cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to handle bad address

Hello!

So i made a sale recently and i went to print the label today and i was locked out by a screen asking me to change the address. the problem was that the address was 36 characters long and only addresses with up to 35 characters (apparently) are supported. So i messaged the purchaser telling them that i would have to cancel the order and have them reorder it with a shorter address and  that he should message me back when he was ready to do this. I haven't gotten a message back yet. So I'm wondering what do i do if I don't get a message before my deadline to ship? Do I just cancel the order? Also, did I handle the address problem in the correct way? How would you have done it? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: how to handle bad address

Can you edit the address and drop some of the information down to the second line?

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Can't you just delete a space?

Ex: Maple Drive change to MapleDrive

Or is there a word you can shorten without altering the address?

Ex: Maple Drive change to Maple Dr

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

i feel stupid, is that what address line 2 is for? 😛

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@i_sell_good_things 

The buyer's address form has additional lines for longer addresses.

Or -- you can cancel the order, using as an excuse "problem with the buyer's address."

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The postal code/zipcode is the most important part of the address.

After the parcel gets to the zipcode, human eyes are reading the address and sorting by postal walk.

@wastingtime101  is thinking outside the box with a smart answer.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@i_sell_good_things 

"is that what address line 2 is for?"

Yup. 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Just 'reformat' the address a little bit.....don't alter anything, just use 'copy & paste'

OR 

you can "alter" or use abbreviations for Street, Drive, Court, etc....

@wastingtime101  knows most of the shipping tricks

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

thanks for the help, i moved the suite number from address line 1 to 2.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

As I always do, I use a pen and my hand to write the address...

Some Chinese buyers only have their address in Chinese...I do send an email for their address in English and sometimes get it.

So when I have a Chinese buyer...I have the address in Chinese printed of course...I can't write Chinese...and then I write address in English by hand with a pen.

Would I cancel the order...no.

I would also take a photo of package addressed and send a friendly hello your item has been mailed...in an email.

I do a double check on addresses...one in eBay and also one in my inbox of emails of my iPhone.

International addresses are sometimes different than in my inbox of emails from the payments of the buyer.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply