cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first time return request advise please

I recently sold a massaging wand that worked fine before shipping. Now the buyer says that at first item worked fine but upon second attempt, it isn't working as it should and is now requesting a return with full refund. Since it was sold with no returns and used, why should I offer a return on it? What would be the ramifications if I refuse? Side note: the buyer purchased the item outside of the 48 hour rule. Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@ginseng_drummer wrote:
Thanks for all of the timely responses you guys! I really learned a lot today. My last question is this: Since the buyer specifically said in his message to me (in the actual return case he opened) "I ve tried using the item (Thumper) twice. The first time, it worked well. The second time, there were odd noises and the machine no longer massaged as intended." Doesn't this appear that it could have been broken upon receipt of the item?

If it was, it's your problem.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Ebay's MBG trumps your "No Returns" policy, which is for buyer's remorse only. Should you refuse the return, ebay will most give your buyer a refund using your money, allow them to keep the item, and give you an "Unresolved Case" Strike for your troubles. Not sure what the "48 Hour" rule is?

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@ginseng_drummer wrote:

I recently sold a massaging wand that worked fine before shipping. Now the buyer says that at first item worked fine but upon second attempt, it isn't working as it should and is now requesting a return with full refund. Since it was sold with no returns and used, why should I offer a return on it? What would be the ramifications if I refuse? Side note: the buyer purchased the item outside of the 48 hour rule. Thanks for your help.

Uh, because you have no choice if a SNAD case is opened against you.

Also, what's a 48 hour rule?

Well, to answer your question, if no case has been opened against you I would simply say return for refund. If there is a case open, you must respond. You might be able to fight it if the buyer said in eBay messages that the item worked when they received, indicating that they broke it (which is not SNAD).

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The buyer won the auction and waited like 3 days to make the payment. The policy states that payment needed to be made within 48 hours of winning the auction. I was getting ready to relist it actually when the payment was finally made.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@ginseng_drummer wrote:

The buyer won the auction and waited like 3 days to make the payment. The policy states that payment needed to be made within 48 hours of winning the auction. I was getting ready to relist it actually when the payment was finally made.

Your "policy" is meaningless on eBay (as you'll find out). You should never relist an item until the first buyer is properly dealt with (NPB).

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@ginseng_drummer wrote:

The policy is actually that you can open the unpaid item dispute 48hrs after the listing ends. The buyer has a minimum of 6 days to pay, period. Because thats the soonest you can close the unpaid item case. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

It's meaningless if the buyer didn't pay by 48 hrs.   If the buyer forgot or failed to pay by 48 hrs you can file an unpaid item case.  eBay lets them know they must pay by 4 days or get a strike against their account for not paying.   So the buyer actually has as long as 6 days to pay after winning, without repercussion.  

You cannot relist the item until the transaction has been cancelled, either by you filing to cancel the transaction or by you filing an unpaid item case and having it close without payment.  THEN you can relist it.  If you relist it without cancelling or closing it with a strike you could end up with TWO buyers, because as long as the transaction hasn't been cancelled the first buyer is free to pay and expect to get the item!  

If the buyer has claimed it isn't as described eBay says the seller should address the buyer's concern and offer a solution, such as accepting a return, offering a replacement or refund.  If the buyer doesn't receive a response or solution, the buyer can ask eBay to step in and help.  When the buyer asks eBay to step in the seller gets a defect for a case unresolved by the seller.  eBay's solution is to refund the buyer.  And you may not get the item back.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

"When an item isn't returned to the seller

In some instances, we may not require that an item be returned to the seller. In these situations, we refund the buyer and may seek reimbursement from the seller, for example if:

• The seller chooses not to accept a return request or provide a return shipping label."

Accept the return and provide a return label and refund within 6 days after getting it back or refund in full and let them keep the item.  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for all of the timely responses you guys! I really learned a lot today. My last question is this: Since the buyer specifically said in his message to me (in the actual return case he opened) "I ve tried using the item (Thumper) twice. The first time, it worked well. The second time, there were odd noises and the machine no longer massaged as intended." Doesn't this appear that it could have been broken upon receipt of the item?
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@ginseng_drummer wrote:

If it was, it's your problem.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

It doesn't matter if he broke it or if it just fell apart.  It doesn't matter if he sends it back or sends you a rock, or a bag of garbage.  You still have to accept the return and refund when you get something back from him. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for your help today. I just accepted the buyer's return.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

OK... so many things going through my head.

She bought a personal massager that she used twice and now she wants to return it?

She nic named her personal massager "Thumper"?

Surely I've got this all wrong.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Lol! That's the actual name for it.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@ginseng_drummer wrote:
Lol! That's the actual name for it.

OH, that is just wrong to call a vibrator Thumper.  Why not Flower or Bambi?

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 14 of 14
latest reply