cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's been screwed by ebay's Fedex "partnership"?

i just about had a fit when i saw a 20lb package show up  at 40lbs and this isnt the first time. Nubmers are completely random this is not a fat fingers one time deal. Its bad enough fees are through the roof now when i am suppose to be "saving" on takign advantage of ebay lanbel service i get raped like a forteen year old out in arab emirats.

I would say keep reciepts but they dont show drop off weight and  how many of us have the patience to deal with the call center that isnt even in US. Youre better off using your own fedex account , clearly someone is making up for the " EBay discounts"

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

What was the size of the package in inches. (all 3 measurements)

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

An eBay mentor of mine warned me about FedEx and gave me some great advice... if you are dropping off at a FedEx location:

When you present your item at FedEx, before you get the drop off receipt, specifcally ask them to update/adjust the weight in the system. I have only used FedEx a few times so I forget the exact keyword to use (update/adjust/enter). Some of the employees give me attitude, saying they can't weigh it if you already printed out the packing list, but that is complete **bleep**  Whether they say that because they are trying to rip us off, or because they just don't know how to do it, I don't know.

I insist they weigh my package and update the weight in their system, so it shows on the receipt. If they continue to say 'no', I specifically tell them that "when I called FedEx to complain about the charges, the rep told me to always have the package weighed and updated in the system." Then the employee gives me the 'oh you know about that secret' attitude and begrudgingly weighs the package.

Of my four trips to FedEx, three times they did comply, and I DID receive a receipt with the weight per FedEx's scale, which resulted in accurate shipping charges.

Hope that helps 🙂

The receipt reads:

----------------------------------------------------------

FedEx Ground Packages(s) - Dropped Off

xxxxxxxxtrackingxxxxxx      1.5 lbs.

Total Pieces: 1

In a world where you can be anything, be kind.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Easy fix. Don't use FedEx.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

You didn't answer my earlier question about the size of the box so let me explain why that was important.

Do you really think that FedEx is deliberately overcharging its customers? Why would they do that in the super competitive world or FedEx/UPS/USPS?

Aside from the business they would loose (you have said you will never use them again) there is the potential for a super gazillion dollar class action suit from some hungry lawyer. Remember when Subway had to pay out millions because their “12” inch sub was actually something like 11 5/8"?

Maybe the truth is that you just don’t understand about “dimensional weight”. As Kenny Rogers taught us: If you’re going to play the game you’ve got to learn to play it right.

A 20 pound box that measures 20x20x20 for example, cost significantly more to ship than a 20 pound box that measures 10x10x10 for example. Same weight, different size. All of that is clearly spelled out in their rate structure. UPS and the post office do the same thing. There is only so much room on the truck. This time of year the truck is typically full. A 20x20x20 box denies space to 7 other 10x10x10 boxes. You pay for being a space hog.

When you pull a quote from either FedEx or eBay’s calculator, be sure to enter the size as well as the weight. Try it next time. Enter the weight and then enter various progressively larger sizes and see what happens to the price

I use FedEx all the time and I have never had a problem. Learn the rules.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

+1 to Richard's FedEx post.

With FedEx, accuracy in weighing AND measuring is important.   Physically measuring your packages for dimensions and weight using an accurate scale goes a LONG way in preventing nasty surprises.  DO NOT look at a box, see the nominal dimensions printed on the box, and enter that into the shipping calculator---most of the time those measurements are interior dimensions. Shippers measure the as-shipped exterior dimensions.

And don't think, "Well screw FedEx for checking my packages, I'll just ship with the PO, they never check anything!"  Over the summer the USPS started rolling out its system to measure and weigh parcels in transit to do exactly what UPS and FedEx are doing....recoup revenue lost to people who short weigh or short measure their packages.

https://postalpro.usps.com/shipping/automated-package-verification-system

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I suggest you look up dimensional weight.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yeh, so how long have you been employed at Fedex?

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I shipped an item through Ebay/FedEx that Fed Ex damaged and the buyer sent pictures. The box was ripped open and blackened. I ended up refunding the buyer a portion (small dollar) of the purchase price in order to repair the damage, but when I contacted FedEx and asked for a reimbursement they told me Ebay was their customer and refused to deal with me. I even paid for additional shipping insurance. I contacted Ebay….crickets!  I am a multiple seller but.. Never again will I use FedEx.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@pauls_presents wrote:

I shipped an item through Ebay/FedEx that Fed Ex damaged and the buyer sent pictures. The box was ripped open and blackened. I ended up refunding the buyer a portion (small dollar) of the purchase price in order to repair the damage, but when I contacted FedEx and asked for a reimbursement they told me Ebay was their customer and refused to deal with me. I even paid for additional shipping insurance. I contacted Ebay….crickets!  I am a multiple seller but.. Never again will I use FedEx.

That's true. eBay is the "shipper" and would have to initiate the claim. I ship all the time directly with UPS. The same thing happened to me for the first time just recently. My UPS store manager filed the claim. I gave them the pics and proof of value. In the meantime, I shipped the buyer a replacement since I did have more inventory. Several weeks later, the UPS store cut me a check for the full amount of the purchase price, so it was like I sold two items but one didn't have any fees (eBay's or Paypal's) deducted.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@moxx wrote:

@pauls_presents wrote:

That's true. eBay is the "shipper" and would have to initiate the claim. I ship all the time directly with UPS. The same thing happened to me for the first time just recently. My UPS store manager filed the claim. I gave them the pics and proof of value. In the meantime, I shipped the buyer a replacement since I did have more inventory. Several weeks later, the UPS store cut me a check for the full amount of the purchase price, so it was like I sold two items but one didn't have any fees (eBay's or Paypal's) deducted.

There's a simple solution to the "eBay is the shipper of record".  Open a FREE FedEx account and link your eBay account to it.  You then can print you label on FedEx but still get the eBay discounts.  BUT when disputes arise YOU are the shipper of record and can work with them directly.

Also as previously posted, when you drop the package(s) off insist they weigh the packages and check that the weight shows on the label.  FedEx policy states the package will be weighed a minimum of 3 times.  Having that drop-off weight will be the FIRST one.  This helps greatly in challenging varying weights on a package, the dropoff scan/weigh count carries more authority in the dispute.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/shipping-returns-db

Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply