cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paypal return fees sept 2019 update IN PLAIN ENGLISH?

got the automated email I usually don't pay too much attention to these things usually it's USPS raises their rates quite a bit ever year but what you gonna do?

anyway I'm confused about this new 'paypal will no longer refund fees to sellers"

so if I sell something for $100, paypal takes the 30 cents per transaction and %2.9 of the $100 which is $2.90 and $0.30.

But now, if the buyer returns something even for buyers remorse and there was nothing wrong with the item, the buyer doesn't get the full $100 back? Paypal keeps the %2.9 $2.90?

what if you cancel the transaction in ebay after a partial refund or something, doesn't that fully refund everything?

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: paypal return fees sept 2019 update IN PLAIN ENGLISH?

Change your return policy to mention the Paypal change and that their 3% fee will not refunded if any item is returned. Also add that if bidders do not agree with your return policy they should not bid. Sometimes I sell items over a $1,000 and I am not about to go in the hole further with free shipping, insurance and now 3% because of buyer remorse.

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

Change your return policy to mention the Paypal change and that their 3% fee will not refunded if any item is returned. Also add that if bidders do not agree with your return policy they should not bid. Sometimes I sell items over a $1,000 and I am not about to go in the hole further with free shipping, insurance and now 3% because of buyer remorse.

How are you going to accomplish that?  I thought the option to give partial returns disappeared some time ago, unless one has Free Returns?  Then isn't the partial refund only suppose to be used for damage to items?

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@ce-9809 wrote:

This is a community board and posters here are all members like you. No one is an eBay employee and they only respond when paged.

Its called sarcasm - a highly effective and very old form of humor.

That makes at least three points you've missed.

Perhaps an explanation is needed as you seemed to have missed out on a good joke.

Your supposed answer is the equivalent of what to expect of eBay customer service.

Understand now?

It appears you did not read any of the information on that link.

By shear coincidence that is the same web page I quoted from when eBay customer service tried to say cash was

not an accepted form of payment for pickups. Any long time seller on eBay knows that yet eBay customer service claims not to know it. God help the new eBay sellers who actually believe anything eBay customer service says.

Frequently Asked Questions

I often have buyers pick up items from my store. Can they pay in cash?

Yes, payment in cash is allowed for payment on pickup, or cash on delivery sales. However, cash isn't a generally accepted payment method on eBay, and cash payments can never be sent through the post.

No need to to insert that meaningless note.

No, instead you check a small indicating cash on pickup and then indicate in the listing:

Pickup Only

Payment on Pickup Only

Of course you wouldn't do this each time - you'd make a template in an application like GarageSale so you only need to do it one time.

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 12.25.22 PM.png

Please explain how eBay is going to force anyone to accept PayPal from the customer upon pickup?

Is eBay planning to show up at the seller's home with a credit card reader and somehow force them to use it.

Interesting pile of disinformation you've used there. As helpful as eBay customer service.

@Anonymous 

brian@ebay 

Could one of you explain whether a seller can refuse PayPal for a local pick-up listing? Again.

Thanks.

Hi @ce-9809 & @pburn, all sellers must have an approved electronic payment method on their listings. If the seller is not in managed payments, then they will have to accept PayPal. This is true for pickup transactions as well. While payment upon pickup is an option sellers can offer, they cannot force buyers to pay in this way. Making statements in a listing such as, " Payment on Pickup Only" is not in line with our Accepted Payments Policy. If a buyer chooses to pay via PayPal or managed payments then the seller must accept this payment as it is a valid a required option for buyers on local pickup transactions.

pay on pickup.JPG

Brian,
Community Team
Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Thanks, brian@ebay, for clarifying eBay's policy again! I'm sure both @ce-9809 and @no_zero369 will appreciate your response.

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

@ce-9809 wrote:

You should never accept PayPal for a pickup item unless you want to get ripped off.

You have no proof the item was picked up.

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 1.07.58 PM.png

Listen to eBay and PayPal customer service and fanboys at your own risk!

Hi @ce-9809, I just want to clarify that from what I've found on PayPal's help pages that they do not cover buyers Item Not Received cases if the item was picked up in person.This means that buyers who pick up an item in person will not be covered under PayPal Purchase Protection if they claim they did not receive the item. You can view more details about their Purchase Protection here.

PayPal Purchase Protection - INR.JPG

Brian,
Community Team
Message 35 of 45
latest reply

Hi @ce-9809 & @pburn, all sellers must have an approved electronic payment method on their listings. If the seller is not in managed payments, then they will have to accept PayPal. This is true for pickup transactions as well. While payment upon pickup is an option sellers can offer, they cannot force buyers to pay in this way. Making statements in a listing such as, " Payment on Pickup Only" is not in line with our Accepted Payments Policy. If a buyer chooses to pay via PayPal or managed payments then the seller must accept this payment as it is a valid a required option for buyers on local pickup transactions.

PayPal payments for pickups ARE NOT COVERED BY PAYPAL's SELLER PROTECTION.

You are thus trying to force eBay sellers to accept a UNSAFE PAYMENT METHOD!

Making statements in a listing such as, " Payment on Pickup Only" is not in line with our Accepted Payments Policy.

No its NOT!

PayPal can be accepted at any point of purchase.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/point-of-sale-systems 

I just don't happen to offer POS because its unsafe form of payment, thus the only option left for pickups is cash.

So stating "payment upon pickup" DOES NOT VIOLATE ANY POLICY!

Or does eBay now plan to force all sellers to use PayPal card readers?

This requires a court injunction and class action lawsuit by state attorney generals.

You've already earned additional complaints with the FTC and my Senator who is well known for investigations of corrupt practices.

eBay is not a law onto itself! eBay has been given the privilege of selling in this state, which can be restricted and / or be revoked when the citizens of that state decide.

In the mean time I will sell off Facebook and consignment store.

Same items listed on Facebook and eBay:

$600 Facebook Sales - No Fees, Buyer Pickups, Massive Item View Counts Verses eBay. A party traveling on vacation through our state just picked up a item at 10:48am (that breaks the previous one way pickup of 76 miles). I also offer shipping via Pirateship and payments via Zelle which unlike PayPal can't be reversed and they are free.

$40 eBay Pickup + $54 Ship Item - FVF on Item & Shipping + PayPal Fees on Item & Shipping. A long dying venue!

Just One Consignment Store - Drop items off and for 25% to 30% they store , display and complete the sale. Last month $141 after commissions (previous month $214). I have other stores in a two-state area (roughly 120 mile radius except for one tourist location in the Western part of the state).

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

1. Such payments ARE NOT COVERED BY PAYPAL's SELLER PROTECTION!

You are trying to force sellers to accept a unsafe form of payment!

2. Buyers are free to make a claim with their credit card company which is completely separate from PayPal.

3. There are various other means in which the buyer can make a claim - just make anything up to have it rubber stamped by eBay and PayPal.

Reminds me of the time some buyers cancelled their PayPal payment after getting their tracking number. Fortunately they were not too smart as they did not wait until they actually got their item. I was able to have UPS and USPS retrieve it from their system and send it back to me, which they not charge for at the time. PayPal & eBay responded that is was not technically possible.

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

I don't appreciate misinformation.

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

Hi @ce-9809 & @pburn, all sellers must have an approved electronic payment method on their listings. If the seller is not in managed payments, then they will have to accept PayPal. This is true for pickup transactions as well. While payment upon pickup is an option sellers can offer, they cannot force buyers to pay in this way. Making statements in a listing such as, " Payment on Pickup Only" is not in line with our Accepted Payments Policy. If a buyer chooses to pay via PayPal or managed payments then the seller must accept this payment as it is a valid a required option for buyers on local pickup transactions.

PayPal payments for pickups ARE NOT COVERED BY PAYPAL's SELLER PROTECTION.

You are thus trying to force eBay sellers accept a UNSAFE PAYMENT METHOD!

Making statements in a listing such as, " Payment on Pickup Only" is not in line with our Accepted Payments Policy.

No its NOT!

But I don't offer POS because its unsafe form of payment, thus the only option left for pickups is cash.

Or do you now plan for force all people to use PayPal card readers?

This requires a court injunction and class action lawsuit by state attorney generals.

You've already earned additional complaints with the FTC and my Senator who is well known for investigations of corrupt practices. eBay is not a law onto itself! eBay has been given the privilege of selling in this state, which can be restricted and / or revoked when the citizens of that state decide.

In the mean time I will sell off Facebook and consignment store.

Same items listed on Facebook and eBay:

$600 Facebook Sales - No Fees, Buyer Pickups, Massive Item View Counts Verses eBay. A party traveling on vacation through our state just picked up a item at 10:48am. I also offer shipping via Pirateship and payments via Zelle which unlike PayPal can't be reversed and they are free.

Just One Consigment Store - Drop items off and for 25% to 30% they store , display and complete the sale. Last month $141 (previous month $214). There are other stores in a two-state area.

$40 eBay Pickup + $54 Ship Item - FVF on Item & Shipping + PayPal Fees on Item & Shipping. A long dying venue!

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

Making statements in a listing such as, " Payment on Pickup Only" is not in line with our Accepted Payments Policy.

No its NOT!

But I just don't happen to offer POS because its unsafe form of payment, its cost and because this is not a retail store.

Thus the only option left for pickups is cash.

Or does eBay now plan for force all sellers who offer pickups to use PayPal card readers?

Message 40 of 45
latest reply

@ce-9809 wrote:

No its NOT!

But I just don't happen to offer POS because its unsafe form of payment, its cost and because this is not a retail store.

Thus the only option left for pickups is cash.

Or does eBay now plan for force all sellers who offer pickups to use PayPal card readers?

Hi @ce-9809, it sounds like there may be some confusion here. POS / card readers are not supported on eBay's website and as such are not an option. Buyers can pay via PayPal through eBay checkout just as they do any other transaction; a card reader is not needed to accomplish this. They can pay through eBay checkout prior to picking up the item, or they can pay through eBay checkout in the eBay app or on a browser using a mobile device upon pickup. They can also pay with cash upon pickup. 

We require that either PayPal or managed payments be an option for buyers to pay with on local pickup transactions to ensure they have access to the eBay Money Back Guarantee. While buyers can choose to pay with cash, it cannot be required of them. They must have the option to pay through eBay checkout for their purchase.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 41 of 45
latest reply

Hi @ce-9809, it sounds like there may be some confusion here. POS / card readers are not supported on eBay's website and as such are not an option. Buyers can pay via PayPal through eBay checkout just as they do any other transaction; a card reader is not needed to accomplish this. They can pay through eBay checkout prior to picking up the item, or they can pay through eBay checkout in the eBay app or on a browser using a mobile device upon pickup. They can also pay with cash upon pickup. 

We require that either PayPal or managed payments be an option for buyers to pay with on local pickup transactions to ensure they have access to the eBay Money Back Guarantee. While buyers can choose to pay with cash, it cannot be required of them. They must have the option to pay through eBay checkout for their purchase.

Such PayPal payments are not covered by PayPal's Seller Protection.

You Can't Force a Seller to Accept a Unsafe Form of Payment!

I guess like the Trump's UPU decision eBay will once again have to be told what it can and can't do because it thinks its a law unto itself!

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

That does not cover a whole host of other claims the buyer could falsely make - buyer's remorse, the item is not working, the item was modified by the buyer, the buyer improperly used the item, and the list goes on.

And based upon the large number of consumer complaints eBay and PayPal's TOS are meaningless as they routinely lie and break their own TOS.

Any such buyers are free to pay for their item via PayPal on their phone when they arrive.

I have a legal right to verify the identify of the buyer and reject any such PayPal payment I find suspicious.

The first thing that is suspicious is that the payment is not covered by PayPal Seller Protection.

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

@yeshy_us wrote:

So in other words, if for example that $100 item, paypal refunds the buyer the complete $100, and the $2.90 (%2.9 Paypal fee plus 30 cents) I have to pay out of pocket? What if I have $0 in paypal?

I guess yea it's not that bad looking at it now, I don't sell things often over about $100 so a rare $3 loss is no big deal.

But it seems gross if what someone has to pay out of pocket for (if true) the amount all depends on the price of the item, as if it's any easier for their system to process a refund for $1 vs $1,000.

Check your Seller Dashboard ... if your return rate is less then 0.50 I wouldn't worry about it BUT, you do need to keep some cash in PayPal just in case ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 44 of 45
latest reply

"The first thing that is suspicious is that the payment is not covered by PayPal Seller Protection."
It's not suspicious. It's to protect eBay and/or PayPal from any suspicious or fraudulent transactions (pick-up only type) conspired between a "Buyer" and a "Seller".
If the item was shipped by a shipping carrier with trackable and delivery confirmation, then there would be at least a third-party evidence of shipping and delivery.

Message 45 of 45
latest reply