cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay Standard Envelope for trading cards less than $20 - NOT WORKING

I was very happy to learn about ebay's new inexpensive standard envelope shipping for cards <$20.

I have used it dozens of times since it was introduced, and initially thought it was amazing (inexpensive, tracking, made selling of $3-$15 cards actually reasonable for buyers).

However, in the past week I had two buyers complain to me -

1.  One said the tracking claimed package delivered to him, but he says he did not received it.

2.  Another says never received.  The tracking said 'out for delivery'  4-5 days ago, but never delivered!

I looked back at some old transactions and have found one other, about 8 days old, that also looks like it's "out for delivery" for a prolonged period of days, although buyer hasn't complained yet.

Have other sellers had problems with this?  Is there a solution or way of dealing with it thru ebay or USPS?

Thx for ideas.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Yes!  Just search Standard Envelop in this section and one will see many threads since this program was rolled out.  What you have observed is the weak point of this program: tracking.  Buyers are habituated to the regular style of tracking and this falls short - no "proof of delivery" with GPS coordinates.

I noted in the "details" there is an "insurance" for lost items and a procedure to follow to be made whole.

The only "solution" is to go back to FCP with real tracking.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I'm having a big issue with this right now. I think I'm going to take my cards down.

I have 3 people so far who have not received theirs. One of the 3's tracking says delivered, but he reached out to me today.

I also have one that says "out for delivery" like a week ago, but never had a delivered scan. They haven't reached out so guess it's fine?

I thought this would be great for selling cards. Turns out it's not. From what I've read, the post office doesn't know how to handle these so I'm probably SOL on these 3 cards ever being returned to me that I'm willing to refund.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@jeromeglue 

No there is no "delivery scan" as we have all been accustomed to seeing.  Those bar codes are only read by sorting machines.  Neither the clerk at the counter nor the carrier has the ability nor inclination to scan those bar codes.  So I suspect that if the local PO is large enough and has a sorter in their facility then the "tracking" can show, perhaps, as "delivered." 

If the item is truly "lost" - no tracking then the "insurance" kicks in.  Yes, seller is probably SOL if the tracking shows delivered and uyer claims they never got it.

Only "fix" would be to sell lots large enough to make the old FCP shipping viable.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

It is a freaking joke!!! My PO charges me an extra .24 per envelope for non-machinable.  And I believe this is causing about half of my envelopes to not even get read my the scanners at all!!!  I have multiple customers saying they haven't received their envelope and no scan or tracking to even prove I shipped it.  Shame on you Ebay for implementing a faulty not thought out program.  Once again Ebay, screwing the sellers!!!!

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I've shipped out hundreds and hundreds of orders using Standard Envelopes now.

Here are my thoughts:

1. It's hard to complain about this service considering the price. Even if we have to occasionally send refunds, the service still pays for itself.

2. eBay's tracking system is far from good. In fact, I have no clue how they track these envelopes and would really like to know.

3. All the issues you have listed have happened to me, but it really feels like an extreme minority once you start shipping out orders at high volume.

4. USPS has slowed down significantly in the last few weeks.

5. Typically when the tracking says "Delivered," but they buyer hasn't received the item yet, it will show up in 1-3 days.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I agree 100%. My % of claims for non delivery is rising. I asked my local Post Office there answer:   the bar code is for machinable mail and that is not a code for postal workers to use by hand scanning so whatever EBay says they are doing is really a untrue.... if you want these letters to be scanned they have to go though a “Machine Scan” and he said these size with the card board type Envelopes are definitely Scan machinable the edges only need to bend a little to go through the machine. However if you want non machinable then these type will not be tracked and the fact that you’re having any of these tracked is because someone is putting them through a Scan Machine.

Multiple customers report their item delivered but it does not arrive for a day or two depending how far they are from the PO autoscan. The postman do not scan the item at delivery.

Now the scammers have caught on ! They look at all the items they purchase, most likely the have the item in hand and still file a claim and WIN because the P.O. did not scan the item! B4 they could do it if no tracking was entered, now ebay provides a record. Easy scam money

I have about 600 listings currently, I now have lowered the Free Shipping level to item $12 and under so I don't get killed. 

I have complained to ebay and plan to file claims for the items lost in this poor tracking system use the link below:

https://www.pip-claim.com/PIPClaim/eBayIntClaim/CreateeBayClaim

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Hi guys my name is Josh, I am an eBay seller that might be the first one to be banned because of this shipping method. I made the account that I am currently posting with in attempt to split what products i have for sale on both accounts, because of the unreliability of this shipping method, and cases being opened left and right. I have been hit with defects and negative reviews left and right because of this shipping method. I was told that my account was seller restricted because the eBay risk management team was looking into my account. Days after submitting my personal info I was permanently suspended. All i ask is you to stay away from this method and to share this post and YouTube video I am linking that gives more context on this situation. I wish someone from eBay could help with this, but sadly I have had no luck.

You will have to type in this YouTube title to find my video, sorry i could not link it. 

eBay Please Help! eBay Collectible Card Sellers Beware of this Issue!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

thank for a postting ! 

good luck every one ! 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I just recently bought a card and it showed it was delivered and when I went to check for the package it was not there. I don’t blame the seller. Just frustrated when I order a card I want and it never shows up.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Agreed .

I don't have the link but just read (Sept. 22) an article explaining a few things, like weight and dimension standards. Up to 15 raw cards OR 2 cards in toploaders...also stamps, coins, and post cards are an option.

The buyers address must be written parallel to the longest side of envelope.

Envelope must be .25" or less.

Entire package must be 3oz. or less...although the wording here was terrible and it sounded more like 6 oz. plus shipping label was acceptable...just 3oz. max, I believe.

***AND the reason why items say delivered but do not show up for another 1-3 days is because this new set-up is made to be LOW RISK/HIGH VOLUME for the USPS. so No scan in for us the seller, no scan in for the postal employee either. Purchasing the label IS THE SCAN IN.

It is fed into the machines and routed. The machine scans them along the way...The reason for ALLLLLLL those parameters up top, so no human is involved. The last scan (I am assuming on this part by deduction/logic) is in buyers hometown and shows up DELIVERED instead of the usual OUT FOR DELIVERY.

Being these are all LOW RISK items this is done on good faith that USPS can make it the last mile and slam dunk it in the mailbox 😉

ALSO and this is important!!!! The normal tracking system WILL NOT show where the item is, if its scanned in, etc. There is a link...I will be putting it, alongside bullet points from above text, in my items description and my policies if possible. I do not have that link on hand...If you plan to be here long-term I assume you can look and find that easily, apologies. Hope that helped, have a blessed day.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

GOT IT

here is how to see the tracking info after the item has been shipped and scanned in by the machines...

--eBay standard envelope is an eBay Delivery Service and is tracked by our customers through their eBay accounts. Sellers can find the tracking information in MyeBay or Seller Hub. If your buyer is asking for tracking information, please direct them to their purchase transaction history.

If it  "doesn't make it" here is eBays response...

--From time to time, eBay standard envelope shipments unfortunately may not track all the way through delivery to your buyer. If your buyer opens an “Item Not Received” request, please work with them to issue a refund in a timely manner. In these cases, you may also consider raising a claim to recover your lost funds.

--

If you believe your shipment was lost in shipping, you must wait 30 days to file a claim. You can reduce the amount of the claim if your shipment was only partially lost or damaged, however the claim amount cannot be more than the item's sold price.

To file a claim, select the button below and add the following information to the form:

1. Tell us what happened - was your item damaged, or was your shipment lost?
  2. Enter the claim information and your PayPal email address.
  3. Enter the following additional information:
    • Your first and last name
    • The buyer’s first and last name
    • Shipment tracking number
    • eBay item number
    • Screenshot of eBay Order Details
    • Screenshot of buyer’s complaint message or dispute details regarding the lost or damaged item
  4. When finished, select File the claim.

Claims must be filed no later than 90 days from the date the shipping label was created.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I'm a buyer that's sick of this "new' tracking system.  It tells me NOTHING. It only reports when it was "shipped', and not where it IS. I haven't received my order yet.  I really don't know if it WAS shipped. I'm just taking eBay's word for it. Not good enough! Suppose they say it was delivered, and I never get it? Do they even KNOW where it is? If so, SAY so! Tell me! Where is my order? 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Hello,

I have also ran into issues with using this eBay standard envelope to sell cards. Several customers sent me pictures with standard envelopes arriving shredded with no item inside (I am assuming a USPS sorting machine does this). I started using small document envelopes and some customers have complained about having to pay 3.52 to get their package. I’ve refunded every person who has complaint. However I’ve had a recent customer who is not satisfied with the refund and paying .48 for his two cards and is threatening to leave me negative feedback (which would be my first in 14 years!!!) getting cards way under value in the first place and paying .48 altogether wasn’t enough. I am very frustrated with this new service that eBay and USPS seem to be fumbling.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

As a buyer,EBAY tracking reads delivered but I haven't received it.  They used ebay standard envelope. I went to track the envelope with USPS but their site cannot use the ebay tracking number. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply