cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay deceptive 3 day shipping tactics

So eBay has long since advertised sellers with guaranteed 3 day shipping with better priority, and I specifically purchased a couple items knowing I would need it within 3 days. eBay, however, keeps defaulting these orders to slow 1 week+ shipping. It turns out they always hide the faster option in the shipping options in checkout. Usually I do not even touch this because faster shipping costs additional. But in these cases, the faster shipping option is FREE, yet eBay insists in hiding the fast shipping options and defaulting to the slow one every time. I just found out and it's been screwing me over. What the hell is the point of hiding a free fast shipping option that you specifically advertise as the selling point eBay.....

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: eBay deceptive 3 day shipping tactics

In fairness it really ought to say 3 day TRANSIT time. The original “3 day” is based on how fast eBay estimates that it will take to get to you once it is shipped. But as far as I know the original quote does not factor in the seller’s shipping time.

For example, I make it a point to get everything out the door within one business day of payment. So if you bought something from me today it would ship tomorrow. So the”3 days” would not start counting until tomorrow which really makes it 4 days. Some sellers are even slower and some state that they do not ship for several days after an order is placed.

Then to make it more confusing it appears that when they send the confirmation they add a few days as a “cushion” against delays of the expected delivery date. I have had cases where the buyer contacted me after the sale to ask about delivery. The original listing said 3 days and the confirmation they received said 6 days.

The reality is that once we turn a package over to the post office whether or not it gets there in time is entirely up to them. I recently received some feedback that said “got here 4 days early” .If it had a 3 days shipping time how was it able to get there 4 days early?

I guess the proverbial “grain of salt” comes into play.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: eBay deceptive 3 day shipping tactics

The seller selects which method of shipping shows up first by the way they set up the listing.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply