cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about this international transaction - please tell me I'm paranoid!

Hopefully, I'm just being a worrywart, and it'll be fine, but I just want some feedback.

Last night, I sold a vintage camera. It sold for way more than expected - $500 - although I didn't think I'd get much for it, because even though the lens is quite an expensive lens, it has fungus issues. The buyer is in Japan. What makes me nervous is this:  out of all 15 or so bidders, nearly all were in Asia. The American bidders all stopped at about $200-300 (except for one guy who has zero feedback and who knows what he was up to).  I described the camera as untested, twice (in excellent cosmetic condition, however), with fungus issues (including photos), and I also wrote "I'm selling this as a repair camera only because of the condition of the lens," with no returns accepted. I'm worried because even though I think I made it pretty clear that it was an untested item with a known problem (in hindsight, I probably should have added "and also because it's untested, I don't know if it works," but I think most people realize that that's what untested means), if the buyer's command of English isn't perfect, or if he used ebay's not-always-reliable translations, can he claim SNAD if he discovers that the lens can't be cleaned (I've always read that fungus can't be eliminated), or claim that there's another issue, even though I said I was selling the item as a repair camera only?

It's as if the American buyers stopped bidding after a certain point, understanding that the lens has problems and wasn't worth spending tons on, but the overseas buyers didn't.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will mail it out tomorrow and hope for the best. Thanks!

'

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Well, it doesn't look like it was listed under "For parts/repair". And mentioning it wasn't tested isn't a way, nor is saying no returns, to get out of an item not as described.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I don't know what you have listed for handling time, but if you have it set longer than 1 day, you could try to send a message to the buyer and inform them that the lens is defective and cannot be cleaned.  And inquire if they still want it or would like to cancel the sale.  And if they agree to cancel the sale, be sure to do it at the buyers request, to avoid a defect.

Short of that, there isn't much you can do, other than ship it out and hope for the best.  Buyers always have the option to file SNAD (no matter how it's listed, and whether a seller 'accepts' returns or not), and if they do so, the best option is to simply accept it and move on, IMO.  

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

My description clearly states that the lens is defective since it has fungus. That particular camera body doesn't sell for all that much, but the lens can, for upwards of $500. For anyone who thinks I'm trying to "get out of" a possible SNAD, my concern is a buyer who purchased an item with a known defect and then may try to get out of paying for it. My description uses the word "repair."

I had a similar situation a while back in which the buyer admitted he hadn't bothered to read the description. I took the return anyway rather than deal with potential bad feedback.

I suppose I'm just asking too much of buyers. Sigh.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Japanese buyers know what they are buying,he is probably interested in your camera for a reason.

I sold my mother's camera with fungus problem years ago,there were quite a bit of interest and bidding ,cant recall how much it was sold for,but no return and no complaint/ 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@jerseydevil1848

You might want to Google your camera. It is more special than you might think.

Is your camera a Prominent 1 or  Prominent 11? The 11 is worth more than the 1.

The Japanese are big camera collectors and this one is not easy to find.

I personally wouldn't worry.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I don't know if it's a I or II. Honestly, I really wanted to keep it and use it, but I have a 1968 Leica that needs an expensive repair, and I have to take care of my baby first! The Voigtlander really is special, I know, but it is kind of awkward to use, from what I've read, and my OH said, "You keep complaining that you can't afford to get that Leica fixed....sell this one and use the money to get that done."

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@jerseydevil1848 wrote:

I don't know if it's a I or II. Honestly, I really wanted to keep it and use it, but I have a 1968 Leica that needs an expensive repair, and I have to take care of my baby first! The Voigtlander really is special, I know, but it is kind of awkward to use, from what I've read, and my OH said, "You keep complaining that you can't afford to get that Leica fixed....sell this one and use the money to get that done."

OOOH! I'm jealous! Nice camera!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

When my father in law sold vintage cameras most of them sold to Japan. He said they love old cameras over there. You should've disclosed the fungus issue though.

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The OP did disclose the fungus issue in his original listing:

Unfortunately, the lens - Nokton 1:1.5/50 - has fungus. I'm selling this as a repair camera only because of the condition of the lens. 

Belle
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I agree with @swenson8781's suggestion. Just try to verify that the buyer understands the fungus and untested issues and still wants the item. 

I'd be more concerned about selling a high dollar item to a zero feedback buyer, especially if selling an item of this value is unusual for you.  Make sure you insure the item. I would also request signature confirmation for delivery.

Hope this turns out to be a collector knowing a good deal when he sees one!

Belle
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The fungus issue WAS disclosed, and I also had photos of it, describing it as looking like someone had smeared a used Kleenex over the lens.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply