cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International Shipping Is Messed up

When you enter 8x10x1 inch as dimensions for a package, the price charged is $13 on 8 ounces or less.

First of all, that is incorrect and is NOW supposed to be $14 as of Jan 9th.

BUT ... change the dimensions any higher than 8x10x1 .... let's say 8x11x1 and eBay's International facility changes from charging $13 (for an 8 ounce or less package) to $21

Which also is supposed to be charging us $22 as of Jan 9th ... but that is only -IF- the package weighs over 8 ounces.

So this is really screwed up on so many levels and needs to be fixed.  It's not only screwing up on the measurements -BUT- charging us the OLD POSTAGE prices as well.

Until this is fixed, we can't mail out International packages.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Unfortunately, there's nothing to fix because this is by design @tvcollectibles. eBay changed ISD so it's based on dimensional weight, no matter how small the package is.

Package L x W x H / 166 = billable weight

Your listings need to have accurate package dimensions to make sure buyers are charged the correct rates.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Obviously there is a problem since as you can see more complaints are coming in from other sellers as well.

You also gave no solution as to what we are supposed to do for this problem.

I have 2 international sales I need to generate labels for and I can't on either one of them because they are both wanting to charge $13 (the OLD postage price) instead of the new $14 price.

Then when entering the measurements wants to charge us $21 ... when it's supposed to now be $22

I'd say YES that is flawed and needs to be fixed.

The only solution seems to be start refusing International Sales.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I can't speak to the rates the system is charging being $1 lower than what you say the new rates are. You didn't provide details about what country these shipments are going to. If it's $1 less than the published rate is it a problem that you would save money?

I gave you a solution to avoid the $13 vs $21 price difference problem on all future sales and that's to update your listings with accurate package dimensions to make sure buyers are charged the correct rates.

For your 2 current sales you have 3 options:

1. Pay the difference.
  2. Use a different service like shipping direct with USPS.
  3. Buy a label from another shipping provider. I use PirateShip.com for all of my international packages.

This is the current rate chart that also has information about how package dimensions determine billable rates. (link)

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Okay well they fixed the mis-charge of $13 and changed it to the correct $14 so they may be aware there is some problems going on.

But they did not fix the measurement FLAW yet.

And you asked what country it's doing this on.  It's on ALL countries, not just one.  UK, France, etc

And we shouldn't have to go to another site to buy postage when eBay wants us to use their own and even promotes us to on their postage page.

So here is the problem going on now, which I made a screenshot of.

Like I said before, when I have the measurements of 8x10x1 it wants to charge $14 ... if I add one more inch to any of those such as 9x10x1 the eBay International price jumps from $14 to $22 while the USPS rate stays the same at $16.96 ... yet eBay claims their eBay International facility have cheaper prices.

Something is flawed with that and needs to be fixed since we should be able to enter measurements far greater than 12x10x1 ... even larger since the Max dimensions are 84" (length + girth)

So according to the screenshots, do you see anything I'm doing incorrectly that generates the $22 price (that is supposed to be charged according to the ounces, not the measurements)?

I purposely blurred the buyers address but left the country showing just in case we're not supposed to show addresses on the forum.

eBayInternationalPostage-102.png

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@tvcollectibles wrote:

So according to the screenshots, do you see anything I'm doing incorrectly that generates the $22 price (that is supposed to be charged according to the ounces, not the measurements)?

As of January 9th, it's supposed to be charged based on whichever is greater - the dimensional weight or the actual weight. Billable rates are now primarily based on package size for lightweight items. It killed the service. The rates are too high. But it's not an error - it's intentional on eBay's part. Your package is correctly being charged based on the dimensions.

Check the link in my last post and scroll below the rate table to the "billable weight" section. It's all there. eBay kinda snuck in the change and I think a lot of sellers are going to stop using eISD because of it.

I'm not defending the change. I think it was a really bad move for eBay to go with it and I won't use the service. I'm just trying to explain how it works now so you're not caught in a bad situation with future sales.

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Okay then let's see if I am figuring this correctly for a 12x9x1 inch package weighing 8 ounces or less

12 x 9 x 1 = 108

Take 108 and divide it by 166 = .65

Since 8 ounces is .5 then yes, I see where the Dimensional weight is higher to where it wasn't on an 8x10x1 inch package.

But going to other sites like Pirate, etc shouldn't really do any good as it would only generate the same $16.96 being charged using the USPS rate on the above screen-cap, correct?

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

You got it with the dimensional rates.

Pirate has an international shipping program that uses Asendia (which works similarly to eISD). It's a program you need to speak with their CS to get signed up for. If you want insurance you need to add it to those shipments because it's not included.

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Clarification: It's similar in process, not in rates. You ship to a US hub, they put a new label on and send internationally with the exception of Canada that goes direct through USPS.

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I say just ship it the least expensive way you could. You'll be billed for extra $1 later if need be. You don't want to get dinged for Iate shipping and have some upset Buyers as well

Obviously, system hasn't been adjusted to all changes yet

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

So I go through all the motions of signing up for the Pirate site and then proceed to buy my first International label there ... and guess what?

It's the exact same rate eBay is charging for USPS First-Class Package International through the Postal Service.

So that was a waste of time.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I never found benefits going out of eBay, except insurance fees are higher on eBay

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

You ignored what I said above @tvcollectibles.

"Pirate has an international shipping program that uses Asendia (which works similarly to eISD). It's a program you need to speak with their CS to get signed up for"

Their CS is usually available on chat and takes care of it instantly. If there's nobody available on chat they get back to you by e-mail within 24 hours.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Okay I did that through their Chat system and they immediately activated the cheaper service and w0w was it ever a complete drop in price.

The package to France was even cheaper to mail than the previous rates to Canada.

I'll give it a shot since the only other choice is to hike my International prices on over 12,000 listings, which would take a while and probably cut International sales more than they already been cut.

Also what I find amazing is you can integrate your eBay account to the site where the shipping info it imported there.

Customers testimonies seem to be good as well so hopefully this works out.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

You're welcome. haha

Just remember what I said above @tvcollectibles about the service being uninsured. If you want insurance then add it - it will still be cheaper than eBay/USPS.

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply