cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Canada Post

As an American, can I ship items in Canada via Canada Post? I live less than a mile from the Canadian border. I sell hockey cards and I notice the ones shipping from Canada sell for significantly more money than the GSP shipping method to Canadian buyers. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Shipping Canada Post

Are some in US dollars and some in the less valued Canada dollars?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Shipping Canada Post

Both in American funds.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Shipping Canada Post

Yes of course.

Just as a German tourist can buy Canadian postage stamps to send a postcard of a Mountie home.

Whether it is worthwhile to drive across the border, declaring your products as imports (Canada has a $150 duty-free allowance for entry plus a 5-15% sales tax with a tax-free allowance of $40) dropping off the packages in the nearest mailbox and/or PO and returning with a box of Timbits and a double double is another question.

OTOH a lot of Canadian sellers use freight forwarders to take advantage of cheaper USPS postage rates. The most popular are chitchat and Stallion which accept shipments and carry them to the USA with USPS postage affixed.  Both companies have multiple offices, but it's a big country.
I haven't used either, but many sellers love their service.

It might be worth your while to contact them and ask if they have a reverse forwarding service, US to Canada.

You can buy Canadian shipping labels through Shippo. You can buy discounted Canadian postage stamps (for LetterMail) here on eBay.

You would want to have a Solutions for Small Business account.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page?

And yes, even with currency exchange, postal rates are high here.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Shipping Canada Post

I don't think that it would make sense for you to go to Canada and ship with Canada Post.  The Canadian sellers are probably using letter mail to ship their items which does not have tracking.  If you are willing to ship without tracking you could use USPS first class international flat to ship from there. Technically you are not supposed to ship goods using that method but I know sellers that do use it.

If you were to ship within Canada with tracking, one hockey card would be anywhere from $12-$22 to ship.

Your best option might be to use Pirate Ship to print your labels.  Apparently they do have a less expensive rate for international packages.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply