cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'combined' shipping

I picked up 3 items from the same seller, all 3 the exact shape and weight (under 12oz ea.). shipping on each listing is $14.99 domestic and will combine shipping. So I add them to my cart and request new total. when it comes back 3 days later, instead of $14.99x3, I now have 0, 0, and $29.98! First there is NO WAY that's realistic. Second, isn't that raising the shipping on the first item?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: 'combined' shipping

Sounds like the combined your shipping. 

Sounds good to me.

Grandma 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It looks to me as if you paid $14.99 on the first item, then half that amount for each of the additional two. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hmmm, 14.99 x 3 = $44.97   Seller is charging you $29.98 overall for combined shipping. Probably easier to do it that way than make individual adjustments on each item. But look!

You saved $14.99!  You saved 33% on shipping!

Congrats on getting such a great deal!

Point is that the outcome is what you asked for - a reduction in shipping cost!  You got what you wanted, don't sweat the details on "how" the sausage was made.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

EDIT: I failed to mention he advertises flat $14.99 shipping on every listing he has.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

So even if he had come back with $44.96, I'm to understand ebay is largely OK with that?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@darkside_unlimited wrote:

EDIT: I failed to mention he advertises flat $14.99 shipping on every listing he has.

Right - $14.99 FOR EACH ITEM. That is not to be construed as $14.99 FOR EACH PACKAGE containing multiple items. So as others have pointed out instead of charging you $14.99 on EACH item, he combined and discounted the total. You got a deal.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

No, Not "for each item", It's clear he means 'for each parcel'

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

No, Not "for each item", It's clear he means 'for each parcel'

Without knowing who the seller was I can not read and parse his text.

But I suspect that "for each parcel" is wishful thinking on your part.  Show me the exact text. 

I offer free shipping on 95% of what I sell. That simply can not be construed to mean I offer free shipping on everything (i.e. the last 5%).

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

So even if he had come back with $44.96, I'm to understand ebay is largely OK with that?

@darkside_unlimited 

Yeah, sure, why not?  You buy from a listing that says price of item is $XYZ.AB plus $14.99 shipping.  Then you buy 3 of them so the seller is within their rights to charge you for 3 shipping charges.  That is the way it works.

Unfortunately that may not seem logical but it is within the policies of eBay.  Plus without knowing what the item is nor its weight, we can't speculate on the shipping costs.   If the item is something fragile, combining them in a box means a larger box to issure enough padding between items, plus sufficient padding around the edges of the box.  With Dimensional Weights, perhaps a larger box costs more that the individual box?

So this seller was kind enough to offer you a shipping discount of 33%.  That is a good thing.  The other way to look at it is what is the cost of buying from another seller?  Gotta look at total cost and if the 14.99 x 3 adds enough extra to make the item more expensive, then you click back and buy from another seller.

I know everyone wants a bargain, but don't let what you "think" it should be cloud the way it is.  Nothing nefarious here, just business - seller trying to sell items, pay their shipping costs, pay other selling costs and hopefully make a profit.  Buyer of course is looking to pay the least they can.

Shop on total price = price + shipping and sometimes you will find a seller that will help you out with combined shipping to lower your cost.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

it looks like you got combined shipping and the combined shipping discount............

most buyers are not that concerned with combined shipping .its really the discount that they want

they might mention combined shipping  when they really wanted to mention discounted shipping

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

*UPDATE*

Got the items. He paid $8 to ship.

So yeah, I'd say he "hopefully made a profit"

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Send him a message asking him if he can do better on the shipping. If they are 3 small items, the 14.99 is reasonable.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply