cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird situation involving customs broker

So I got an email from a buyer today about 6 hours after they had purchased 10 items off one of my buy it now listings that they had used the wrong address.   The address was off by one digit.  Immediately after I received the email, I got another notice that they had purchased the last 5 units of the item now using the correct address.  So I emailed them and told them that I was cancelling the original order, which I promptly did and added the 10 units back to my listing.  They immediately purchased the 10 units again using the correct address.  Keep in mind that each of these units is about $160 each.   When I checked they buyer info, they have no feedback prior to the now 3 feedback from me.  The address they are shipping to is a customs broker located in San Diego, CA.  I was just gonna cancel the orders until I noticed the buyer account has been open since 2016 and is based in Mexico.  The item they purchased is a device that allows an individual to have wi-fi service anywhere there is a cellular signal.  

Anyway, I've been selling on eBay for quite a while and have encountered tons of scams.  This one just threw up a red flag when I saw a zero feedback eBayer shipping to a customs broker for such a large purchase.  However, I have had numerous multi thousand dollar transactions in the past with no issues.   Really, I can't think of a scam that could be happening here except for someone took over the account (had this happen numerous times where eBay will later charge me back) and/or stolen credit card (where eBay also charges me back).  However, it is bizarre that if it was a stolen card, it would allow a total of about $4000 worth of online purchases (since I cancelled the original $1700+ and they repurchased) and not flag it.  While it wouldn't kill my business to lose this much, it sure would hurt because most of my sales are under $20. Anyway, any thoughts on this?  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Just make sure you get signature confirmation.  Once received and signed for by the broker, you are protected except for an item not as described.  I'd also print the label from ebay so address is exactly as supplied to you and tracking uploaded for you.

For more expensive items, best to only list a few at a time, or set your buyer limits to allow one buyer only to purchase a limited number at a time.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thoughts: you fixing to get scammed man is the thought.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I went ahead and shipped it and seems like it was a legit sale.  Lucky me.  Now eBay has frozen my account for the increase in sales volume.  However, they are claiming it was because I had a case open against me for a $6 item that had not arrived yet.  Now they want my ID, a copy of my invoice showing who I purchased from, my business EIN notice, and a bank statement.  I think they are just holding my money to make sure I'm not scamming, but it's **bleep** that they're asking for all this.  I have sold on eBay for over 10 years.  One year was over 400k in sales on eBay before my wife and I were both in our careers.  But now suddenly they want to see my supplier's info?  Sounds like a scam to me.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

0 feedback purchasing multiple expensive items when  they probably only need one of them and it's  being shipped to a freight forwarding address.

Naaaw ,,,,, no red flags there,,,,,, cough cough.

Get signature delivery if you're going to proceed.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@abtactical   For myself I would not sell that kind of device to that country ... have you looked where the address is in relation to their northern boarder? 

" ... a device that allows an individual to have wi-fi service anywhere there is a cellular signal. ..."

Which I would assume can occur on both sides of the boarder ... not trying to get in to any politics here but I suspect the purchase of that many devices to one person with a zero FB account ID (regardless of when the account was created) could be for the wrong reasons ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I got signature delivery and the transaction was actually fine.  I contacted eBay prior to shipping and they told me "no red flags" on the buyers account.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Asking for your ID is something MP does if they have a need to verify your identity using another source.  Lots of sellers have experienced this.  Same with a copy of your bank statement.

A copy of your invoice is something they typically will ask for if they are trying to authenticate something and/or making sure it isn't stollen property.  With Ebay you don't have to worry about them competing with you so giving them your vendor isn't as concerning as it Amazon would be if they asked for that info because they do compete with their sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 8 of 8
latest reply