cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bathing suit returned without sanitary liner

hello,

I sold a bathing suit that was brand new, with the sanitary liner intact.   The buyer waited until almost 30 days to open the return.  I allow returns, but specifically told her that it must still have the liner (thusfar none of my returns have come back without one, but I had a bad feeling here).   She takes her sweet time to return it, and when it finally arrives, there is no liner.   Is there any way to reject the return since it is not in the condition it was sent in?  There is no way I can sell this as new since her bare bottom probably touched it.   Everything I've read suggests that I will lose if it is escalated.  Regular department stores won't take bathing suits back without the liners.     

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: bathing suit returned without sanitary liner

I don't know how to advise you - there are some States that do not allow for the return of intimate items under no circumstances - I don't know how eBay seems to think that their MBG policy will override State Health Law.

The only thing that I think that may help is that by your buyer not returning it in the condition as which it was sent would be your only defense in rejecting the return.  After all, it is their policy, therefore, they should abide by it. 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

You already agreed to the return for refund.  Nevermind the fact that it is not in the same condition it was shipped in.... NASTY!!!!!!  Buyers have sent back bricks instead of laptops and they still win.  I WOULD report the buyer for abuse of the return system, but if you deny the return or escalate, you will most likely get a defect.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

About all you can do is call CS and let them know about the return that it was not returned in the proper condition and hope for the best.  Not much you can do beyond that I dont think.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not understand, What does it matter if it has the liner or not..When you buy a suit .You throw it out before wearing.. ( I wash all clothes New or used before wearing)

Did you want to resell it as new? After a month, It is now a used bathing suit, You have no idea if it was wore or not.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I think that was supposed to be the IDEA of selling on Ebay: you sell a new item, if the buyer does not like it and returns it back in the SAME condition by ensuring proper packaging, the seller can afterwards relist the same item again as new. Keep dreaming, right?
He/ she already incurred the return shipping loss, most probably (if it was filed as a IND case). Why the seller has to incur additional losses due to a returned damaged item, and now list it as "used"?! Who will buy that bathing suit afterwards? So the seller is losing here no matter what, even if he receives his item back.
Wow, I feel sorry for this whole situation. Nobody wins in this case: Ebay does not get its transaction fees, the seller cannot relist the item, but the buyer must have had a nice day or two at the beach...
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

For sanitary reasons, the bathing suit has now depreciated in value 😞 - germs and infections can be passed on to an unsuspecting female.  There is a reason as to why those liners are now used on certain items.  And there are some States that will not allow a return on intimate items.

Now I buy used all the time for myself, however, there are certain items that I will not purchase and underwear is on the top of the list, along with electronics.  I also do not buy used items for the cats because it could pose a health issue for them so they either get new or a handmade bed from me.

In any event, the bathing suit has greatly depreciated in value and OP may not be able at the original price because it is now "used" 😞

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

It's been a long time since I sold any bathing suits. I'm pretty sure back then eBay was on board with not allowing returns because they are considered intimate wear. I would say to call for a clarification, but I don't trust the CS crew to give a correct answer.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Ebay generally encourages a compromise between buyer and sellers. When that doesn't work the hard letter of the returns policy is adhered to. If you state in your return policy that you cannot receive sanitary products (though that is meant to be universal) I believe you are covered. Alternatively, you may report the buyer to Ebay if she returned the item in a state not the same as the original condition. I can't see how you are not covered either way. The below can be found on the CS page:

See below:

If you receive a different item, an item in a different condition than the way the buyer received it, or an empty package, contact the buyer and try to resolve the issue. If you're unsuccessful, report the buyer to us.

We take these reports seriously, and will carry out a thorough investigation before taking any appropriate action.

That is explicit enough in my opinion.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I would make notations that you should be extra sure of your size because there will not be any returns on swim wear. That way you will be covered and they have that chance that they'll take if they don't know their own size.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

When you go to process her refund, you should see a screen that gives you several choices, Refund LESS the Restocking Fee and Return Shipping. (Be sure to report the buyer for misuse of retruns and misuse of MBG).

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@paul
Obviously if the sanitary liner is gone, the suit has been worn and used.
Maybe you do not know what that is.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:
@paul
Obviously if the sanitary liner is gone, the suit has been worn and used.
Maybe you do not know what that is.

I wonder if she took it on her vacation, wore it and now wants to return it because next vacation she will want a different one? If this were me I'd be looking for her Facebook page to see if there are photos of her at the beach in the bathing suit.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Not only did the buyer probley wore it on vacation and returned it after use. I was wondering do you have a restocking fee. I would suggest you add it to try to deter returns.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Yes,  check FB most def 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply