cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay buyer not responding to messages on the return request or accepting partial refund offered

so this ebay buyer bought a bunch of mixed random colored snails from me and without contacting me first, opened a case saying the "item is not as described" as she claims that the snails I send were all "brown" and did not have any other colors yet she didn't even attach any pictures to prove so and I'm thinking she's just trying to get free stuff. I told her that I stated in my item description that they are randomly given, and I guess she was just unlucky to not get an even mix or something. I said Id be willing to send her another order of snails if she could pay for shipping or I could give her 50% back on the price of the snails since she did receive healthy snails it seems, just not the colors she was hoping for. She has yet to respond to any of the messages I've sent her and it's been over 4 days. I sent a partial refund offer (I had to make a decision by the 14th according to ebay) but also have yet to receive any reply. How long does she have to accept the offer and what if she doesn't accept it or reply before then? Does eBay just give her a full refund? I really hope not.

Has anyone gone through a similar issue? I'm thinking about calling eBay's customer service about it as I really believe this buyer is just trying to get free stuff and is abusing the eBay's "item is not as described" thing and if she's lying I'd rather her have to return the snails back to me. Can I change my partial offer to have her return the item to me instead after I've sent it?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: ebay buyer not responding to messages on the return request or accepting partial refund offered

please do yourself a favor and accept the return.the buyer does not have to reply to any messages sent,they do no have to take a small refund.You need to get the item back and refund.the longer this goes on the bigger the chance is that you will have the money refunded and no item.

the buyer is in control of the situation now,send a retund label or a refund

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: ebay buyer not responding to messages on the return request or accepting partial refund offered

@windycityaquariums wrote:

I sent a partial refund offer (I had to make a decision by the 14th according to ebay) but also have yet to receive any reply.

How long does she have to accept the offer and what if she doesn't accept it or reply before then? Does eBay just give her a full refund? I really hope not.

Right now, you don't have the option to accept the return and issue a return label, as you're stalled waiting for your buyer to respond to your partial refund offer. Your buyer has 21 business days until October 30 to accept your partial refund offer and keep the item. If your buyer accepts, the partial refund is issued and the case closes.

But if your buyer declines your partial refund offer, you will get the two remaining options again,  to accept the return and issue a return label, or to refund with no return needed. Otherwise, either buyer or seller can ask eBay to step in, and eBay will likely fully refund without requiring a return.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I don't think there's an option to request a return for a refund now that I've already sent a partial refund offer. It's been over 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything from the buyer and they have yet to decline or accept my offer and at this point, I doubt they will reply so my real question is what happens if they don't accept or decline the offer? Does the case just time out and rule in my favor or will eBay then give me an option to request a return for a refund? I talked to an eBay rep and he said the case would time out on the 25th, which it didn't, and claims that the buyer will not get a refund if they do not accept my partial refund and the case will time out but the guy spoke terrible English and could barely type full sentences so I'm not confident at all that he has any clue what he's talking about lol.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

so what if they neither decline nor accept by that deadline? Does the case close?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

the buyer does not need to resond to you or to your offer of a partial refund.as long as you have accepted the return you are good,it takes about 50-60-days to time out and close by itself.  If the buyer chooses to do nothing then thats it,your money might be held up until the return is over with,there is nothing anyone can do to shorten the time

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@windycityaquariums wrote:

so what if they neither decline nor accept by that deadline? Does the case close?

If you don't accept the return or give a full refund, they can ask Ebay to step in.

They'll probably refund the buyer from your account, let them keep them, give you a defect for not handling the return and keep their fee's.

Have a great day.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

recently experienced this myself.  since the buyer doesn't have to respond, your offer for partial refund will be in limbo and doesn't get closed out automatically b/c of the return reason used.  i chatted with an ebay rep for over an hour, and in the end the best thing (for me at least) was simply to send a return mailing label to the buyer and get my product back.  since i didn't have that option to perform this action within ebay, i had to request the ebay rep to create and send the return mailing label to the buyer.  after i received my product back, the ebay system automatically issued a full refund to the buyer, and i ended up having to cover the shipping cost.  if you think the buyer just gamed the system, make sure to block the buyer from any future purchases.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I know this is old but for me if they don’t answer anything I would wait and let the request time out in 21 days and then contact eBay and let them know you tried to make arrangements with the buyer and they never responded. Or you can ask eBay to step in and tell them then that the buyer won’t respond to you, but I prefer the first method.  I have done this several times and had no effect on my account because I let eBay know afterwards.  They are understanding if you tried to work it out with the buyer and they never answered. Worked for me several times. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply