cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid postage void out scam - eBay sends seller dings, buyer doorbell rings

So buyers and sellers, here's a new one for you most have probably never heard of.  This is another fine example of the incompetence here at eBay, the failures of the eBay "system" and user tools, and the potentially useless assurances of eBay customer service.

Three weeks ago a brand new account (purchase was made the day the account was created) bought a pre-packed item I had listed.  It was BIN.  I printed the shipping label, and as I was about to head out for postal drop-off, I realized the package was a "PM Flat rate" box, something I had earlier been remiss of (I normally make all my own boxes or otherwise use a PM box, but only occasionally a FR box).

So,  knowing the PM FR box has it's own bar rate code, I discarded the eBay printed label and went to the PO and paid out of pocket at the counter, for Medium FR domestic.   I next requested from eBay, to void out the shipping label and receive a eBay refund in the amount I paid for the label. 

Turns out, the request was never processed nor completed.  This was sent the same afternoon as the package was mailed, Mar. 5.  Still, no refund.  ....But I get a defect in my seller performance, for having "tracking uploaded but not validated".   This is completely unwarranted, and I told CS this in my call today.

Points to ponder:

1.  eBaY immediately sends a message response when the void-out request in sent, stating a 72 hour hold is placed on the printed label, and if not scanned by then, the refund process shall begin and the label voided.  Never happened. 

2.  eBay does NOT offer a user tool (that I ever saw), allowing the seller to upload the receipt tracking number for the postage paid for at the P.O. - be it before OR after that 72 hour hold period expires.  In fact, there is no user tool whatsoever for a seller to upload a 2nd tracking number, in the voiding out of the first and cancellation of the printed label.

3.  The USPS will, at times, let a prepaid label 'slide by' on a a unscanned Flat Rate box, but that can result in the buyer being told to pay the difference in order for their package to be delivered.  It has happened.  They go up to your door, and request a payment because the original postage was not enough, and a subsequent scan reveals postage still owed.  This can - and has, happened.  I don't want my buyers facing that.

4.  I repeatedly hear this excuse from eBay CS, that there is "defect department" is receiving requests - it can be reached, but that they are working "offline".  Does this really mean they aren't working at all?

How is anyone BUT eBay in the wrong here - and why the heck do I have a defect in my seller performance and NO refund for a label I never used on the package?  I even emailed the correct tracking number to this buyer.  NO INR, no buyer complaints....the package must have been received.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Revision of my above post for you @password9019:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

eBay does provide a way for a seller to upload a second (third, fourth, and fifth) tracking number. From your orders page, find the transaction and click EDIT next to the tracking number. On the next page you can enter a second tracking number.

edittracking.png

You can still add the second tracking number today. It will cause a mark on your late shipment metric, but it should protect you if there's an INR filed later.

The label void process generally takes approx 2-4 weeks for the credit to appear on your account. It will be credited back to your original form of payment (bank, credit card, etc) and you will not receive a confirmation from eBay. USPS will just deposit the funds into your account.

If there's a defect on your account it means eBay automatic bots stepped in and forced the refund because you didn't handle the situation.

Your situation was preventable by adding the second tracking number to the transaction. Sorry you ran into an opportunistic scammer on this one.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

eBay does provide a way for a seller to upload a second (third, fourth, and fifth) tracking number. From your orders page, find the transaction and click EDIT next to the tracking number. On the next page you can enter a second tracking number.

edittracking.png

The label void process generally takes approx 2-4 weeks for the credit to appear on your account. It will be credited back to your original form of payment (bank, credit card, etc) and you will not receive a confirmation from eBay. USPS will just deposit the funds into your account.

If there's a defect on your account it means eBay automatic bots stepped in and forced the refund because you didn't handle the situation.

Your situation was preventable by adding the second tracking number to the transaction. Sorry you ran into an opportunistic scammer on this one.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Sorry you ran into an opportunistic scammer on this one.

I don't see anything in the OPs post about any scammer? The refund being talked about is from the post office not buyer. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

How is anyone BUT eBay in the wrong here

Well, let's see.  You packed a flat rate box but printed a different label.  That is on you.  Then you didn't upload the second tracking number.  Also on you.  So I think you are as much or more to blame as eBay.  But I expect you will eventually get refunded for the unused label.  As wastingtime101 said, it takes several weeks.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

Sorry you ran into an opportunistic scammer on this one.

I don't see anything in the OPs post about any scammer? The refund being talked about is from the post office not buyer. 

Yep, you're right! I totally missed the last line of that lengthy post. Sounds like the OP lucked out that no INR was filed. They should add the tracking to the transaction now even though it will give them a late shipment mark.

GLORIOUS!

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Revision of my above post for you @password9019:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

edittracking.png

You can still add the second tracking number today. It will cause a mark on your late shipment metric, but it should protect you if there's an INR filed later.

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:

How is anyone BUT eBay in the wrong here - and why the heck do I have a defect in my seller performance and NO refund for a label I never used on the package?  I even emailed the correct tracking number to this buyer.  NO INR, no buyer complaints....the package must have been received.

Because you have to add the new label with the proper tracking to the eBay transaction. I had a similar situation happen to me a couple of months back-- I accidentally purchased a label for the wrong class of mail. I voided it immediately, bought the new label, and then added the correct number to the transaction and emailed the buyer to explain why they had received emails with two different tracking numbers. Zero defects, zero dings.

How do you expect eBay to know you shipped the item when all they have is a tracking number showing that the item was never even put into the mail stream? The refund from USPS will take 2-3 weeks to process, so it will probably clear soon.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

You made a mistake, did not make sure the mistake was corrected and you are mad at eBay-why?   

And if you want to speak to someone go to Facebook and send a message.  They reply pretty quickly and one or two of them might even know the actual answer.   maybe.  

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:

How is anyone BUT eBay in the wrong here

You bought the wrong label for the box you used.
You failed to upload the new tracking number.
Now you have a defect?

And it's all Ebays fault?

It takes 3 or 4 weeks to receive the refund from USPS.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

there wasn't anywhere to "add" (you really mean upload*), the tracking number.  That type of user tool in this situation, did not show anywhere on my screen, and I clicked on everything I could see, everything I could find related to the transaction.  Logic would tell me that the first label would have to be voided out, because until that happens the tracking number automatically uploaded at time of label purchase (and which cannot be removed any end user/member) will remain as THE number the buyer sees.

You're saying you "added" the correct number and voided out a purchased label "immediately".  How does that work?  What was the sequence of events there?  You must have super powers on your eBay display, because there was no way I was able to do any of that unilaterally, myself.  Immediate void out?  Never heard of it.  All I could do - and as I explained - was to *request* eBay void it out.  That was the only option I had displayed.

lol You must be one of those  'big sellers', getting special displays, special eBay privileges, and subscriber perks and options....I don't have that...I am a 'little person' on here.

I don't think

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

according to e Bay CS, I made NO mistake at all.  But thanks for your opinion.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

It is eBay's fault, yes!  When the seller has to request eBay to take an action it did not take  within the "three business days" it was said to me it would, knowing that THAT was the only way to clear a path for a new tracking nunmber - yeah, that's on eBay.  Not my mistake.  Good grief, you people just don't get it....but it's understandable (I guess) ....you cannot see what I see, you're not sharing my computer screen.

Let me be clear:  THERE WAS NO WAY TO UPLOAD A SECOND TRACKING NUMBER...THE FIRST ONE WAS ALREADY SHOWING, AND I HAD NO WAY TO GET RID OF IT MYSELF.  THE TOOLS ON MY END WERE NOT DISPLAYING A WAY TO DO SO.....BECAUSE THE USER TOOLS/CLICKS/LINKS/WHATEVER.... DID NOT EXIST.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Well guess what...what you're showing me (although true, I guess), is still more or less what I call "Incognito **bleep**".  That is what it appears to me like,  because the average seller (been doing this ten years myself, over 1000 sales transactions) wouldn't catch onto that very quickly -  if at all.  Oh look!!, a tiny little "_edit" link.

What a joke.  How about a actual message?  How about eBay actually communicate at the time of my submitted request?  How about a prompt?  How about SOMETHING showing up to tell me, the user, that a void is pending and 'to add the correct tracking number - DO THIS'...?????

What a joke this is.   I am done on this topic.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

How about bigger letters or a message upon my request, saying like:  "TO add the tracking number actually sent in transit, click here:"

Oh no, you get the word "edit" in underscore and tiny font.

This is another example of eBay not doing it's own homework - and doing nothing - absolutely nothing, to make this landscape more user friendly.

Keep diverting millions of OUR money overseas, eBay.  I know.....Gotta follow GS's commands. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@password9019 wrote:

It is eBay's fault, yes!  When the seller has to request eBay to take an action it did not take  within the "three business days" it was said to me it would, knowing that THAT was the only way to clear a path for a new tracking nunmber - yeah, that's on eBay.  Not my mistake.  Good grief, you people just don't get it....but it's understandable (I guess) ....you cannot see what I see, you're not sharing my computer screen.

Let me be clear:  THERE WAS NO WAY TO UPLOAD A SECOND TRACKING NUMBER...THE FIRST ONE WAS ALREADY SHOWING, AND I HAD NO WAY TO GET RID OF IT MYSELF.  THE TOOLS ON MY END WERE NOT DISPLAYING A WAY TO DO SO.....BECAUSE THE USER TOOLS/CLICKS/LINKS/WHATEVER.... DID NOT EXIST.

Under the tracking number, you don't have an edit button like everyone else does?

Click edit and enter the new tracking number.

You can't remove the original tracking number, but you can add another one.

ScreenShot.jpg

Have a great day
Message 15 of 17
latest reply