cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping cost for a vinyl record

Being new to selling I;'m curious about something. I have some rather rare records i want to sell and the first one i want to put up i looked up on ebay and found a few people selling the same one. But the shipping they ask is nothing compared to what i found. I did a calculations on the USPS, fedex and UPS sites and for the smallest box i can fit it into the lowest cost i could find was over $12. This was for a box a inch over the size of the record and 4" deep to accomodate packing material. There are people selling the album for amounts that with that shipping cost plus all fees would net them next to nothing or nothing at all. How are these people shipping so cheap? these are not big sellers but idividuals like me selling off thier own record from the look of it. Is there something i need to know about getting things shipped cheaper?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: shipping cost for a vinyl record

That is a GREAT suggestion !  I feel stupid for not thinking of it myself, tho like the next post suggests i won't use duct tape but packing tape. But great suggestion. Heck, that may make selling even the low value records worth selling. Thanks.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

They are probably shipping via Media Mail, which costs $2.63 for 1 pound and $3.12 for 2 pounds (regardless of package dimensions or buyer's location).  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

You are talking about using a 14" x 14" x 4" box to mail one LP record. Not needed, you can buy quality LP mailers (here on eBay) made specifically for mailing 1 to 4 LPs, for about .50 apiece in bulk, and they will ship media mail for ~2-4$ per LP depending on weight. I usually use small bubble wrap on both sides of the LP (but not wrapped around) for extra padding. Also, suggest each LP be in a poly sleeve, and a lot of high end record collectors prefer the disc in its paper inner sleeve be OUTSIDE the LP cover but INSIDE the poly sleeve; this keeps the disc from splitting the spine of the LP cover during shipping.  Good luck!

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Ahh, thanks all. Can i get those mailers locally like USPS or elsewhere?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

To my knowledge USPS does not carry one that size; just do a search on eBay for 'LP Mailer" and browse.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I did, but the problem is while i have a lot of LP's, i'm finding only one or 2 are worth selling so i don't need to buy a lot of them which of course is theonly way to get them on ebay. I figure media mail will likely be cheap even if i cut the box down to the same size. It'll only be a few extra ounces.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I buy and sell records. LISTEN to the packing instructions that were posted. Get record mailers especially if you have collector type vinyl. It will pay in the end.

Bar that there is an old standby. NEW, UNUSED !!!!! pizza boxes, with bubble wrap and cardboard to make up the thickness to keep the record from moving and shifting back and forth. Do not use peanuts. Frankly, in all these years I have just received my first record order where peanuts were used. Vinyl + styrofoam = an unbelievable amount of static. Had a heck of a time getting the styrofoam off the 45's I bought. My cat walked by and was even attacked, she killed the bad peanut. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Got some cardboard laying around? Just cut some pieces to the right size, use bubble wrap on each side, and ductape all around the edges. Simple, and the records shouldn't slide all around. If you need some cardboard, just go to wal-mart and get a large display board for less than $3 and cut it up.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@nova7000 wrote:
Got some cardboard laying around? Just cut some pieces to the right size, use bubble wrap on each side, and ductape all around the edges. Simple, and the records shouldn't slide all around. If you need some cardboard, just go to wal-mart and get a large display board for less than $3 and cut it up.

NEVER!!!! use duct tape to close a shipping box and NEVER EVER!!!!! use it around records. 

The nature of duct tape can cause it to stick in hot conditions to other packages and gum up rollers on conveyer belts in sorting machines. Duct tape glue can get on the tracks of a record, it is near to impossible to remove without damage. If the record is tried it can also ruin the needle.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

That is a GREAT suggestion !  I feel stupid for not thinking of it myself, tho like the next post suggests i won't use duct tape but packing tape. But great suggestion. Heck, that may make selling even the low value records worth selling. Thanks.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

There's no way it could ever get on the records so calm down already! If you so worried use packing tape or whatever. Geez! lol

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@nova7000 wrote:

There's no way it could ever get on the records so calm down already! If you so worried use packing tape or whatever. Geez! lol

Actually, it has. Luckily it was a lot of low-quality albums for crafting. Big time names but not of a quality to resell for play for the most part, so really not that expensive. The guy strapped loose sheet cardboard around some that were missing their covers. 3 came into contact with the duct tape along the edge. These were actually in great shape but missing covers, I was only able to salvage one which is still here on my desk. I use it to test turntables when I buy them at local auctions. Queen News of the World.  LOST a Abby Road, well not totally lost, it is now a clock.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

re: placing paper sleeve outside album but tucked in poly sleeve.....But............

I am selling a couple of classical Box Sets, manufactured 1973, NEW, UNOPENED, containing multiple albums and program/score book. It seems crazy to open the poly seal now especially when i want to offer as UNOPENED.  What to do?? also, do these album mailers through ebay hold a box? thank you!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@framedame8 wrote:

re: placing paper sleeve outside album but tucked in poly sleeve.....But............

I am selling a couple of classical Box Sets, manufactured 1973, NEW, UNOPENED, containing multiple albums and program/score book. It seems crazy to open the poly seal now especially when i want to offer as UNOPENED.  What to do?? also, do these album mailers through ebay hold a box? thank you!

If they are still in their shrink wrap they should hold tight enough not to shift and cause edge separation. 

There are different record mailers. Some have bend places to accommodate a stack of records or box set. I look for these and save the ones shipped to me. Like these https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-165/Easy-Fold-Mailers/11-1-8-x-8-5-8-x-2-Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mail...

Message 15 of 17
latest reply