cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping

I'm shipping a post card in a 6 in x 9 in bubble mailer that weighs 2 oz. Why is ebay charging me 3.42 for first class shipping.  Guess I'll go to the P.O. and ship that way having them calculate shipping.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: shipping

Maybe the post about eBay's standard envelope rate wasn't clear.  It's not a physical envelope, it's a postage rate which is available in selected categories. You use your own envelope (there are specific maximum dimensions and other criteria), then purchase a postage label through eBay just like purchasing any other label.  If you didn't see this option when you originally started the label purchase process, then probably it isn't available in the category that our item was listed in, so this wasn't a missed opportunity.

$4.65 is the retail postage cost for a First Class package up to 4 ounces, going to Zone 4.  As you noted in your original post, the equivalent eBay label would have cost $3.42.  Apparently the clerk at your PO decided that your envelope wasn't eligible to be mailed as a letter or a flat. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

That sounds right.  eBay allows purchase of first class with tracking, which costs more.  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

At the PO that will cost you even more.  The thickness of the bubble mailer requires First Class Package rate.  The eBay shipping is usually less expensive.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If you want tracking, that is what it will cost. 

Alternately if it is a very inexpensive item, you can mail it with stamps in a flat (non-bubble) envelope, but there won't be tracking. If it's 2 ounces, it will be 78 cents to mail it, if it's 3 ounces it will be 98 cents to mail it as long as it is less than 1/4 inch thick. Someone can say they didn't receive it if you don't add tracking, but many use this method for inexpensive items.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

eBay has the standard envelope that you should be able to  ship it cheaper, with tracking You just won't be able to use a padded envelope. You need a paper board envelope. They sell them in the eBay shipping supplies, but the sellers have them, and I'm sure you can buy them locally.

Here's the link for how it works:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-standard-envelope.html

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

eBay only supports methods with tracking.  A First Class package to zone 4 is $3.42 through eBay, and $4.65 at the PO.  Go ahead and cancel the label and pay more at the PO if that's what you want to do.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@virgo3056 wrote:

I'm shipping a post card in a 6 in x 9 in bubble mailer that weighs 2 oz. Why is ebay charging me 3.42 for first class shipping.  Guess I'll go to the P.O. and ship that way having them calculate shipping.

@virgo3056,

Because a bubble mailer is more than 1/4 inch thick, so it has to be mailed as a package. That sounds right for a First Class Package, with the eBay discount on shipping.

First Class Envelopes have to be less than 1/4 inch thick, and because you can't get tracking on an envelope, these labels aren't available to purchase through eBay shipping. Except for eBay Standard Envelope, which should be an option for you, if you listed the card in the postcard main category.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

If it's flexible, it can be mailed as a flat (AKA Large envelope) since the thickness limit for flats is 3/4 inch.  If it's mailed in a regular envelope with cardboard for protection instead of bubble envelope, it could probably go as a letter for even less.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the info. Where can I buy a standard envelope. I ended up paying $4.65 for first class shipping at P.O. ...  didn't make any profit on this post card. My fault...

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Maybe the post about eBay's standard envelope rate wasn't clear.  It's not a physical envelope, it's a postage rate which is available in selected categories. You use your own envelope (there are specific maximum dimensions and other criteria), then purchase a postage label through eBay just like purchasing any other label.  If you didn't see this option when you originally started the label purchase process, then probably it isn't available in the category that our item was listed in, so this wasn't a missed opportunity.

$4.65 is the retail postage cost for a First Class package up to 4 ounces, going to Zone 4.  As you noted in your original post, the equivalent eBay label would have cost $3.42.  Apparently the clerk at your PO decided that your envelope wasn't eligible to be mailed as a letter or a flat. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for your advice.  I usually only mail books/magazines... had no clue about mailing post cards.  I'm feeling silly thinking the standard envelope was available for purchasing...oh my god I need help..lol

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Come here with any question, any time.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply