cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change shipping address after purchase

After you order something, and before the seller ships it, you should be able to change the shipping address. I have several addresses that I use as I have different locations I need items shipped to, but sometimes I forget to change the saved address to another address. Amazon has this feature; the ability to change address after purchase (before it ships). Having to e-mail the seller is an inconvienance.  I'm mainly talking about, pretty much, a few minutes after you win an item. Should be a small enough window to change the address without causing any issues or having to have extra communication between the buyer and seller.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: change shipping address after purchase

On the checkout screen, you are given every opportunity to SELECT the ship-to address BEFORE you pay.  All you have to do is review the details and then make changes BEFORE you pay.

Imagine the disasters that could occur if  buyers pay, then change the address!  So I pay for shipping 200 miles to Address A.  Then I change the address to  Address B, 2500 miles away.  The amount of postage changes considerably!  And you can't pay for the transaction more than once.  What a great way to cheat the seller!

Personally, I have at least 6 ship-to addresses scattered around the country.  I ALWAYS make sure the desired address is visible on the checkout screen and that I've modified the payment funding source, too.  Then, and ONLY then, do I complete the process by authorizing payment.

Bottom line:  Once you send the payment, that's it.  No changes allowed.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I know exactly how to change the address. I am just saying that sometimes I buy too fast. I can just contact the seller anyway, but that wasn't what I was saying. Not trying to cheat anyone and that was exactly my point in saying that you shouldn't have to contact the seller because there are just too many paranoid people out there who think you're up to something when all it is is a simple change of address.

I've done this on Amazon many times without a problem. If Amazon can figure it out, so can eBay. It's linked to your accounts and it's before the shipping officially prints in the system.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@awesert wrote:

I know exactly how to change the address. I am just saying that sometimes I buy too fast. I can just contact the seller anyway, but that wasn't what I was saying. Not trying to cheat anyone and that was exactly my point in saying that you shouldn't have to contact the seller because there are just too many paranoid people out there who think you're up to something when all it is is a simple change of address.

I've done this on Amazon many times without a problem. If Amazon can figure it out, so can eBay. It's linked to your accounts and it's before the shipping officially prints in the system.

Not your intent, nor would it be mine, but there are 1000's of scammers out there that do just that.

Then there is the "I never got my item" scammers that can get a refund from PayPal (via your bank account) when you do not ship to the "checkout address".

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@awesert wrote:

Amazon doesn't use PayPal though, Amazon processes their own payments so any changes you make after the initial order, are reflected on the payment transaction. eBay doesn't process payments so any change you make to the eBay order details does not carry over to the PayPal transaction so it makes sense that eBay does not allow buyers to go in and change such an important detail. The seller would lose seller protection if they don't ship to the address on the PayPal transaction. Not only that but some sellers do print labels as soon as payment is received so another reason not give buyers this type of control.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@awesert wrote:

Slow down your "buying habits" - all your issues solved or follow the rule of the woodworkers/carpenters - measure twice cut once.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sorry about this. I can understand mistakes can be made during check-out, especially if you are using a mobile app. Honestly the only advice I can give to you is to double check everything to make sure you didn't make any sort of error on your end (address and payment method desired, etc.) I ALWAYS double or even triple check the information before hitting the final button to finalize purchase. I will also never use any sort of express checkout or mobile checkout, because it can be harder to read and buggy sometimes.

It is an inconvenience because the only way you would be able to request the right address is most likely asking the seller to cancel the transaction, so that you can rebuy it with the proper address. Since the seller will not want to jeopardize any sort of protection they have if they ship to an address not shown on the eBay listing or the PayPal transaction. It is also a known scam of buyers to try to ask them to ship to another address not officially documented on the transaction.

Also, Amazon has its own checkout system or w/e and doesn't use Paypal (for obvious reasons). So they have the ability to allow you to edit orders or even cancel them completely (without contacting the seller) before they get into the "preparing for shipment" status. It is really nice. But I wouldn't expect this of eBay because it's like comparing an apple to an orange really...

TLDR; you just have to be more careful when you finalize a purchase on eBay, because there really isn't an easy "oops" or undo button.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@awesert wrote:

Then slow down.

Yes you can SOMETIMES change the shipping on Amazon but ONLY when fullfilled by Amazon, not with private sellers. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply