cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my options with a "damaged" item return

The buyer reached out and said that the item arrived damaged.  From the photos they sent, the box appeared to have been slightly crushed during shipping and appears to have been retaped by the carrier.  So, the box was definitely damaged.  I have shipped about 90 of this item and used the same box and this is the only issue I've encountered but the photos look legitimate.

Where I'm having issues is that the item is a soft hat.  The photo the buyer sent shows the top of that hat pushed in.  That's kind of the nature of the material of the hat.  You can push them in and they'll pop right back out, they are not rigid.  I suspect that the buyer is at best feeling buyer's remorse or at worst fraudulently claiming damage to get the item for free.

The handful of confusing messages and lowball offers from the buyer should have probably been a red flag.

Ebay is holding the funds.  I have never had a return or claim of damage and have a couple of questions.

If I offer a partial refund, is this in any way a mark against me or could it go badly at all?  I'm more concerned about my seller feedback than the money.

Should I be asking for more photos of actual damage?  Can/should I just file a damage claim with USPS instead?  I've never done this.

If I give the option to return and the item comes back undamaged, is there some way to make a counter claim?  If the item is not damaged and the buyer is required to return the item, does this ever work to call the buyer's bluff?

If the item is damaged, of course I don't want the buyer to pay for it.  I do have a strong suspicion that it's not actually damaged but at the end of the day I don't want to damage my feedback rating to fight it.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: What are my options with a "damaged" item return

You need to accept the return and issue a paid return label.  You then give a full refund when you receive it back.  It's the seller not the buyer have has to deal with any insurance.  By the way, insurance is only good for lost packages.  Damaged items will be refused due to poor packing.

If you let this go too long, eBay will refund on your dime and let them keep it for free along with a ding to your customer service rating.

The only other option you have to to just refund in full and let them keep it for free.  I don't like that choice but with expensive to ship items it's a way to cut your losses.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for that info.

Is there a negative to offering a partial refund?  At least I would make a little bit on the sale.  If this would cause a negative ding for me, then I don't want to do it.

I'd love to have the item shipped back but by the time I pay for return shipping, along with the first shipping and box and then pay for another box and shipping again to another customer, I've pretty much eaten up my profit margin.  It doesn't really sit well with me to let them keep the "damaged" item for free.

Are any of these options better or worse for my ratings?  Sadly, that's my top concern.  

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

"By the way, insurance is only good for lost packages. Damaged items will be refused due to poor packing."

EVERY claim I have made using USPS insurance was for damage done by the USPS, and every claim was paid. They cannot claim poor packing when there are literally fork truck tire prints on a box, or the box was mangled in a conveyor belt.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for sharing that.  I'll definitely look into it.  The box did look kind of crushed and had been re-taped.

I feel the hat is okay unless there is some damage not showing in the photos.  I've received pretty banged up boxes with fine contents in the past.  

One remaining question if anyone would be able to help - does offering a partial refund in any way hurt my feedback or rating with ebay?  If they refuse, do I then get the option to do a full refund?  I don't want to get penalized by ebay for this.

Thank you!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@browneyes776 wrote:

One remaining question if anyone would be able to help - does offering a partial refund in any way hurt my feedback or rating with ebay?  If they refuse, do I then get the option to do a full refund?  I don't want to get penalized by ebay for this.

Thank you!

The only way you would be penalized by Ebay is to not act on the claim.  You have to do something, either refund in full, accept the return and send a prepaid label or offer a partial refund, which the buyer CAN decline.  If they decline you would need to do either of the other two. 

If you let the buyer ask Ebay to step in, or if YOU ask Ebay to step in, you get an unresolved case strike on  your account.  These are fatal to a seller, it only takes a small amount to end your selling career.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Thanks, okay.  So maybe I'll see if they will be okay with half off.  If they decline they I will do a refund.  

When there is an issue or refund/return does either party leave feedback?

Thanks again.  I was a pretty casual seller before this small business venture.

I appreciate all the help!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

When there is an issue or refund/return does either party leave feedback?

They are still able to leave feedback.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@browneyes776 wrote:

Thanks, okay.  So maybe I'll see if they will be okay with half off.  If they decline they I will do a refund.  

That's a good way to handle it. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

You need to accept the return and issue a paid return label.  You then give a full refund when you receive it back.  It's the seller not the buyer have has to deal with any insurance.  By the way, insurance is only good for lost packages.  Damaged items will be refused due to poor packing.

Couple of observations regarding damaged in transit items:  

1:  Check with the carrier.  example UPS sometimes requires that a damage article claim be initiated before it is returned so they have an opportunity to have one of their adjusters inspect the item and the package....so keep your buyer in the loop as you may need their co-operation in the claim process. 

2:  Carriers will pay for damaged articles as long as it was packaged and insured properly.   Insurance covers your property against damage or loss while its in the possession of the carrier.  You are responsible for making sure that your item is delivered in as-sold condition to your buyer, so insurance is a very good and cost effective protection. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

A no news update.  I offered half off.  I added a note that I want the buyer to be satisfied and if they don't want a discount we can do a return.   I did ask for additional photos of the box and any damage for insurance.  I have not received any response to the message, 50% off offer or the request for photos.

I'll end up eating it on this but I know this is the cost of doing business.  I'm just glad that I have a lot of stock at the moment.  I don't know how sellers deal with one of a kind items being damaged or "damaged" whichever the case may be.

Huge thanks to everyone who has been helping me!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Okay, here's the resolution.   I had offered a 50% discount if she wanted to keep the hat and was waiting to hear back.

I asked for more photos showing the exterior of the box as well as the damage on the hat.  She sent box photos but no hat photos.  I said that I'd need them for insurance.  The buyer then asked if I would just refund her completely if I was going to file for insurance.   I told her that the carrier would contact her to pick up the box and hat for inspection.  

I told her it was completely up to her, she could take the discount if she thought she could use the item.  If not, I told her she could return it to me.  She accepted the discount.  

In the end, I feel taken advantage of but I'm glad I offered a discount rather than just offering a complete refund.  A return would have been a bigger loss for me but I think I would have preferred making her send it back rather than just giving it to her for free.  I guess this is just the cost of doing business.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply