cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay returns in a nutshell

Buyer receives $900 item with $50 shipping.  Opens return same day for the following reason:

Clipboard Image (6).jpg

So what do the description and photo's look like?

Clipboard Image.jpgClipboard Image (2).jpgClipboard Image (3).jpg

Clipboard Image (4).jpg

Yeah, I guess it was easier to check the UPC when they got it instead of looking at the title, description, or the photos containing the UPC, part number, and the words "Headset" specifically.

There's a $100 I'm not getting back in shipping costs.  In fact, at this rate that's a months profit.  Sweet!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: eBay returns in a nutshell

Hopefully you get the same thing back.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Not mentioned in the description what is not included.

Poor you.  You only have to describe what you are selling, not what you are not selling or what is not included.  

After they return it report the buyer for abusing  MBG.   Return shipping should have been on them.  Forcing you to be responsible for it is abusing the policy.  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Not mentioned in the description what is not included.

Poor you.  You only have to describe what you are selling, not what you are not selling or what is not included.  

After they return it report the buyer for abusing  MBG.   Return shipping should have been on them.  Forcing you to be responsible for it is abusing the policy.  

When I first read it, I was saying to myself, 'The house isn't included, the car isn't included, the wife isn't included, the dog Isn't - well, it's up to the dog, the .....

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Typically if I am selling something that doesn't include things in comparison to the retail version I will specifically say "**Does not include...."

The thing is, this is the retail version I purchased directly from Steam. A few seconds from the buyer to read the description would have saved everyone a ton of trouble.

Yes, I'm afraid I have to report the buyer for abusing the system.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

At least he didn't rip open the box, pull all the stuff out, drop it on the floor, etc.  I try to look at the bright side in these cases.  Sometimes the bright side is kinda dim.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@performance_technology wrote:

Yes, I'm afraid I have to report the buyer for abusing the system.

Assuming this is a domestic transaction, you offer free shipping and free returns ... thus how can they abuse the system?

When you offer free returns, it doesn't matter whether the reason is remorse or SNAD, because you are paying for it.

(Also, eBay no longer allows sellers to charge restocking fees ... been that way for about 2 years).

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

1. The buyer's return reason is false.  The buyer marked the return as "Doesn't Match description or photos" and then goes on to talk about me not listing what IS NOT INCLUDED.  The item matches the description, it's just that the buyer assumed something not listed in the "What's in the box" section (which is pretty self explanatory) would be included.  If you go to the official product page (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1059530/Valve_Index_Headset/)  it also says the following:  "Requires Controllers, Base Stations, and PC.".

The return reason CERTAINLY DOES matter, as you get hit with an additional eBay fee if you go over a certain percentage of SNAD returns. 

2. Just because one offers free returns does not mean users can't abuse it.  Hence why eBay asks if you want to report the buyer at end of the free return process.  Free returns are not a substitute for reading the title, description, or looking at the photos.  It might be more acceptable for something like clothes but for expensive electronics or computer parts it is not.  If there was no such thing as free return abuse, I'd be tapping into my new eBay clothing catalog for free.  New wardrobe every month.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The return reason CERTAINLY DOES matter, as you get hit with an additional eBay fee if you go over a certain percentage of SNAD returns. 

That penalty is designed for larger volume sellers.  You have to have ten (10) SNAD returns in a year, and in a single category, in order for that fee to kick in ...  your sales volume doesn't look anywhere close to being threatened with that many SNADs.

Just because one offers free returns does not mean users can't abuse it.  Hence why eBay asks if you want to report the buyer at end of the free return process.  Free returns are not a substitute for reading the title, description, or looking at the photos.

Your buyer said that they didn't open the package.  If they did, or if they used it, then this is a different issue.  The subject I wrote about was only focused the return reason  - the return reason doesn't matter because you offer free returns.  Thus you pay for it regardless of SNAD or remorse or a buyer misreading your listing.

Yes.  That's right.  Even if a buyer misreads your listing, or doesn't read your listing, they can return it for free because you offer free returns, and that covers any reason imaginable.  That's how free returns works.

(And, that's why I don't offer free returns).

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

In the category I sell in, nearly every return is a SNAD.  Sometimes I get returns because a USB adapter wasn't working for a customer.     99.5% of the time the item is working fine (I test products before I sell them and again if they are returned).  It could have simply been a compatibility issue between the adapter and the customer's computer's USB controller.  That same adapter I re-test to ensure it's working and re-sell.  The next customer has zero problems.  Who's fault is that?  No one's but eBay gives me a SNAD bad mark regardless.  That aptly sums up the category I sell in.  Right now I have 9 SNAD on my service metrics and this will be the 10th.  My return rate is still far below Very High so I won't be effected but it just goes to show you that a blanket SNAD metric does not work for all categories and it does not effect only larger sellers.  I can imagine that there are other small sellers in my category who are unfairly hit.

"Your buyer said that they didn't open the package. If they did, or if they used it, then this is a different issue."

It wouldn't change anything.  Under Free Returns, items returned opened or in a different condition are subject to a fee from the seller as specifically listed in the FAQ.  I would not have a problem if they returned a used item.

"Yes. That's right. Even if a buyer misreads your listing, or doesn't read your listing, they can return it for free because you offer free returns, and that covers any reason imaginable. That's how free returns works."

Actually eBay policy states that frequent returners or incorrect SNAD are not part of how free returns work.

"if we identify a buyer who frequently returns items, we’ll step in and protect you."

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html#m22_tb_a1__1...

I'm glad you pointed this out, I wasn't aware eBay offered a credit for it:

"If a buyer falsely claims an item was “not as described,” we’ll protect you on eligible transactions. We’ll reimburse your return shipping label cost up to $6 per return. You’ll receive the return shipping label credit on your monthly invoice and we’ll automatically remove any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics."

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/get-started/seller-protection.html

Now I just need to find out how to claim it.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Now I just need to find out how to claim it.

When you report the buyer as abusing the MBG , or false SNAD, during the refund process, then the things you note are supposed to happen automatically ... including the removal of the SNAD from your service metrics.

I've not had a single false SNAD since the policy started, so I can't speak from any experience.   (I used to have a lot of false SNADs).

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks, that's good to know.  I rarely ever report so I'm not too intimate on how it works.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply