cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Shipping Calculator

Before pricing my listing, I used eBay's shipping calculator ahead of time to see how much to factor into the selling price for shipping because I wanted to provide free shipping. I told the calculator that I had a large envelope(9''x6'') and that my weight was two ounces. I also set the receiving address to the other side of the country(LA) as I live in Florida. It said that for USPS First Class, it would be $1.50.  However, I just received an order to a closer state than California and the shipping costed $3.90. Why did it do that??! I need to figure it out though because I have other items that I have priced like that and can't lose money on every sale.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

eBay Shipping Calculator

The shipping calculator is for "packages"

9X6x?

Flat envelopes are different than packages.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

eBay Shipping Calculator

You told the calculator to charge for a large envelope, but eBay only sells postage for packages.

USPS criteria have very strict dimensions and other requirements, such as flexibility, that you must meet if you want to only pay the postage for a flat (AKA Large envelope). But if you want tracking, or if the envelope doesn't qualify to be mailed as a flat (such as if it's rigid or over 3/4 inch thick, among other things) then you need to pay for package postage, and you need to revise those other listings.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

eBay Shipping Calculator

I am using bubble mailers which are flexible. How can I get the envelope rate of $1.50 then?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

eBay Shipping Calculator

There are 2 types of 1st Class (confusing, thanks to USPS)- 

Envelopes (which is every piece of mail you get, on average) and

Packages.

when you sell something you want 'proof' that you 

a.) mailed it

b.) that it was received

that is called TRACKING and is needed when you sell things here (not Mandatory, but really 'needed'). 

If you want to 'mail' an 'envelope', you just use stamps, you have NO proof of shipping it and NO proof of it ever getting there; and the buyer can simply open a Did Not Receive return and FORCE a full refund from you (ebay will either take it from you or you give it back)

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

eBay Shipping Calculator

@techno_things wrote:

I am using bubble mailers which are flexible. How can I get the envelope rate of $1.50 then?

But are the contents flexible?  If you're talking about those pencils, you cannot mail those as a flat, those pencils are not flexible. And the envelope must be not over 3/4 inch thick, including the contents.

To get the $1.50 postage rate for a truly eligible piece, you can either sign up for a different online postage service (I've head that Pirateship will do it) or just put stamps on it.

The new rates for July 9 include an increase from $1.50 to $1.59 for a 2-ounce flat.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

eBay Shipping Calculator

Makes sense. I appreciate your help!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply