cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to select USPS first class shipping?

I'm just starting and using the basic form to sell right now.  I found how to show and selects from all the shipping services, but it doesn't show USPOS first class. Why is this and is there a way to select first class mail.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: how to select USPS first class shipping?

First, you have to enter a weight that is 16  ounces or less.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Oh, so you can't send first class unless it;s under a pound? Is that a USPS rule or ebay?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

That's USPS's limit, and it only applies online. If you mail retail (at the Post Office counter), the limit is 13 ounces.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Wow, thats a drag. I could swear i've sent things at the post office first class that were more. I've probably sent 50 boxes first class over the years and never was I told any of them weighed too much. I suppose none did i guess, but i cant imagine not one of those was more than a Lb.Maybe this is a recent change USPS made. One more question....assuming it is over 16 oz and i want to send it the cheapest way possible, what would that be called?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

You can mail an item if it weighs 15.9 ounces. Priority Mail Flat rate envelope, not the padded ones is a good choice.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@dazco wrote:

Wow, thats a drag. I could swear i've sent things at the post office first class that were more. I've probably sent 50 boxes first class over the years and never was I told any of them weighed too much. I suppose none did i guess, but i cant imagine not one of those was more than a Lb.Maybe this is a recent change USPS made. One more question....assuming it is over 16 oz and i want to send it the cheapest way possible, what would that be called?

@dazco It's not a recent change. First class has always been for lightweight items. 13oz is the maximum if paying at the counter and it has been for quite a few years. The only recent change is that the maximum is now 15.99oz if you purchase postage online. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I just would never have guessed that nothing i've ever mailed FC was over 13 oz (i always go to the post office) but i guess thats the case. No matter anyways on this one, as i weighed it with all the packing and it;s less than 13oz.

Anyways, whats the cheapest way if it IS over the max without using priority? I think when i started filling out the ad i saw something like "usps ground' or something like that. Or is anything over first class max weight going to end up costing as much or more than priority anyways? Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

For packages up to 18 pounds, the online price for Priority Mail is the same as for Parcel Select (formerly known as Parcel Post), or just 5 cents more.  The only exception is if your package is over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) and shipping to Zones 5 - 9; then Priority Mail has a "dimensional weight" so it makes sense to offer both services so buyers can choose.

USPS First Class Mail has never been available for over 1 pound, and until January 2016 the online limit was 13 ounces, too.

Here's a link to the official USPS rates publication, Notice 123.
http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 9 of 9
latest reply