cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay shipping calculator incorrect

I sold an item for which I received less in shipping $ from buyer than I should have. I'm not complaining about him. I list the item at 12 ounces, which should be $4.18 +.50 handling fee, or $4.68. ebay calculated and charged him $3.70. Fortunately I was able to pack the item 8 ounces,  so I didn't lose money. This is not the first time either. Anyone else experience this?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay shipping calculator incorrect

If you check the shipping calculator, you will probably find that the "Package type" has been set to "Large envelope" rather than to "Package/thick envelope." This will cause the calculator to charge your buyer the postage cost for a flat (AKA Large envelope), regardless of whether you chose "First Class package" in the other menu, for Service.  This is a programming flaw which eBay knows about but chooses not to address. Fortunately, the remedy is simple, just fix the "Package type" in the listing's shipping calculator.

EDIT: I see that $3.70 is not a USPS rate for First Class flats, so perhaps the other post (you entered a flat price) is correct. Or it's a flat plus a handling fee?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I have been using calculated shipping for 17 years.  The only time it has been wrong is when I put in wrong information when I set up the listing.   Garbage in garbage out.

It sounds like you input an envelope in instead of package

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Is this for the comic? The shipping cost is $3.70 when I use various zip codes so it looks like that listing has flat rate shipping, not calculated shipping.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If you check the shipping calculator, you will probably find that the "Package type" has been set to "Large envelope" rather than to "Package/thick envelope." This will cause the calculator to charge your buyer the postage cost for a flat (AKA Large envelope), regardless of whether you chose "First Class package" in the other menu, for Service.  This is a programming flaw which eBay knows about but chooses not to address. Fortunately, the remedy is simple, just fix the "Package type" in the listing's shipping calculator.

EDIT: I see that $3.70 is not a USPS rate for First Class flats, so perhaps the other post (you entered a flat price) is correct. Or it's a flat plus a handling fee?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks. I've made the change and will know for sure when someone buys the comics. I won't (will try at least) let it happen again.

A 50 cent handling is included, to cover the 15% ebay and Paypal take from the shipping charge.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

The eBay shipping calculator can be set to charge either the retail (at PO) rate or the online ("eBay") rate. The default is to charge the retail rate, so if you leave it that way then your buyer will be charged the retail rate for First Class packages, which is more than 50 cents above the online rate. In other words, adding a 50-cent handling fee might end up overcharging your buyer.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply