cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller penalized for buyer's bad address

I've been on eBay long enough to know that one of the golden rules is "only ship to the address provided by eBay". So a customer purchased an item from me and had it shipped to him in France. For the items I sell, shipping can range from $11.66 - $16.72 to ship depending on what and where, so I charge a flat rate $14 which evens out IMO. Anyway...

I got a package back yesterday from that buyer in France, and it states that his address is incorrect / "illegible" on the sticker. Not sure how it's illegible because I print all my labels directly from eBay/PayPal and don't handwrite ANYTHING just for that reason. Anyway...

eBay tells me that I need to refund his entire cost back to him. The item cost AND the shipping cost. Why should I end up losing $13 on shipping because HIS address is wrong on his account? HOW is that MY fault?? This is just getting stupid now the way eBay follows "the buyer is always right".

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: seller penalized for buyer's bad address

@jokabofe wrote:

I got a package back yesterday from that buyer in France, and it states that his address is incorrect / "illegible" on the sticker. 

You say you got the package back from the buyer. How did the buyer even receive the package to send back if his address was wrong?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

When you get the item back appeal and hope that it takes less than 30 days to get it back.

...good luck with that

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

You don't have to refund anything actually. Did you call ebay or something? If so, they lied. 

You can refund the item price only if you are willing to forfeit the FVF fee. If you aren't willing, you have to refund in full. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

You say you got the package back from the buyer. How did the buyer even receive the package to send back if his address was wrong?

It came back undelivered.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@jokabofe wrote:

@pburn wrote:

It came back undelivered.

Then you are fine.  Notify your buyer via an email inside of Ebay that the item came back as the address they have gave was incorrect and therefore undeliverable.

Now something to know.  The Ebay and PP addresses usually are the same, but just is case there ever is a difference ALWAYS use the address on the PP payment.

While the rule on Ebay says you are covered under seller protection if you ship to the address in Ebay OR on the PP payment.  PP is not that generous.  To comply with the seller protection on PP, you MUST ship to the address on the PP payment notification.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 6
latest reply