cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International Shipping - inspection and time to delivery

I sold a piece of vintage sheet market to Germany. Shipped it first class to Glendale Heights, IL. Tracking shows it arrived, though it doesn't show as delivered in Paid and Shipped Orders. Under the tracking, it says,

Your item arrived at our shipping hub.

Your item is being inspected.

What?! They're inspecting sheet music? 4 pages, essentially 2 pieces of paper. Do they open packages to inspect? If they do, I'm worried about how items will be repackaged. I have some worries about this one, but more so on other ones where a box might contain multiple small pieces.

It also says the estimated delivery date is 31 days from today. That's a lot longer than the GSP used to take, but hopefully that was the date shown to the buyer when he purchased.
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@carolynnq   taken from the EIS link>  https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-international-shipping#update-your-current-listings-...

"We may open and inspect your item to ensure compliance with US export regulations and the import regulations of the destination country.

If we open your package for inspection, we take care to ensure your item is not damaged in the process. Once we’ve verified your package is able to ship, we will repack your item and send it to your buyer the same way it was originally packed."

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Hey @carolynnq. Some info about EIS:

- They generally don't repack items unless the outer packaging is damaged when it arrives to the hub.

- While they can inspect any item, for the most part something like sheet music isn't going to be opened.

- Shipping team said the process at the hub takes approx 4 hours to move a package through with inspection, customs paperwork and international shipping label. So if you're not seeing updates the package is probably (1) waiting in a queue to be processed, (2) awaiting transport to the next location (airport / customs) or (3) it's arrived at customs but is waiting processing.

Bottom line:

1. If the item arrives damaged to the buyer, EIS will be responsible for the refund.

2. The estimated delivery allows another month so there is zero point in worrying. No need to babysit tracking. Further, if the package doesn't make it to the buyer, EIS will be responsible for the refund since you got the package safely to the hub.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I just wanted to let people know that ebay is now hiding this. I just had GSP break an item. The buyer in France decided to take it out on me. When speaking to ebay CSR  they say I am protected and turned i the revision for me. They denied the claim and my seller protection and they now say they do not inspect or repack the items. I informed the US rep that is not the case. The first US rep after being denied protection after being first told I was protected insisted that they only relabel and not inspect.

I reached back out get a different US rep with shipping and was informed again that I was protected but have to now go through the appeals process. I do not feel much trust for ebay and who knows what they will do but the 2nd rep with shipping department stated she would monitor it and make sure it goes my way. The problem is when it doesn't they can all say one thing while ebay backroom we cant speak to foe obvious shady reasons does another. 

What I am getting at is ebay being sbay is now denying this and changed the verbiage to now blame us  for there mistakes once again.  First rep actually attempted to say I would have to prove that it wasn't broken when I shipped it.  It seems we are now losing GSP protection. 

"We may open and inspect your item to ensure compliance with US export regulations and the import regulations of the destination country.

"If we open your package for inspection, we take care to ensure your item is not damaged in the process. Once we’ve verified your package is able to ship, we will repack your item and send it to your buyer the same way it was originally packed."

No longer in the user agreement and they no longer admit that they inspect the shipping.  First US rep I spoke with admitted they removed /changed it from saying they inspect the packages.  

2024 is already shaping up to another very abusive year for ebay sellers with ebay policy always revolving to benefit them financially at the sellers expense. Potentially ebay could start generating more money deliberately breaking GSP items denying coverage while as always pushing returns.   

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

"

Benefits of the Global Shipping Program

Besides making your items available worldwide, there are a number of benefits to using the Global Shipping Program:

• If an item is lost or broken during international shipping, eBay money back cases will be resolved in your favour, and your seller performance standards won't be affected
  • When you provide free domestic shipping to the shipping center, you'll automatically receive 5 stars for shipping costs in your detailed seller rating
    • If you charge for domestic shipping to the shipping center but receive a rating below 5 stars for shipping costs, it won't count against your seller performance standards
  • You'll automatically receive 5 stars for shipping time in your detailed seller rating when you ship with same business day or 1 business day handling, upload tracking information within 1 business day of receiving payment, and deliver the item to the US shipping center within 4 business days
  • Any negative or neutral feedback that can be attributed to the Global Shipping Program from item handling during international transit will be removed"

It seems this is still posted but it's becoming harder and harder to get the backroom ebay representatives to respect our binding contract. If the buyer doesn't open up a return request eBay will not help you with the seller ratings Even though it is their fault that you receive them from their buyer contracted to them.

So, now that they are pretending that they do not inspect and repack the items it seems they are now asking for proof that you didn't ship it broken and as we all know they use that same excuse for denying all claims to the sellers always believing the buyers saying there is no way to prove we did not ship a broken item. 

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@carolynnq wrote:
If they do, I'm worried about how items will be repackaged.

Don't be.

Once it hits the hub you are off the hook. If they mess it up, ebay refunds the buyer, not you.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@jimmy1000000 

The global shipping program changed last year and is now called the eBay International Shipping Program. In your situation, did the buyer actually open a claim saying that an item they received was damaged? Or did you refund them and try to get the money back from eBay?  If you refunded yourself that's where the problem lays. The buyer should file the claim and ebay will pay for their return shipping and then refund.  I haven't heard of them denying the claim so I'm curious as to what happened in your case.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Oh no I'm a 20-plus year eBay veteran I'm not going to refund anybody due to the global shipping program breaking the item. I opted out of ebay's mitigation 20 plus years ago for these very reasons. Ebay's buyer never opened up a return request they just decided to take out their frustration on me. ebay representatives, three so far have said I have seller protection. But ebay's back room so far as I mentioned is denying my seller protection. A supervisor with their international shipping AKA just "shipping' , they just team up the two together now. Said she will be monitoring it and if they refuse the appeal she will get involved and make it go away.  Evay is a defective site at this point you can't automate a failed system. As any veteran seller can tell you. Things that used to be instant now take weeks and you have to fight and battle with ignorance and greed.  Have a great rest of your day. 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

If there has been no claim opened by the buyer, there is no action for Ebay to take.

It is unlikely that when there is a claim, a human will make the decision. Certainly, the decision will not be made by anyone you have spoken to.

Talking to customer support about what a hypothetical problems at this time will get as many opinions as is possible to get. And all that you receive could be wrong.

The closest you get to a correct answer before the fact is the written explanations in the help pages, which several posters have quoted from.

You are part of the problem as well since Ebay Global Shipping no longer exists, and you have referred to it.

EIS definitely improved on GSP.

Either tell the buyer about opening a claim or ignore him. You run little risk of negative FB or anything else.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@jimmy1000000 

eBay International Shipping has replaced the Global Shipping Program in the US. For more information, see our Seller Center page.

read here>  https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/ebay-international-shipping#update-your-current-listings-...

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

What I copied about the global shipping program is directly from the eBay website until they take that down they have to honor it. They still advertise they use the global shipping program I am still signed up with the global shipping program. Do you people commenting actually use ebay?

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

ebay doesn't allow links to their own site so they remove the link that you could have clicked on to see that this is what ebay currently has posted in our guidelines online aka our contract.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

How would they honor something that is not being used?

Leftover info about an obsolete program may not be applicable to the current "in use" program😊

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

By way of legally binding contract. It's up on their website so that's lled false advertisement if they do not. Bait and switch etc. so they have to honor it because they are too lazy or just bad at e-commerce in general to take it down. 

How long have you been shilling for eBay? How much do they pay?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply