cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on How to Package a Large Tent For Shipping

I have a large tent for which I need to figure out a way to package for shipping by either UPS or FEDEX ground. It will be shipped entirely within the USA.  It will be shipped stowed in its regular canvas bag which when the tent is stowed, is a canvas cylinder 5 ½’ long, 18” in diameter and weighs 65 lbs. I have looked at UPS guidelines for irregularly shaped packages but they didn’t have the specifics I am looking for on exactly the best way to package it.

I am hoping that someone here has had experience shipping a similar item and can give me some pointers. My first inclination is to wrap the entire thing in a heavy duty shipping plastic but I am afraid that the adhesive on it might damage the canvas bag. Does anyone have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

How much is this worth? UPS or Fedex probably start near $200. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

How about putting it in a very large gym bag and shipping that way.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

My sugggestion when packaging large or weirdly shaped items is to essentially ,  "create" your own box from cardboard and then tape it up. I've done this by getting large boxes from local stores and then scoring them with a box knife to work into the shape I need. Using heavy packing tape helps.  Good luck! 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You can get very larger boxes at auto body repair shops. Fenders and bumpers arrive in them and they are only too glad to get rid of them.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It hasn't beed shipped YET?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yeah! It could cost a lot! But $200 is pretty high. Contact shipping companies for more info.

If you want more info reach me out at: https://www.sportforaction.com/

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

For Big Items like this I go to my local golf Pro Shop and get boxes they are tossing all the time and pack items that are LONGER than 45" (like a driver) and wide like a golf Bag. They save boxes for members and other shops toss daily and I go gather them up! 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If you want a very large heavy duty box go to any auto body shop, fenders and bumpers arrive in these boxes and the shops are only too glad to get rid of them.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply