cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International Shipping - opt-out questions

I just posted this in another thread and then of course the mods closed it.

I'm not entirely opposed to EIS, but I want my international buyers to have other option as well. I have questions I can't find answers for, like:

1) If I opt-in, do I lose the ability to offer other services in listings where they are already offered?

2) If I opt-out, will I still be able to offer other services side by side with EIS?

3) In  either of the above scenarios, will I be able to pick and choose which of my existing listings offer EIS? Because...

4) ...last I saw EIS (or its predecessor) only offered up to $100 insurance, and ShipCover insurance could't be added. Has any of that changed? I'm not shipping international items worth more than $100 without full insurance!

Answers appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: eBay International Shipping - opt-out questions

1. No you don't lose that ability. If you offer direct shipping to Canada, for instance, then buyers in Canada will see your direct shipping option while buyers in countries where you don't offer direct shipping will see EIS.

2. If you opt out you are not offering EIS at all so I don't understand the question.

3. You cannot set EIS at the listing level (this, along with lack of combined shipping, is one of two main problems with EIS in my opinion). It's an account level setting. But what you can do is set up shipping exclusions on any listings you don't want included in EIS. Exclude shipping on that listing (or within that biz policy if you use biz policies) to all international locations, or to any where you don't have a direct shipping method set up. It's more work but will accomplish the same goal.

4. You're thinking of EISD which was an entirely different system. EIS predecessor was technically GSP. Bottom line is this: with EIS you're shipping domestically and your responsibility for safe delivery ends when the item reaches Glendale Heights, IL. So whatever domestic shipping method you use will determine insurance. Priority includes up to $100 while First Class includes $0. You'd treat it the same as any other domestic shipment for which you want insurance coverage. EIS takes responsibility after the item is processed at their hub.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Something that is not explained to sellers.

GSP seemed expensive because import fees that were used to pay duty and sales taxes were charged to the buyer before the seller was told to ship.

EIS does not do this.

So be prepared for complaints about duty and sales taxes from unhappy customers. 

And also be prepared for the return of the Customs Hold scam, where the scammer reports an INR, gets his refund, then picks up the item being held at the post office and pays the import fees, a small percentage of the actual value.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

1. EIS does not do this.

2. So be prepared for complaints about duty and sales taxes from unhappy customers. 

And also be prepared for the return of the Customs Hold scam, where the scammer reports an INR, gets his refund, then picks up the item being held at the post office and pays the import fees, a small percentage of the actual value.

1. Not yet, but supposedly EIS is working on giving buyers the choice of paid or unpaid duties at time of purchase.

2. If a buyer complains and/or tries to pull a customs hold scam, that falls to eBay to deal with. Once seller delivers to hub in IL and package is accepted for processing, they don't have to worry about what happens if the buyer tries to pull a scam. eBay handles it and does not pull funds from the seller.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks, this is helpful.

I'm using a third party listing tool. It allows me to select what countries I want to ship to and what services I'm willing to offer (including GSP) on an item by item basis. I wasn't sure if EIS would become an option in my listing tool when it is implemented.

Also didn't realize EIS is an account-level solution. I get the country by country exceptions and shipping exclusions, but yes, seems like a LOT more work. And the inability to combine is ridiculous.

One of the most common complaints I heard about GSP was of items arriving damaged overseas, and eBay refusing to take responsibility, claiming the damaged happened between domestic locations. And of course, ShipCover said "no, you have to prove it happened domestically, we take no responsibility once eBay takes it into GSP" - he said, she said, and seller is screwed, and now you can't even buy ShipCover insurance for GSP (and, I assume EIS). But are you saying if I send a $1000 item to Germany and it's insured for that amount to the domestic location, eBay will be responsible if it arrives damaged in Germany using EIS?

PS: thanks for the link re: the death of first class & the new rates. UGH, will not be fun.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hey @supermegabot.

Re: Ground Advantage - I have to update that post because USPS released a new rate chart and everything under a pound is going to stay the same as the current FC rates when this changes over in a month.

Re: Insurance - you have some misinformation happening there as ShipCover never played a role in GSP or EISD. PIP was part of EISD. But let's not get off track. Bottom line is you're responsible for getting it safely to IL. If it's damaged in Germany, eBay refunds the buyer not you. If you ever encounter that situation and have questions if a claim is opened just come here and ask for help or you can always contact CS and let them know it's an EIS shipment.

Re: third party lister - nope, you will not see EIS as an option at the listing level like you did with GSP. Not unless eBay changes that. I hope they will, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen. Time will tell. Things are still new and somewhat in flux.

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

My recollection was the ShipCover option was (perhaps very briefly) offered as an insurance option when GSP launched. There were immediate disputes re: damaged items from International buyers. Sellers found SC saying their coverage was only good to eBay's US consolidation destination and claims were denied because the recipient couldn't prove where the damage happened.

Those days are over, and as you said, let's not get off track. Except this remains a concern inasmuch it is unrealistic for eBay's consolidation center to inspect every package they receive for damage, leaving the door wide open for the he said /she said argument if/when a buyer in France recieves a damaged item.

As of today, eBay's International service says they'll only cover up to $100. That may change with EIS, but I haven't seen any calrification of that from them. I'm sure they have the data that would allow them to decide if they want to take on responsibility for total values, and maybe they will

But until the extent of insurance and process of domestic coverage is clarified by experiences with EIS (ie; after they launch it and we see first-hand reports), it seems a lot cleaner and safer to have one carrier and a single insurance company for the entire journey - especialy since sellers will still pay for insurance on high-ticket items to eBay's conslidation centers, so why not spend a little extra and cut out any chance of loss?

Very curious to see the eBay discounts on Ground Advantage.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply