cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to block international buyers using US freight transport company?

I just had an issue with a sale to an international buyer who used a U.S. freight transport company.  In the end, I'm going to take a hit.  It isn't much money this time, but it did alert me to the fact that I could face a very costly nightmare in the future.  I would like to not sell to international buyers using US freight transport companies.  It's just too risky. 

Wondering if anyone knows if and how I might be able to block them without blocking all international buyers?

I doubt if it is possible, but I thought I would ask just in case. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Way to block international buyers using US freight transport company?

Why are you "taking a hit"?  

When a buyer uses a fowarding agent it's up to them to ship the item back to the forwarding agent.  You accept the return and click the option to have eBay issue the shipping label.  That label is for the forwarding agent's address back to you. The buyer is responsible for the rest.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Your listings are 'worldwide', even though you don't have pricing for 'international'. Edit all your items, at once, by 'removing' worldwide sales. This will solve your problem. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I really don't want to stop selling internationally. I just don't want to ship to a third party - to a freight transfer company. And the shipments are domestic so I don't know that that would block an international buyer. It seems it is mostly happening with buyers from Asia. In the past, the buyer's profile indicated what country they are in, but in this case, it indicated she was from the U.S. and there was no indication I was shipping to a third party.

Someone suggested you can block payments in Paypal from buyers in foreign countries. Will have to look into it.

I wonder if using eBay's global shipping would stop buyers from doing this?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@johnsonsales-wisconsin wrote:
I really don't want to stop selling internationally. I just don't want to ship to a third party - to a freight transfer company. ...

Someone suggested you can block payments in Paypal from buyers in foreign countries. Will have to look into it.

If you block payments in PayPal from foreign PayPal accounts, that will block ALL international sales (and some sales to international people who are in the USA legitimately as well). 

I was going to suggest this, but if you want to allow foreign sales, there's no way to do what you're asking (block only third-party shipping).

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I'm taking a hit because I screwed up and sent a wrong item. And she said I have to pay the transfer company an additional handling fee to have it returned. It's not the money so much as the principle. Her profile says she is in the U.S. which she is not. I had no idea I was shipping to a freight transfer company. She employed the services of that company without my knowledge or permission. In this case, it's no big deal, but if it were something really costly, I could be a risk for a big loss.

I think this practice is deceptive putting sellers at risk without their knowledge.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I thought that would be the case. 😞 Was thinking I could block certain countries in Paypal like you can on eBay. Probably not. Haven't looked into it.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply