUTH BASS...

Simply because of the mouth and teeth, I don't think the teeth have been knocked out  or  removed, if you look closely you will see the narrow band of very fine teeth,(sandpaper like)on the inside of the lips...

Message 27 of 55
latest reply

I'm looking to ID the type of fish that is mounted here

I'm almost certain it's a dead fish, with a WTH happened look on his face.

Message 28 of 55
latest reply

That's usually how they prepare piranha for whatever reason, I'm obviously not saying that's what this is but that's the type of preservation they use usually.

Message 29 of 55
latest reply

Some interesting discussion here:

European mount a fish head? - Taxidermy - CouesWhitetail.com ...

Apparently its a "European mount" but they also do it in Minnesota.
Message 30 of 55
latest reply